1.2 tsi CJZ advice

Jul 27, 2023
Hello, first time here,

I want to buy an 1.2 tsi CJZ 2016 90ps ibiza FR. {90-130k km...}
What to expect regarding reliabillity?
How bad is oil consumption on that mileage?
Are there other huge problems like valves deposits, turbo, manual gearbox, electronics?

Thank you all!

rdraheim

Jul 18, 2023
I bought a EA211 1.2 TSI like you off a neighbour moving abroad.

After buying I did extensive reading ...

The engines look VERY reliable and low maintenance compared to other VAG engines (previous EA111 1.2 TSI and the larger EA211/EA888 engines).

The weak points are:

1. thermostat housings warping and leaking fluid / water pumps leaking and wearing out the belt and causing overheating ... but this shows up as lost coolant in the overflow tank
2. wastegate actuator rods malfunctioning and/or fusing to the wastegate: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?attachments/wastegate-rattle-fix-jpg.147428/
3. oil control rings getting dirty and letting oil by leading to oil consumption
4. carbon build-up on the intake valves so badly that they won't shut fully any longer as misfires/burnt valves happen

HAVING SAID THAT

The EA111 1.2 TSI was less reliable and I have 151k mi (nearly 250 000km) on mine and it's been relatively trouble free.

Reactions: meme

rdraheim

Jul 18, 2023
Thank you for rhis answer.
I am affraid for 3 and 4 for this mileage...
It's always possible.

I don't see any symptoms of these on my older 1.2 TSI with 245 000 km and it still runs great with walnut blasting and doesn't use any oil.

B

rdraheim

Jul 18, 2023
That should say WITHOUT walnut blasting ... I've found the engine VERY reliable ... with the exception of being on it's fourth water pump.

For the rest of the car: 3rd set of front brakes, 2nd set of rears, used a gearbox up, a clutch set was required, entire front suspension needed (struts were leaking and the springs cracked). consumables aren't that cheap, but the running costs have been OK for 150k miles with the exception of the gearbox needs to be replaced (£520+4.5h labour for a used one ... £100 for the clutch bits).

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.