1.4 8v petrol consuption

kylesmithh

hi guys wonder if any 1 can help or give reference to the average fuel consumption as i feel theres something not quite right wif mine. i try not high rev it but wen its over revving doing 70 on the motor way in 5th u cant help it :( and on occasions a heavy foot

it works out that i am getting around 50-55miles for ever tenner i put in the car

£10=50-55 miles
£20=just over a hundred
£40 full tank =i get around 210-220ish

wonder if any 1 could say if this is average is it just seems a tad :wtf:

cheers x

T31LUK

hi mines exactly the same i keep saying ill change the fuel filter to see if that makes a difference but havent as yet

T31LUK

if i do 65 rather than 70 tho i get alot more miles per gallon

Riko

MURDER WAGON
Jun 10, 2007
Milton Keynes
Are you running standard airbox or have you put an induction kit on? If you have get rid of it! Ruins the perormance in terms of economy. Had one on mine and goosed the pre cat lambda so it was over fueling. Can you smell fuel inside the car?

kylesmithh

well it nice to no its not just my car.

How old are you?

Are you running standard airbox or have you put an induction kit on? If you have get rid of it! Ruins the perormance in terms of economy. Had one on mine and goosed the pre cat lambda so it was over fueling. Can you smell fuel inside the car?

everything standard

am saving engine mods for a cupra wen i can afford 1 :)

i cant smell fuel but some times out side the car it does smell a bit rich sorrta 2 stoke smell to it but thats only a few times ive smelt that.

EKE Ibiza

Jul 10, 2009
Devon
www.art-graphy.co.uk
Purely motorway miles i can get around 380 miles on a full tank. Actually just got back from Leeds. Plymouth - Leeds is 320miles. I some how did that on less than 3/4 of a tank.

Around town its crap £20 is around the 100

Matt_Tomlin

mines exactly the same mate. Really annoying when all your mates get around 180 on a 20 quid tank when i'm pushing 110.

Cainer

Nov 9, 2008
Mine is exactly the samebut according to a mpg calculator im doing 30 ish mpg

Dan1.6

1.6 Power FTW!!!!!!!!
Sep 26, 2008
Chesterfield
hi guys wonder if any 1 can help or give reference to the average fuel consumption as i feel theres something not quite right wif mine. i try not high rev it but wen its over revving doing 70 on the motor way in 5th u cant help it :( and on occasions a heavy foot

it works out that i am getting around 50-55miles for ever tenner i put in the car

£10=50-55 miles
£20=just over a hundred
£40 full tank =i get around 210-220ish

wonder if any 1 could say if this is average is it just seems a tad :wtf:

cheers x

sometimes i used to get less than that to £40

i know this might sound daft but with the cost of petrol rising again you do get less mpg

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
sometimes i used to get less than that to £40

i know this might sound daft but with the cost of petrol rising again you do get less mpg

understanding fail for you

Cost of petrol will not do anything to your fuel consumption

to the OP - the reason your mpg is crap is your age & driving style.

It will get better as you get older.

NorcyUK

i filled my tank in my 1.4, got 220 miles so far but its just hovering over when the fuel light comes on, and from then on it doesnt seem to last very long... i was considering a cupra next but the way things are going it might be diesel time

Dan1.6

1.6 Power FTW!!!!!!!!
Sep 26, 2008
Chesterfield

im looking at it in the way that if he puts £40 in everytime then hes going to get less mpg for that tank £40 if the petrol prices may have changed

Last edited:

BKR

TorqueDefinesIntelligence
Jul 15, 2008
Grimsby

so how much has your mpg gone up in your years?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
im looking at it in the way that if he puts £40 in everytime then hes going to get less mpg for that tank £40 if the petrol prices may have changed

Yeah, you're not understanding how fuel consumption works. You measure fuel consumption in miles per gallon - £'s don't come into it.

so how much has your mpg gone up in your years?

Plenty... my 1.4 Ibiza 9yrs ago struggled to get 17mpg, now my 2.0 Clio gets almost 2.5x that

Driving about in various rental cars recently that have been 1.4's (like the one I have now) is getting almost 55mpg

So it's your driving style... which will improve.

BKR

TorqueDefinesIntelligence
Jul 15, 2008
Grimsby
Yeah, you're not understanding how fuel consumption works. You measure fuel consumption in miles per gallon - £'s don't come into it.

Plenty... my 1.4 Ibiza 9yrs ago struggled to get 17mpg, now my 2.0 Clio gets almost 2.5x that

Driving about in various rental cars recently that have been 1.4's (like the one I have now) is getting almost 55mpg

So it's your driving style... which will improve.

still not true

the newer engines have more bhp out of the same size engines so there you are getting more torque from using the same amount of fuel and so onto better mpg

take the mk4 ibiza 1.2 for example the diff in prefacelift models and facelift modles

i have seen a 1.2 skoda fabia do 60+ mpg and the lad driving it is only early 20s

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d14/SirSparkSter/The Fabia/?action=view&current=DSCF0075.flv

Last edited:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
OK, you're splitting hairs... there's no way on gods earth a 1.4 Ibiza (1994 ilk) should get 17mpg.. unless the driver was a hamfisted twat.. which I was.

That's the point I'm making... it's most likely down to how the driver 'drives'

Dan1.6

1.6 Power FTW!!!!!!!!
Sep 26, 2008
Chesterfield
OK, you're splitting hairs... there's no way on gods earth a 1.4 Ibiza (1994 ilk) should get 17mpg.. unless the driver was a hamfisted twat.. which I was.

That's the point I'm making... it's most likely down to how the driver 'drives'

but what if he doesn't drive like you?

and has an acutal problem then this has been a bit of a waste of time

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members