1.4 coolant temp sensor location

haGGard

Nov 8, 2016
Hi guys, wonder if you can help

I have bought myself a new coolant temp sensor due to my temp guage only reaching 90 when sitting in traffic.

Ive heard its easy enough to fit but i cant locate it under the bonnet. Can someone point me in the right direction please.

Car is a 1.4 mk1 leon

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

haGGard

Nov 8, 2016
Sorry. I meant 60. It doesnt move off the resting place when driving. Which makes for cold drives to work in the morning as the heaters dont blow warm

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I think that you are backing a loser there! A faulty engine coolant sensor could give wrong readings, but it would not read low and supply you with an engine that also did not control its coolant well enough for it to heat up quickly!

Either you are expecting too much from that engine's coolant system, or the thermostat is faulty.

I tend to switch the fan off in cold weather for the first couple of miles to give the engine coolant time to heat up, before using that coolant to heat up the cabin.

haGGard

Nov 8, 2016
That may well be the case. But might as well start with the cheap part first.

Is there anyone who can actually answer the question in the first post please. Thanks

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
You will find it in the plastic housing area, that includes the thermostat, on the left hand side of the engine. I hope that you are aware that with these 1.4 engines, it is very easy to end up with an airlock in the system if you don't follow the correct procedure - which will compound your heater temperature problem!

No doubt you have bought a genuine VAG part along with a new O-ring seal and a new retainer clip - in case it flies away never to be seen again? Oh and a container of G12+/G12++/G13 coolant additive.

haGGard

Nov 8, 2016
Yep i have all the the bits needed. Thanks very much!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members