1.4 ecotsi slight rough idle

MA1601

Jan 3, 2023
I've noticed a slight judder on idle (even when warm) lately and the car seems a bit lazier when putting my foot down although that could just be me imagining things. No engine light on idle or during driving. The previous owner told me spark plugs had been changed but there is no proof. The mileage is 60k so I'm thinking as a first port of call replace plugs and I'll try to get any fault codes scanned (not expecting any to be honest). Do the ignition coils have a replacement interval? I've checked and it's around £130 for a set but rather not spend if I don't have to. Appreciate any other pointers.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I believe your plugs have a replacement interval at 60,000km or 4 years which ever is first.
So at 60k miles I would change your plugs.
Coil packs don't have a replacement interval.

#edit# if you have been told they have been changed (but without proof) - I would pull the plugs and have a look at their condition - to check if they are new, and also check they are the correct plugs?

Any direct injection engine can suffer carbon build up on the inlet tracks/valves which can cause running issues (some more than others - VAG seem prone!) - maybe you are in the beginning phase of that? Can be cleaned by 'walnut shell blasting'

MA1601

Jan 3, 2023
I believe your plugs have a replacement interval at 60,000km or 4 years which ever is first.
So at 60k miles I would change your plugs.
Coil packs don't have a replacement interval.

#edit# if you have been told they have been changed (but without proof) - I would pull the plugs and have a look at their condition - to check if they are new, and also check they are the correct plugs?

Any direct injection engine can suffer carbon build up on the inlet tracks/valves which can cause running issues (some more than others - VAG seem prone!) - maybe you are in the beginning phase of that? Can be cleaned by 'walnut shell blasting'
Thanks for the suggestions. I had the car scanned and as suspected, no codes thankfully. Will still be changing the plugs, ordered OEM Bosch. Having had a read of the forums and Facebook, looks as if a coil pack puller tool is needed to avoid getting the rubber boot stuck. Was so much easier on my old Mk6 GTI.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Thanks for the suggestions. I had the car scanned and as suspected, no codes thankfully. Will still be changing the plugs, ordered OEM Bosch. Having had a read of the forums and Facebook, looks as if a coil pack puller tool is needed to avoid getting the rubber boot stuck. Was so much easier on my old Mk6 GTI.
If you are anywhere near Hayes, Middlesex, I have a Coil Puller.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.