1/4 mile performance figures for TDIs

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
Sorry devonutopia dunno if you missed my question earlier on about the cams, did they make any difference??

I probably did. :D I think my cam does help, but I'm not sure it is aggressive enough, so have asked Allard to look into possibly doing a like for like swap with a more aggressive cam, but I'll let them look into that and make recommendations - Would sooner keep what I have than risk anything a bit dodgy.

My cam now does allow me to go past 5000rpm, but I never really do - absolutely no point. But I think my cam does help speed things up in the upper rev range, but once at 4700-4800rpm, I just shift up.

shadowmaker

2.5TDI 228kW 587Nm@1,3bar
Feb 28, 2007
Sorry devonutopia dunno if you missed my question earlier on about the cams, did they make any difference??

They make a huge difference as in gassers, but you need to be carefull to not lose bottom end torque totally.

My car doesn't seem to rev past 5000rpm at the moment :s have been told this is due to the injectors running out of steam, also was told by a friend that is a technician for vag cars that revving a diesel to the limit is a really bad idea and its the best and quickest way to blow up the turbo that aside when i get my injectors in jan i will ask jabba to try and raise the limit so i can hit 60 in 2nd as thats my only problem with the car at the moment 2 gear changes to get to 60 which kills the 0-60times

Nope. It's not the injectors that restricts revving. If it were that my 5cyl TDI (VE) wouldn't still have 90% of power @5150rpm. Even people with 4cyl (VE) don't seem to get there, so it's not because of the injectors. This applies to PD too.

turkish

Mar 14, 2003
Kent
Visit site
Do the Ibiza's have different gear box ratio's to Golf/bora's etc ? I always change gear at 4500 - it will pull easily to 4700 but after many attempts in timing the difference's it is never any quicker to hold on for the few hundred RPM's.

Mine red-lines at 80 MPH in 3rd and 4th is at 4500 RPM at 100 MPH, 5th is good for 120 and 6th so far an indicated 152 MPH. I know down 1/4 mile I would need 4 gears.

Out of Interest, finally after fixing my leaking IC pipe and remvoing the undertray "well it fell of numerous times so i decided to get rid of it, thinking it might help IC and turbo cooling" I managed :

0-60 6.34
0-100 13.97
0-120 20.35

I was well impressed, this was on the the same stretch of "private road" that I have been doing all my performance tests since April, 1/4 tank of fuel, 9.5 degrees outside.

To add when my Bora was standard it managed 0-100 in 19.9 ! Much better now :)

Sisson

Club member
Aug 18, 2005
Derbyshire
my old 130 ibiza, hit 117mph in 4th on the Rolling road!

btw. you won't hit 100 in under 14 unless it has some serious engine tuning...

most mapped 130's hit the 1/4 at 14.8ish at 92mph

turkish

Mar 14, 2003
Kent
Visit site
Yep it's a heavily tuned Bora TDI 150, It can turn out constant mid to low 14's to 100, just never got it literally below, but hey that could have been my timing or the fact it was colder outside.

Mikey_H

258.7BHP 39?ft/lb
Feb 15, 2007
Buckingham
now running 240bhp and 497 nm thats just after the re-map next job is getting the head done then injectors see what she runs then got a rr day tomorrow can't wait to see what it reads there then going to a few 1/4mile days in jan so will see what my 1/4mile times are doing now :D have a look at my thread in the ibizamk4 section the intercooler is massive compared to the forge or seat sport one :D

Mikey_H

258.7BHP 39?ft/lb
Feb 15, 2007
Buckingham
They make a huge difference as in gassers, but you need to be carefull to not lose bottom end torque totally.

Nope. It's not the injectors that restricts revving. If it were that my 5cyl TDI (VE) wouldn't still have 90% of power @5150rpm. Even people with 4cyl (VE) don't seem to get there, so it's not because of the injectors. This applies to PD too.

you have 90% of your torque still there at 5150????

shadowmaker

2.5TDI 228kW 587Nm@1,3bar
Feb 28, 2007
you have 90% of your torque still there at 5150????

I only wish.:cartman:

Power = horsepower. I have 285hp still @5150rpm. Top power is 310hp @4900rpm. No propane, no NOS.

With steeper cam I can get top power some three hundred revs higher (also gain 30hp more), but with it my turbo spools really late (3200rpm). Not that ideal for daily driver weighting 2000kg...

strugers1

hi all is santa pod on a slight incline??
my friends and i permanently borrow one of them measuring wheel things that you walk with to measure 410meters!!
we found a long flat stretch of road where we spent a whole day practicing launching and dragging up this strip!!
my car was doing 15 and a half average times in the damp is this about right??would it be around the same time up santa pod??as i was hoping to hit late 14s??

Sisson

Club member
Aug 18, 2005
Derbyshire
Sounds about right. dont forget youd get better grip at santa pod due to the stickier tarmac.

I reckon you could get it down to 15 dead. as the leon weighs abit more than the Ibiza...

How were you timing?

strugers1

i was timing by setting my clock then as it hits a minute starting the trying to stop it as i went over the line just a rough estimate

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members