1.4tdi potential injector issue causing diesel knock - stuck & need Help.!!

northern monkey

Mar 3, 2008
Tyne&Wear
Hi Guys n Gals

My OH has a 1.4tdi that has been pretty much faultless since new, however, last sunday she came in saying the car was making a noise and there was lots of smoke.??

I drove the car and couldn't initially see a problem, then as I accelerated on a slip road it happened......really load clattering noise, so I pulled over and turned the engine off, gave it a minute then started it up, revved it a couple of times round to about 3.5k and the revs just flew round the redline without any input from me.
I turned it off straight away and waited a few minutes then started it up, it was fine and I drove it home ok.
My inital thought was a seal had gone in the turbo and it was oil burning off in the exhaust.

It stood until the tuesday morning when I started it up to drive to my mates garage but it was running really lumpy as if on 2 cylinders and was spewing out horrendous amounts of smoke which stank of unburned diesel.
I towed the car there instead, now it was in the garage until friday and all they'd done was remove the rocker cover and test for continuity in the wires leading to the injectors, which i was told was fine.

I turned up on the friday to see how it was going and whilst there they put the rocker cover on and ran the car, it was still churning out loads of smoke but sounded a bit better as it warmed up.
I then suggested unplugging the air mass meter, which cured the smoke quite quickly and the engine seemed to sound more like normal. I then took it for a drive and it seemed fine.
The instruction was to drive it over the weekend and try plugging the AMM in and see if it came back, which I did yesterday morning and sure enough within a minute the knock was back and so was the smoke.

I unplugged the AMM again and went to Veedubs to get a new AMM, put the new one on, came home and plugged it back in, again, the racket and smoke came back, I unplugged it and went back to Veedubs for a plug in on VCDS, which showed the AMM unplugged and an old uncleared Cam position sensor fault....but on the way there it happened with the AMM unplugged....same symptoms......stuck throttle, racing revs and clattering.
The only thing the VCDS revealed was that at tickover with AMM unplugged no 2 cylinder was flat out and the other 2 were showing negative values.
With the AMM plugged in it showed mariginally better then the clattering and racing revs came back.

I'm pretty much stuck now and dont want to go down a road of changing this that and the other at great cost. I want to know pretty convincingly what the problem is so it can be fixed first time round.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem is??