1.5 tsi DSG wheel spin

GordonMcC

Feb 8, 2017
Ayrshire, Scotland
I have a new Ateca now with 140p miles on it.
Even under what I would call a light foot it has a tendency to wheel spin.

Is this common?

I recently got rid of a Cupra 290 and I can't remember that wheels spinning as much as this when pulling away ad that was twice the power

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Summer tyres in Winter, summer tyres don’t like under 7 degrees Celcius.

will be better in the summer

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
I get that part however I still never had this problem before. I do find the accelerator very sensitive compared to the Cupra.

Its a PITA
As others have said the summer tyres are garbage in the lower temperatures. I had a lot of wheel spin when I first got the car but I felt the throttle was not responsive enough. So I plugged in my Carista into the car and there is a throttle response behaviour, mines was set to 'gradual by time' but I changed it to 'direct to throttle response' and its fixed my issues. Car pulls away as I would expect with my input and this has helped me stop the wheel spinning as much as possible.

Reactions: Danny77

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I get that part however I still never had this problem before. I do find the accelerator very sensitive compared to the Cupra.

Its a PITA
Lighter engine and less weight over the front wheels will also add to your woes.

are the tyres Bridgestone Potenza’a by any chance, they come on the leon mk3 from new and they are completely awful tyres especially at this time of year

Reactions: iScoTT29

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
Lighter engine and less weight over the front wheels will also add to your woes.

are the tyres Bridgestone Potenza’a by any chance, they come on the leon mk3 from new and they are completely awful tyres especially at this time of year
Yeah that's the same tyres that came on my MK3 and now my Ateca, they are truly awful unless its a bright summer's day. I changed to Michelin Pilot sport 4's on my MK3 and the difference was night and day.

Danny77

Nov 13, 2018
As others have said the summer tyres are garbage in the lower temperatures. I had a lot of wheel spin when I first got the car but I felt the throttle was not responsive enough. So I plugged in my Carista into the car and there is a throttle response behaviour, mines was set to 'gradual by time' but I changed it to 'direct to throttle response' and its fixed my issues. Car pulls away as I would expect with my input and this has helped me stop the wheel spinning as much as possible.
Will be doing this as soon as I get my Ateca 1.5 DSG. Does the £25 Carista plug in do the job do you know?

Reactions: iScoTT29

Danny77

Nov 13, 2018
Yes I done this myself. It is better however I find it harder to drive smoothly now 😂
Hahaha. It's counter-intuitive re. the wheelspin actually isn't it? You'd have thought 'gradual over time' would make the wheelspin better not worse. Do you think it feels quicker btw, overall with the 'direct response'?

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
Hahaha. It's counter-intuitive re. the wheelspin actually isn't it? You'd have thought 'gradual over time' would make the wheelspin better not worse. Do you think it feels quicker btw, overall with the 'direct response'?
Made a huge difference to myself. As soon as I step on the pedal I want the car to move and it just didnt on gradual by time, it took what seemed an age to start moving. With direct it definitely takes a few days to get used to if you have driven with the gradual by time for a while like I did before changing but it is 100% worth it. You have so much more control to pull away smoothly or as quick as possible :p On a warm day the car feels just as quick as my old MK3 leon that had the 1.4 150bhp engine.

Reactions: Danny77
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.