1.5 tsi ongoing problems, please help

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
Thanks for the acknowledgement - I'll post some more details if anyone's that interested.

Earlier this evening I did my first 2nd gear 'hoon' full-on acceleration. The lower ambient
temperature of 18 deg. C must have helped, as the Performance Monitor 'KW' gauge hit a
'steady' high of 135 KW, (181 HP) - although I'm dubious as to how accurate the gauge is.
Quick 3 month/2k mile update - the 1.5 TSi remap is still performing very well, although still not had an
opportunity to try it in properly cold conditions as yet.

One small 'glitch' that it didn't do before is sometimes the cold idle will gently bounce/flutter between
the usual rock-steady 750 RPM and 850 RPM. As it never does this when warm and the car pulls cleanly
away every time, (regardless of conditions) it is of no bother to me. Fuel economy has settled down now
that I'm driving it, (mostly) sensibly again, with a 4% improvement overall.

One thing that did happen recently for the first time of me noticing was a faint whiff of clutch smell after
a full-bore 3rd gear overtake. No actual slip was noticed, but I'll take it as a warning not to indulge my
inner racer too often. Coincidently, it was only this month that I learnt of a VAG 'factory' 190 PS version
of the 1.5 TSi DADA engine - it was actually done by ABT and fitted to a limited-edition Skoda Scala 'S'
for the German market. They claim a very healthy 190 PS, but seemed to have 'limited' maximum torque
to 290 Nm, (over 314 Nm was quoted on mine) - maybe ABT knew, (or Skoda insisted to them) that the
clutch wouldn't cope well enough at a higher output level?

Reactions: Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
One small 'glitch' that it didn't do before is sometimes the cold idle will gently bounce/flutter between
the usual rock-steady 750 RPM and 850 RPM.
My 1.4act has a lumpy idle at all times. Never bothered me as it's a lovely engine in all other respects.

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
Quick 3 month/2k mile update - the 1.5 TSi remap is still performing very well, although still not had an

the usual rock-steady 750 RPM and 850 RPM. As it never does this when warm and the car pulls cleanly
away every time, (regardless of conditions) it is of no bother to me. Fuel economy has settled down now

One thing that did happen recently for the first time of me noticing was a faint whiff of clutch smell after
a full-bore 3rd gear overtake. No actual slip was noticed, but I'll take it as a warning not to indulge my
inner racer too often. Coincidently, it was only this month that I learnt of a VAG 'factory' 190 PS version
of the 1.5 TSi DADA engine - it was actually done by ABT and fitted to a limited-edition Skoda Scala 'S'
for the German market. They claim a very healthy 190 PS, but seemed to have 'limited' maximum torque
to 290 Nm, (over 314 Nm was quoted on mine) - maybe ABT knew, (or Skoda insisted to them) that the
Just had my 2019 Golf 1.5 TSI serviced by the same company/guy that did the Stage 1 remap on it
some 15 months ago. The car has done just shy of 24K miles and has been going very well, with no
known issues, warning codes or anything.

We discussed beforehand about replacing the factory spark plugs. He stated that usual advice about
how factory plugs are often better than replacement VAG ones, but that I could change them now, or
could probably wait until 30K/next year without problem. On balance I decided to have new NGK's
fitted this time - a wise choice as apparently the old plugs were found to be in quite a poor state.

For my own curiosity I also asked for a dyno power run to see how the engine output had changed
compared to when the remap was done, (on a hot 31 C day with ethanol-free Esso 99 in the tank.)
It would be fair to say we were going from one extreme to the other - the car had just been serviced
with those new plugs, the intake temperature was down to 13 C and it was being fuelled by Tesco 99
Momentum this time.

The result was quite dramatic as the image shows - the stonking 360 Nm of torque generated would
explain the clutch smell I had noted in the previous post - as it's just above the 259 lb/ft, (350 Nm)
known limit of the car's MQ250 manual gearbox, (eeek!) - with the 186+ HP figure also being very
'healthy' in context.
remap update.jpg

Reactions: Mr Pig
Feb 7, 2024

1.5 TSI-DPCA. cri1410sti=at=yahoo=com

1.5tsi-dpca, 110kw, mq281-uet, ECU sw update (in 2023) from 0863 to 1910, Kangaroo 50% fixed.

i'm 99% sure that the kangaroo is from bad ECU maps engineering.

Feb 7, 2024
Hi, found that Kangaroo is related to the exhaust camshaft advance/retard when the engine is cold/when preheating the catalitic converter.

It is because the ea211evo does not have a physical EGR, everything was made with the inlet/exhaust valve overlap in order to decrease NOx.

So don't ask for the usual power remap (with the lambda and timing advance, like all do), ask instead for the exhaust camshaft tweak at low RPM and low driver demand (for less overlap with the inlet).

SSP-253 info there, you can also check by yourself with a tester.