1.5 tsi ongoing problems, please help

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I disagree. We have both and I prefer the 1.4 TSi any day. It is free revving, smoother, lighter, quieter, has a much wider power band and pulls better low down. At tickover you can't hear it. I don't think there will be a lot in it acceleration wise but the petrol feels faster. As the revs rise, so does the power, which is what you expect. Like all diesels, the TDi gets to a certain point and power falls off a cliff. And of course it's making a horrible racket by that point.

If you do mega miles then fair enough but as a drivers car the petrol wins hands down.
Depends what you like, i like the torque of the diesel, i have always preferred the power delivery of the diesels. I feel the petrols lack the torque.

small turbo petrols always seem a bit wheezy to me.

then again each to their own every1 has a different opinion.

the s-tronic / dsg does really help the 2.0l tdi, i remember my friend had a manual 150 and it didnt seem all too fast. My auto 2.0l tdi 150 on the other hand is a bit of a rocket in comparison.

Last edited:

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
That makes sense as the computer will know exactly when to change gear, which is so important in a diesel.
It’s good as it’s always in the correct gear, mash the pedal and compress the kickdown ball thing at the end of the throttle pedal travel and it takes off.

even my friend who has a golf 150 tdi was impressed with the pickup.

i guess if you have the manual and you floor it you have to wait until it’s on boost to get going whereas the auto will drop a few cogs without thinking about it.

Vag8

Jul 5, 2019
So I am narrowing the choice or replacement for my 2018 Leon 1.5 130 EVO TSi ST that I hope the dealer will take back. Having seen some reviews of the DSG in the 2019 Leon I am slightly steered back to diesel with a DSG. I had a DSG Passat that was heavy and not great. I am coming from 10 years ownership of a Skoda Octavia 140bhp 2.0L TDI which was fast but noisey - but have no reference points for the comparative merits of each in a Leon. Such as what is the difference between FR, FR Sport (wheels/hard suspension?) and FR Technology (bolt on gadgets)?

So my Leon ST choices are either:
1.4 150 FR
2.0 190 TDI FR (or Excellence) DSG with paddles 2019
2.0 190 TSI FR (or Excellence )DSG with paddles 2019

To be honest having owned a 1.5 130 myself I could not think of a worse engine to have after a 2.0 TDi - the 1.5 130 is an absolute wimp of an engine with just 200Nm torque the same as the smaller 1.0 115bhp 3 cylinder block (albeit the 1.0 is more characterful and nicer to live with than the 1.5 130) but neither is anywhere near the 320Nm you would have been used to with diesel you had before.
In my experience the 1.5 130 was a hugely disappointing engine if your any sort of driver, yes it will get you from A to B efficiently and quietly, but with no sense of motorists enjoyment.

I haven’t driven the 1.5 150 so can’t vouch for that one but I wouldn’t dismiss the petrol engines in favour of a diesel, diesel seems to be the latest bad boy on the block dispute huge advances in Nox reducing technology you will find other larger cities implementing clean air zones and diesel may end up costing you in the long run - so my advice is do some serious homework and try the petrol engines, especially the hybrid/mild hybrid is you can and the dealership may have 2.0 petrol for you to try which is cracking especially with dsg.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
It’s good as it’s always in the correct gear...
I've driven autos, including a 150 Leon FR I had as a courtesy car, and I just don't like them. I totally get how it might suit the diesel really well but to me the fun of driving is working on the skill of the whole thing. I find autos annoying.

I've never driven the 130 petrol, never thought it would be enough. To me the 150 is the base line. It's an adequate engine for the car if not startling. Performance is just about enough and economy is pretty good but let's be blunt here. Neither the 150 petrol or diesels qualify as sports cars. They are not fast enough, they do not handle well enough and they do not provide nearly enough feedback for a keen driver.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I've driven autos, including a 150 Leon FR I had as a courtesy car, and I just don't like them. I totally get how it might suit the diesel really well but to me the fun of driving is working on the skill of the whole thing. I find autos annoying.

I've never driven the 130 petrol, never thought it would be enough. To me the 150 is the base line. It's an adequate engine for the car if not startling. Performance is just about enough and economy is pretty good but let's be blunt here. Neither the 150 petrol or diesels qualify as sports cars. They are not fast enough, they do not handle well enough and they do not provide nearly enough feedback for a keen driver.
2 years ago i had a manual FN2 civic type R, i can appreciate both types of transmission. The auto was bought to accomodate the missus as she only has an auto license.

they both have their own pro’s and con’s, a diesel auto is no big drama as diesels are boring anyways so the auto matches it well, plus having an auto in a traffic jam / stop start town driving is a god send, especially as i had a knee op. on my left (clutch) knee 2 years ago.

the manual on the civic type r was lovely and felt worthwhile, nice free revvy engine with a snappy precise gearbox made for a nice engaging drive.

so both transmissions have their own appeal.

last year was the 1st time in the UK auto outsold manual, 51% auto to 49% manual. Along with electric vehicles (auto only) unfortunately manuals will eventually be phased out (new ones at least) so manual will soon be a classic car only event.

jdubya

May 30, 2017
South West
Reading this thread enhances how subjective people’s opinions are - so sticking my 2p’s worth in! I had a 2016 2.0TDI 150 ST FR Tech with the DSG and overall it was a nice car but the DSG sometimes not knowing what gear to be in (at junctions/roundabouts) or having to drive unnecessarily to “clear” the DPF regularly eventually pushed me to get rid!! My choice was simple - it had to be a petrol & manual and after a bit of searching around I fell for a Cupra 300 manual and put quite simply I love it and enjoy driving it each & every time I get in it! And before all you fellow Cupra owners comment back saying the DSG is better remember opinions are subjective and this is mine!
My advice Roberta Robot is try as many different models as you can as putting in the leg work now will be worth it and stop you having to possibly live with a car you don’t fully enjoy - good luck! 🤞👍

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Pig

SeatDan

Jul 15, 2018
Update, still no better over a year later, car jerks, hesitates and just runs poorly, dealerships cant seem to fault when tested.

It does also go into 2 cylinder mode very roughly when the car is at its worse, and also when the car is running well, you can here the turbo whistle and noise, yet when its running badly when its jerking and no power, i cant here any turbo noise at all, plus it feels like i am having to drive the car harder to get anything out of it, which also shows a considerable drop in mpg.

Its just so frustrating as im stuck with a car i hate and i have so much negative equity in the car, i cant exactly swap the car out for something else.

Anyone ever had a fix for this, as i have already had the update to the ecu for jerking and cold running and also injectors replaced in jan 2020.

matthab

Jun 16, 2010
West Midlands
Update, still no better over a year later, car jerks, hesitates and just runs poorly, dealerships cant seem to fault when tested.

It does also go into 2 cylinder mode very roughly when the car is at its worse, and also when the car is running well, you can here the turbo whistle and noise, yet when its running badly when its jerking and no power, i cant here any turbo noise at all, plus it feels like i am having to drive the car harder to get anything out of it, which also shows a considerable drop in mpg.

Its just so frustrating as im stuck with a car i hate and i have so much negative equity in the car, i cant exactly swap the car out for something else.

Anyone ever had a fix for this, as i have already had the update to the ecu for jerking and cold running and also injectors replaced in jan 2020.
So you bought the car on Seat finance and have been having issues with it for a year?

Time to write to the finance company and ask for rejection, I admit this will be hard after having the car for a year, but if you have been battling it all this time you may have some success.

Reactions: Mr Pig

jdubya

May 30, 2017
South West
Totally agree with Matthab - time to start looking for an exit from the car! Try the finance company - talk to Trading Standards to establish what your legal position is. I would also write to as many motoring press/magazines as you can seeking some form of guidance as this is 100% unacceptable. Has your vehicle been into your dealer many times? If so attempt to get the “history” on it to bolster your case - looking at the forum here and reading how much of a common issue this is it strikes me as you have a strong case for positive action. Good luck and keep us posted 🤞

Apr 19, 2021
I bought a used 2019 Seat Leon ST FR EVO (130) DACA engined car, 19000mls.
The issues in order of severity:
1 - I get the flat engine response between 1500 and 2500rpm in cold and hot. Trying to pull away briskly is difficult.
2 - There is a slight sign of cold start fluctuation of power and jerkiness - I hope this does not get worse. In 1st or 2nd gear when crawling below 10mph you can see the rev counter needle bumping up and down as the cold auto-throttle copes with the poor combustion in the cylinders at low revs.
3 - There is no detectable difference between driver sport and eco modes at any speeds. I assume the difference in shorter Sport throttle travel/feel is masked by the general issue of low end flat engine response.

I recall test driving the Leon, and the sales guy spent some time showing me the controls with the engine idling... he knew I owned another Leon but kept me talking. In retrospect I wonder if he was warming the engine?

The main dealer engineer looked at the problem, and whilst on the docket it did not detail any software update and merely said everything fine - their engineer reported that he experienced the jerky cold engine moveaway and the flat engine at low revs that I reported, and no difference in driver modes. He updated the software and said there was improvement … and I don’t see that, and I am sceptical of that verbal report.
This problem was brought to the Main Franchise dealer in April and they are still arguing the toss. They say the faults are a characteristic of the car and "technically there is nothing wrong". They will either buy it back from me - but dock me >£1500 (even though they say prices have gone up and they'll put it on the forecourt at £1500 more than I paid for it 3 months ago. OR they'll get a replacement vehicle... a 1.4 FR 150 which they'll charge me £15,500 trade price (no mark up) even though they sold an identical one a week ago for £13,000. I am feeling like the are taking me for a ride.

Vag8

Jul 5, 2019
This problem was brought to the Main Franchise dealer in April and they are still arguing the toss. They say the faults are a characteristic of the car and "technically there is nothing wrong". They will either buy it back from me - but dock me >£1500 (even though they say prices have gone up and they'll put it on the forecourt at £1500 more than I paid for it 3 months ago. OR they'll get a replacement vehicle... a 1.4 FR 150 which they'll charge me £15,500 trade price (no mark up) even though they sold an identical one a week ago for £13,000. I am feeling like the are taking me for a ride.
Yeah it looks like like they want their cake and eat it… they should be doing you a better deal than that but to be fair they are holding all the cards… the 1.4 150 is a sweet engine in every way a better and more compliant engine than the 1.5 130. But before you do any deals have you done a WBC valuation on your car to see if that’s an option?? Even with finance they can do a deal … might be worth 5 mins if your time ?

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
So they say it’s a characteristic?

what a load of nonsense. Complete as5holes

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Yeah it looks like like they want their cake and eat it… they should be doing you a better deal than that but to be fair they are holding all the cards… the 1.4 150 is a sweet engine in every way a better and more compliant engine than the 1.5 130. But before you do any deals have you done a WBC valuation on your car to see if that’s an option?? Even with finance they can do a deal … might be worth 5 mins if your time ?
@Roberta Robot; also try Motorway and Wizzle car buying services. Their affiliated dealers tend to offer better prices for cars than WBAC does. If using a car buying service, always be completely honest about the condition of the car, even any minor stone chips - if they’re not declared, the initial indicative value of the car will based on it being immaculate and totally unmarked (most cars have one or two marks on them), then it’s highly likely that initial valuation will be knocked down when the car’s inspected and a stone chip or small scratch is found.

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast

The fact you can feel/tell at all when the car goes into 2-cylinder mode indicates there is something wrong with it, aside from all the other poor-running symptoms. The only way I can tell when my 1.5 Golf is in 2-cylinder mode is when the display informs me,
certainly the car makes no noise or jerkiness to give the game away.

Clutching at straws a bit, but possibly a trip to a different VW/Audi dealer to check/see if they can apply any updates to your car that have been missed by others so far?

If still no joy and getting your car rejected is just too much hassle/expense, then biting the bullet and paying for a decent remap from a well-reputed outlet may be the best option - at least you should finally end-up with a car you can enjoy driving and be getting better economy/performance from. I'm assuming the car is nearly at the end of the standard 3-year warranty by now, so that element at least won't be an issue any longer.

I would steer-clear of any outfit that just downloads 'tailored' maps though - pay the extra for a proper rolling-road set-up that you will only have to have done and pay-for the once - but ensure first that they are aware and can cope with the 1.5 DACA/DADA engine as it has an ECU which VAG has made harder to 'crack' than the earlier 1.4 engines.

mdaw1985

Aug 3, 2008
St.Leonards, East Sussex
From what I have seen they can't just plug it in to the odb port to remap. They have to take out the ECU and put it on a bench and do it that way. Although I have the sweet 1.4 150 in my Leon, I'd be interested to see if this does fix the issue. I'd be interested in the 1.5 150 if a map can fix the issue. Otherwise I'm staying clear of this engine when it comes to replacing my Mrs Ibiza. Both 130 and 150. I haven't yet seen anything to suggest the problem is still on going in the MK4 or golf 8 etc. I wonder if the mild hybrid has fixed the issue. Although not all have it.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021
Update.
The dealer eventually bought the car back from me whilst still stating there isn't anything technically wrong with it. He hadn't driven it. He paid back the purchase price, minus a fee per mile for the mileage used in the 3 months when they argued the toss about the problem. He admitted he'd put it on their forecourt for more than I paid for it. He also secured "compensation" for him from Seat UK. As I handed the keys back of the immaculate car he threw in "you'll get your money in 4 days because accounts are busy". Any dealer loyalty I had evaporated there and then. I managed to get a lift back by the staff of the dealer - he drove my old car... and I hid the Driver mode display as I switched it and asked him to guess what modes he was in. I changed it 5 times and he guessed incorrectly 5 times. I told him to hold a steady 50mph at 5th gear (1800rpm) and accelerate. He had to floor the peddle.

Next day I bought a replacement - identical to the spec of the Leon the main dealer tried to fleece me with - except my new buy was £2800 cheaper. So if you are in Basingstoke, don't go to the main SEAT dealer.

matthab

Jun 16, 2010
West Midlands
Update.
The dealer eventually bought the car back from me whilst still stating there isn't anything technically wrong with it. He hadn't driven it. He paid back the purchase price, minus a fee per mile for the mileage used in the 3 months when they argued the toss about the problem. He admitted he'd put it on their forecourt for more than I paid for it. He also secured "compensation" for him from Seat UK. As I handed the keys back of the immaculate car he threw in "you'll get your money in 4 days because accounts are busy". Any dealer loyalty I had evaporated there and then. I managed to get a lift back by the staff of the dealer - he drove my old car... and I hid the Driver mode display as I switched it and asked him to guess what modes he was in. I changed it 5 times and he guessed incorrectly 5 times. I told him to hold a steady 50mph at 5th gear (1800rpm) and accelerate. He had to floor the peddle.

Next day I bought a replacement - identical to the spec of the Leon the main dealer tried to fleece me with - except my new buy was £2800 cheaper. So if you are in Basingstoke, don't go to the main SEAT dealer.
Glad you got the result you wanted and haven't left the brand after all that. I suspect the pandemic helped here as used car prices have gone bonkers.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.