1.6 Tdi lack of power

gray1978

Nov 12, 2015
Hi All

First a bit of history, the car has given me a few problems over the last 6 months, it had a new cambelt back in November (standard maintenance but was overdue depending on which website you look at). Shortly after it developed a fault which resulted in a new airflow meter being fitted, couple of months later I had an electrical fault which affected the power steering and brakes, caused by a worn through wire 'near the air box' according to my garage.

Has been OK for a month or so but is now suffering from intermittent lack of power, generally at low revs, typically around 1500rpm. I drive quite frugally so say I short shift from 3rd to 4th and hit about 1500rpm, there just won't be any power, put my foot down and the car stutters a bit but there's nothing there. Have to change back down to third and boot it.

Any ideas? Could it be some dodgy fuel (last fill up was at Tesco I think) or something related to the airbox (I had a quick look at it this morning and one of the joins in the system did feel a bit loose), or something more fundamental? After the problems of the last 6 months the car is on its last chance!

10 plate, 62k miles.

Last edited:

gray1978

Nov 12, 2015
Trawl through some forums indicate it might be EGR valve.

It's due a fuel stop so might put some of Shell's good stuff in it and give it an Italian tune up on the way home.

Anybody have experience of using any of the EGR cleaning fluids / additives?

gray1978

Nov 12, 2015
Been to the garage today, coming up with fault code P040100 which is indeed the dreaded EGR fault. Anyone have more info on this code? It's from a Bosch diagnostic.

Booked in again next week so they can have a 'proper' look at it as they're saying it might not be a full EGR replacement, fingers crossed.

Modern diesels are a scam IMHO. The only reason they're so 'clean' is because all the crap stays inside the engine rather than coming out the exhaust, resulting in all these EGR and DPF issues. Once upon a time people used to say a diesel engine wasn't run in until it had done 100k miles, now I reckon you'd do well to keep one running for that long.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
They clog up very quickly if they do alot of short trips, or you don't thrash the guts out of them every so often.

gray1978

Nov 12, 2015
They clog up very quickly if they do alot of short trips, or you don't thrash the guts out of them every so often.

Well, my daily commute is 20 miles each way, mainly on dual carriageway. I do about 12000 miles a year, in hindsight I shouldn't have bothered with the diesel. It looks like the daily stop-start battle to get out of the city and onto the A road has caught up with me after 4 years.

I suppose I should be thankful that it's done 62k and not had the issue at 30k as some people have had. It's the inconvenience which is bugging me as much as anything, my garage has given me a competitive quote to replace the EGR (if indeed that's what it needs), but they can't do it until next Tuesday and I'm reluctant to drive the car, nearly didn't get me home last Friday :(

gray1978

Nov 12, 2015
New EGR finally fitted today, part is faulty so it's back in on Thursday. Turning into massive pain in the arse this!

Wife went to pick it up and I asked her to take a picture of the part, unfortunately this is what I got! Can anyone tell me what I'm looking at here!

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton
New EGR finally fitted today, part is faulty so it's back in on Thursday. Turning into massive pain in the arse this!

Wife went to pick it up and I asked her to take a picture of the part, unfortunately this is what I got! Can anyone tell me what I'm looking at here!

EGR cooler I believe??