1.6 TDI to 2.0 TDI

Sergio

Jul 27, 2011
Leeds and/or London
It's upgrade time, and despite the numerous faults, the Ibiza is still the best option.

I'm tempted to go from a 1.6 TDI CR Sport to a 2.0 TDI FR. My question is, what can I expect MPG wise?

From what I can see (What Car true MPG, Honest John MPG, etc) the 2.0 is actually easier on fuel. It will be used mostly for motorway journeys, but with some in town too.

Does anybody have experience of both and can say either way, or have experience of the 2.0 and agree that 60 mpg is easily doable on a run at 80?

Cheers,

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I have a 2010 2.0TDi SC FR

knocking around and a little dual carriageway work sees an easy 50+mpg

Longer motorway trips will see 60+mpg.

I have found the car to be very overgeared and have needed to change driving style to get better mpg.

The engine seems most ecanomical in lower gears with higher revs and light throttle.

Typically you use 3rd gear in 30 limits, 4th in 40 limits, 5th in 50 limits etc

Using cruise control on the motorway is more ecanomical in 5th than 6th.

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
Not directly comparable but my mates 2.0TDI passat generally betters my 1.6TDI ibiza over the same route.
I'd expect the 2.0 to be even better in the Ibiza with the much lower weight it needs to lug about.

thestopwatch

tend to agree with deano ,I own a 2.0tdi Ibiza and find the gearing high,i use 4th to 50,5th to 60 and sixth above that and get high 50s on motorway speeds.

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
Not tempted to upgrade to the Leon? I think you gain more from a bigger car than a bigger engine in the same car

BaldyDave

Mildly Deranged...
Aug 12, 2011
Central Belt Scotland
The 2.0TDI engine in the FR is a peach! One of the main things I liked about the car when I owned one. Fuel economy in the low 50s easily achievable, and more if you want to drive like a granny. ;)

jellybabybandit

May 1, 2007
I have baldydaves old fr and I manage about 45 to 48 knocking about the streets and if the mrs uses it for work ( 66 mile round trip motorway) she gets 60 to 65 mpg

And that's it running a DTUK tuning box and I ain't light footed either

Sergio

Jul 27, 2011
Leeds and/or London
It is done. After dealing with a colossal bell end at Watford Seat - thought he was a genius because he knew what an APR was and was generally a belligerent little **** - we went down to Currie Motors in Barnet and got a fair part ex and a decent discount, it amazes me how some places stay in business.

Apr 23, 2010
Here
Didn't drive economically in mine and got 46 average based on actual tank-tank calculations. The trip computer always told me I was getting more though.

That was tracked over 64 fill ups and 24k miles. Mine was remapped though, so I tended to use the extra power a bit more than normal :)

FOX1429

Aug 6, 2012
Wales
Get 48 mpg brim to brim and that's mostly shorter (4 to 6) mile journeys and I run a tdi tuning box on it.

Sergio

Jul 27, 2011
Leeds and/or London
Looking good so far - still getting used to the gearing. Done 750 miles in 5 days and the improvement is vast. It's **** at very low town speeds but so much better everywhere else.

Anybody looking at the 1.6 TDI should go down the 2.0 route instead, the initial cost will be clawed back in lower fuel bills in no time at all.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise