1.7SDi Alternator removal/change help???

daverp84

have just got my lil beast through another year on its MOT and fixed several parts etc... and decided that the unknown cambelt condition/change considering it's done 160k was due to be done... So took up the struggle of doing this and in the process done my water pump and aux belt... then a few days later battery light.. tests revealed its the alternator so ordered a new one..

Have the new one and managed to unbolt the old one but for life nor money can i get it out without by the looks of it stripping the whole engine/engine bay apart!!??
Can anyone help?? is a really urgent matter as need car back on the road ASAP and can't seem to find any help anywhere :'(

daverp84

Nothing on youtube? You could also try searching the vw equivalent as it'll be the same, lupo maybe.

Have tried everywhere, usually fix up cars as a hobby etc... Just really don't want to be stripping the car apart just to remove the alternator.. :confused:

daverp84

done it!! in the end i just decided to remove the headlights etc, front grill then the front bumper etc and just cut the square for cooling the alternator bigger so that it fits through! :) think i saved myself alot of effort rather than trying to remove various engine parts, lol

daverp84

yeah it is, when i intially done the cambelt etc i replaced the lifters too, as done 160k and was noisey.. now i have a terrible racket coming from the diesel injector pump, are they serviceable? as a new one costs near to £400! :/

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Are you sure it's the pump? Get the part number off it and google it. It'd probably cost you the same as a new one to get that one serviced lol.

Should be a plate on it or something with a number to google anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same pump as a few other cars including the 1.9 sdi in the likes of the Mk4 golf. (I think it's a 1.9)

daverp84

yup i'm 100% sure. will go and have a look now and see what its worth doing.. car has been chucking out a fair bit of black smoke lately.. and that was before i did the glow plugs etc etc.. and still the same, possibly the injectors need doing but its the racket from the pump that is ridiculous now seeing as tappets are all new now

daverp84

Are you sure it's the pump? Get the part number off it and google it. It'd probably cost you the same as a new one to get that one serviced lol.

Should be a plate on it or something with a number to google anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same pump as a few other cars including the 1.9 sdi in the likes of the Mk4 golf. (I think it's a 1.9)

no number on it at all :/ but yeah alot of the stuff is the same as a passat 1.9 etc..

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
There is a number on it, you just haven't found it yet. Might be able to get my hands on a 1.9 sdi pump, mate picked up an sdi caddy but it's getting the tdi treatment. We can see what info we can find out, I could get his number for you if it's compatible.

daverp84

its ok, will try and source one locally(you're up north, i'm south of gatwick) and yes you are right its the same as the ones in the 1.9 diesels i believe..

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Well let me know if you get stuck, he's sound and he wouldn't ask stupid money, I'd see to that lol. Try not to pay any more than maybe £50 if you can, you might need to go to the £100 being down south mind but I can't see them getting much call for the pumps as they don't really go very often.
I have a good one for the tdi in the shed that's done 180,000 but is still perfect and the one on my car is at about 160,000 miles. I don't know why yours has gone so early but it's really not that common over here because we get decent fuel.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members