1.8t vvt chain rattle?

mrcupra

Hi ive got an auq engine but the chain has now started to rattle, is this something i should worry about or is just going to be an annoying noise, also how much does it cost to repair im running 230bhp and i dont want to blow the engine with it snapping

I no that if a timing chain rattles its ok but with this engine they have a cambelt and a chain any help would be great

cupraian

Where is the noise coming from, I have an AUQ engine and my VVT solenoid went earlier this year. New solenoid, chain, cam belt and waterpump was the wrong side of £700. Part of the skids the chain runs on broke of on mine too causing the timing to skip a couple of teeth.

VVT soleniod and chain are located on right hand side (standing looking at the engine from the front) on the end of the rocker box.

NickT

Mar 29, 2004
LB, Beds
mrcupra/cupraian
How old and what mileage are your respective cars?

cupraian
Do you have to have the cambelt done if the VVT solenoid or chain has to be replaced?

I only ask as this is a new one on me and I have a 6 year old LC with an AUQ engine on 70k and just had the water pump and cambelt done.

cupraian

Nick,

Don't think so mate, they're on opposite sides of the engine. Mine was replaced mainly because thetiming belt had jumped a tooth and so the belt needed to come off anyway to reset the timing, also my car had covered 52k (on an 02 plate) so It was worth getting it done at the same time.

The guy that did mine (PSI Tuning in Newcastle under Lyme) said that he'd only seen a couple fail, the other was on a Tarts Tourer

NickT

Mar 29, 2004
LB, Beds
Cheers Ian, was hoping you'd say something like that.
I half guessed the reason there's not much about this on SCN was cos it was a bit of a rarity, you've saved me from going into headless chicken mode.

Just out of interest do you know how catastrophic, if at all, it would be if the VVT solenoid and or the chain were to fail whilst driving?

cupraian

I don't think it would be too bad if the solenoid only failed. The chain only acts betwen the two cams and is not directly linked to timing. At a certain rev point (2500rpm i think), the solenoid activates and tensions the chain causing bank 1 and 2 cam to advance or retard (don't know which). This in turn starts to operate the 3rd exhaust valve.

If the chain broke there is a fair chance it would catch on the gears on the end of the cam and cause a serious hicup with timing

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.