1.8TSI 180 or 1.5TSI 150

Ashley Weightman

Dec 26, 2018
Hi all, new to the group here

I'm thinking of getting a mk3 Leon later this year, has to be manual and has to be the face-lift model.

My heart says get the 1.8TSI as I've wanted one ever since the mk3 came out, but they aren't very common especially in the face-lift model.

The 1.5TSI is much more common and available in the FR black edition trim (I'd have to visually modify the 1.8 which isn't a bad thing), plus the engine is slightly more modern than the 1.4TSI 150.

Has anyone had experience of both the 1.8 and 1.5? As in the past I've only seen threads comparing the 1.4 and 1.8.

Thanks in advance ??

Big Vinny

Oct 14, 2012
I have a 2019 1.5 TSI 150 DSG which has always run absolutely perfectly and can return over 60 mpg indicated on a run, but have only covered 6k miles from new - "Eclipse Orange" rules !

Reactions: Ashley Weightman

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
I have the facelift model 1.5 FR DSG & a friend has the 2.0 FR DSG, both hatchback. Been DSG my 1.5 appears to not as yet (16k) suffer from any engine issues, I constantly return 45-50 MPG, the 2.0 is around 40-45 MPG, you can notice the 2.0L is quiker however, due to less weight in the 1.5 you can enter a corner quicker, unless perhaps you have any weight in the boot as the 2.0 has independant suspenction, but I've not been in the 2.0L with any weight on.

Reactions: Ashley Weightman

Ashley Weightman

Dec 26, 2018
I have the facelift model 1.5 FR DSG & a friend has the 2.0 FR DSG, both hatchback. Been DSG my 1.5 appears to not as yet (16k) suffer from any engine issues, I constantly return 45-50 MPG, the 2.0 is around 40-45 MPG, you can notice the 2.0L is quiker however, due to less weight in the 1.5 you can enter a corner quicker, unless perhaps you have any weight in the boot as the 2.0 has independant suspenction, but I've not been in the 2.0L with any weight on.

How much of a gap in power and torque do you actually feel between the 1.5 and 2.0?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
The reason i went from year 2015 reg 1.4 tsi to year 2108 reg 1,8 tsi fr avoided the 1.5 due to engine faults.

I have the 1.4 TSi ACT and I must say it's a sweet engine. More torque low down than you would expect. You need to visit the upper part of the rev range to go quickly but it's a nice engine.

Still would like the 1.8 but mainly for the independent rear suspension. I'm happy enough with the power of the 1,4. It's not crazy fast but brisk enough.

Reactions: mdaw1985

silverbawz

Dec 3, 2017
inverclyde
I have the 1.4 TSi ACT and I must say it's a sweet engine. More torque low down than you would expect. You need to visit the upper part of the rev range to go quickly but it's a nice engine.

Still would like the 1.8 but mainly for the independent rear suspension. I'm happy enough with the power of the 1,4. It's not crazy fast but brisk enough.
I really liked my 1.4 TSI ACT great engine just wanted a bit more power when changing car.

Reactions: mdaw1985 and Mr Pig

mdaw1985

Aug 3, 2008
St.Leonards, East Sussex
Completely agree with Mr pig. The 1.4 TSI is a good little engine. Had mine for 18 months and it's been economical and is lovely and smooth in its delivery of the power. It's a very good all rounder. Well the 150 version is. Can't speak for the 130.

Reactions: Mr Pig

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
1.5TSI Evo 150 engine in manual guise is the Kangaroo edition. DSG versions are not! There are a lucky few who's 1.5 manual doesn't or only lightly Kangaroos only when cold. If you are insistent on the FL, 1.4 EcoTSi is out, but most say this is a superior engine to the replacement 1.5 TSI Evo. That leaves you with mainly the 2.0TSI 190. A few 1.8TSI 180 may have made it to the FL. I do not know if 1.5 Evo 130 manual kangaroos or not.
Till today I wonder why on VAG PHEV cars, they use the 1.4 ACT and not the 1.5 Evo. Maybe they needed to squeeze out every 100cc of space in the engine bay?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
The facelift isn't a better car anyway, I wouldn't go out of my way to get one. It's a cost cutting job. The only thing better that I can see is the suspension setup is a bit better. And high beam is a little brighter.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
How much of a gap in power and torque do you actually feel between the 1.5 and 2.0?

Unfortunately my friend has always been passenger when I've driven his 2.0 L, I've not done many miles in it and been careful but, the tourque is more noticable from lower rpm and I feel the 2.0L doesn't need to reved out like the 1.5 needs to be. I came from a Leon mk.2 2.0L TDi, so was used to low down torque, the engine been so much smother is a pleasure and I got used to reving the engine more. You really need to drive both..

The facelift isn't a better car anyway, I wouldn't go out of my way to get one. It's a cost cutting job. The only thing better that I can see is the suspension setup is a bit better. And high beam is a little brighter.

Is the infotainment screen bigger in the face lift?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Is the infotainment screen bigger in the face lift?

Yes, but you loose the direct access buttons and need to go through the on-screen menu to get to to the different functions. So you gain something you don't notice and loose something very useful. The smaller screen and buttons is better.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Yes, but you loose the direct access buttons and need to go through the on-screen menu to get to to the different functions. So you gain something you don't notice and loose something very useful. The smaller screen and buttons is better.
Aye but the smaller screen looks crap,

its like saying an iphone 4 is better than an iphone 12 cause the iphone 4 has a home button.

plus the facelifts get the auto handbrake and it is far superior to the old manual one.

Reactions: silverbawz

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
1.5TSI Evo 150 engine in manual guise is the Kangaroo edition. DSG versions are not! There are a lucky few who's 1.5 manual doesn't or only lightly Kangaroos only when cold. If you are insistent on the FL, 1.4 EcoTSi is out, but most say this is a superior engine to the replacement 1.5 TSI Evo. That leaves you with mainly the 2.0TSI 190. A few 1.8TSI 180 may have made it to the FL. I do not know if 1.5 Evo 130 manual kangaroos or not.
Till today I wonder why on VAG PHEV cars, they use the 1.4 ACT and not the 1.5 Evo. Maybe they needed to squeeze out every 100cc of space in the engine bay?
To confirm the 1.5 tsi manual 130bhp is nicknamed “Joey” it loves to hop.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Aye but the smaller screen looks crap

I drive both every week. In use you do not even notice the slightly larger screen. The missing buttons are annoying every damn time!

The auto hand brake is not better either. If you're a lazy gadget junkie I'm sure you'll like it but for any keen driver it's worse.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Does the 1.5 150bhp hop too or is it ok?
I think so, the DSG masks the issue from the reports i’ve read.

so manual 130 and 150’s certainly have the issue, my 68 plate 130 was shocking, hence me getting rid of it quick smart.

Reactions: Mr Pig
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.