1.9 tdi not starting

rudey

i have a seat alhambra p reg , 2 weeks ago driving back from london it cut out sudenly ( almost like fuel had run out, but it had fuel in it ) cranked it over would not start ( glow plug lights come on and go out etc..)
got recovered (after 2.30hr wait with rac )
after it got home next day
stripped of the fuel filter , filled new filter with fuel tried to start same problem ,brought an inline hand pump to prime fuel into high pressure fuel pump, still not starting
cracked of injector nuts and no fuel was coming through from high pressure fuel pump,
i then replaced timing belt and high pressure fuel pump , now fuel is coming through but not under pressure ?
, timed it back up -replaced water pumps ( it was noisy ) re-greased the idler pulley etc...
not starting

i have used my m8ts solus and vag software and there is NO codes present !!! after it had broken down there were no codes present either
it seems like a mechanic fault
, it will run on easy start , i am thinking about towing it as i think that the high pressure pump is not turing over fast enough , is there anything else i can do ???

any help would be greatly apreaciated smile.gif
as i am at the end of my tether

ok update , just towed around block 5 times no smoke from exhaust , and vehicle trying to run ... but still no good sad.gif

trinialhambra

well at least you have that luxury, here in the caribbean where there are a mere 4 or 5 of them on the whole island no one wants them, they wont even steal it if left on the side of the road and open

Hahahaha

I really need to get a Scanner !

rudey

The scanner won't help on older models :)
If you use an andriod phone download a program called torque get a bluetooth obd interface $25

trinialhambra

OK, my mechanic found that the TIMING belt did indeed burst.
So as im doing this change - what else do you recommend i change as im at it?

90landrover

Jul 1, 2008
Rhondda,S Wales
not sure about a diesel but if I were doing a timing belt change on a petrol I would certainly change the tension pulley, water pump and the alternator belt whilst I had everything stripped down.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
If the timing belt has gone you'll need to take the head off and change some valves if not all of them, any contact weakens them and they can drop later. As for the belt a full kit is the norm including the water pump and a scanner or vagcom is very handy on older tdi cars, mine's on a 2000 plate with a rock solid ve type engine, really good but to get it at its best you need to be able to set the timg etc and also do the IQ, makes all the difference.:)