1.9TDi starting problems

Beaconjon

Jul 31, 2008
Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone's hears any reports of starting issues with the Mk5 1.9TDi?

The wifes car sat on the drive this morning churning away not even trying to start. After 5 or 10 try's we tried pushing the throttle to the floor. It only just fired. It was fine for the rest of the day.

This isn't the 1st time. The cars only got 4k on it. We also own a Mk1 Leon TDi130 with 83k and it's never failed to start (almost the same engine right?).

Any feedback would be great. It's off to the dealers on Monday.

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
had a 19tdi for 7 months 5500 miles always started first time, can't say the same about my leon 2 tdi fr bit of a trick to start, got used to it now.

bigman75

Jul 21, 2009
Wolverhampton
Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone's hears any reports of starting issues with the Mk5 1.9TDi?

The wifes car sat on the drive this morning churning away not even trying to start. After 5 or 10 try's we tried pushing the throttle to the floor. It only just fired. It was fine for the rest of the day.

This isn't the 1st time. The cars only got 4k on it. We also own a Mk1 Leon TDi130 with 83k and it's never failed to start (almost the same engine right?).

Any feedback would be great. It's off to the dealers on Monday.

Hi

I have the same car too. To be honest i've not experienced any of the problems you mention. I've done about 8.5k. However, if I was you I wouldn't ignore this and have it investigated.

IMO, from what I've read about other peeps experiences with the 'new' 1.6 common rail I think the 1.9TDi is a much more reliable engine, defo regarding MPG. I'm glad I bought mine when I did (May 2009.) I'm pretty sure that the mk1 Leon is the PD engine, same as ours.

That said, i'm looking at the Leon 2.0 TDi 170 FR (cheaper than Audi) which I believe is the newer CR engine.

Let us know what happens or if indeed it happens again.

Cheers,

Andy

Beaconjon

Jul 31, 2008
Hi

I have the same car too. To be honest i've not experienced any of the problems you mention. I've done about 8.5k. However, if I was you I wouldn't ignore this and have it investigated.

IMO, from what I've read about other peeps experiences with the 'new' 1.6 common rail I think the 1.9TDi is a much more reliable engine, defo regarding MPG. I'm glad I bought mine when I did (May 2009.) I'm pretty sure that the mk1 Leon is the PD engine, same as ours.

That said, i'm looking at the Leon 2.0 TDi 170 FR (cheaper than Audi) which I believe is the newer CR engine.

Let us know what happens or if indeed it happens again.

Cheers,

Andy

Thats partly the reason I was more than happy to have the 1.9 as i was more than happy with the PD in the Leon. Lets just hope it's a small issue.

Piston N Broke

May 27, 2009
Banbury Oxon
I have done 11500 miles now with no problems.

It does sound like you have a rogue problem.:confused:

Please let us all know how you get on.:think:

After all we MK5 1.9 TDI owners are a small and exculsive band![B)]

Barrie:D

MK 5 1.9 TDI Sport 5dr

Beaconjon

Jul 31, 2008
Well the dealer had it over night in prep for a cold start the following and it started on the button and there were no fault codes recorded from previous non start mornings.

Funny thing is last weekend we left it untouched on the drive for 2 days, got in early on Monday, nice and cold and sure enough it didn't want to fire.

We're going to leave it unused this weekend too and see if we can get it to repeat the problem, then we may be on to something.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Sounds like a flaky lift pump in the tank to me, be worth checking delivery to the filter when it won't start.

Beaconjon

Jul 31, 2008
I have to replicate the problem.

Where is the filter Techie? It does sound like fuel starvation as when it eventually fires it's only on 1 or 2 pots initially then it kicks in and runs fine.

Could you clarify what the lift pump does?

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
There is an electric pump in the tank. It's job is to lift fuel up to the engine bay as the tandem fuel pump on the engine can't draw fuel from the tank. So if the lift pump stops the filter runs dry.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.