16" versus 17" alloys

Aug 13, 2020
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but in the case of a Leon mk3 1.2L TSI which comes with 16" as standard, does the 17" alloys being equipped mean the speedo and odo will be slightly off? Or do the eletrics get adjusted with the newly fitted wheels? Does the answer depend on whether they're fitted at manufacture versus afterwards?

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
There are loads of websites where you can choose wheel and tyre size combo's and it will tell you the rolling diameter and how it compares to your current combination.
I use this one;

www.willtheyfit.com

@redtee34 - bear in mind you need to consider more than just the diameter of the wheel when changing size. You also need to factor in the wheel’s offset, bolt pattern and centre bore size and the possibility of having to new bolts and fitting spigot rings. If you’re considering genuine OEM Seat wheels as the replacements, that won’t be an issue, but if you’re looking to get a set of aftermarket non-Seat wheels these factors need to be considered. Also, bear in mind that if you’re going aftermarket, then the Seat centre caps might not fit.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I'd always stick to OEM/Seat wheels. They'll be the right size and fit, you know the quality is good and your insurance company won't care. Also, if you break one you'll be able to pick another wheel up on eBay etc. Aftermarket wheels? Best of luck!

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I think the Leon 1.2 SE would come with 16" as standard, SE Dynamic, the 17". 205/55 and 225/45 respectively. Me personally the 17" are just the right size for a car like the Leon. Had cars with 55 profile tyres (very comfy) and 40 profile (good handling, but ouch when going over pot-holes). A 45 profile tyre would be a good compromise on everything, handling, relative comfort, looks, cost of tyres etc.

Reactions: redtee34 and Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Me personally the 17" are just the right size for a car like the Leon.

I agree, I think 17'' is the sweet spot. I think 18'' would actually be fine with the softer suspension but they look a little odd with that ride height.

Aug 13, 2020
Does anyone have any insights about road noise? (It's not easy for me to test drive both wheels close to my home.) I know road noise will inevitably be louder with larger alloys, but trying to gauge how significant impact it will have on the stereo B roads/motorway, in the case of an mk3 as I have come across discussions of road noise being an issue with various engine/wheel combos in this range. Someone suggested sound proofing was an area where Leon cut costs compared to eg. Golf.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Does anyone have any insights about road noise?

If you up in size one inch, the extra road noise is not significant. Yes, there is a little extra rumble there but even on 18'' wheels it's not terrible. In fact I would say that tyre choice is more important. A noisy tyre will make a bigger difference than one inch on the wheels. Which is actually only half an inch less rubber if you think about it.

Reactions: redtee34

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I have just bought some cheapo aftermarket ones. Was umming and arring was going to get some BBS but the missus would kerb them to smitherines so just opted for some cheap ones instead. Wish me luck

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Does anyone have any insights about road noise? (It's not easy for me to test drive both wheels close to my home.) I know road noise will inevitably be louder with larger alloys, but trying to gauge how significant impact it will have on the stereo B roads/motorway

Had an Leon 2.0TDI SE Tech on 16" for 2 years. Sat in a Leon FR with 17" the entire day during a road trip, I didn't notice any increased noise on the FR 17".

Reactions: redtee34

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
Just took delivery of a mint set of 2 year-old 16" OE alloys from a non-VAG car that uses the same 5x112 PCD and similar offset to my Golf 7.5.

Apart from ditching the big 205/65 tyres they came with, I had to buy some spigot rings and smaller centre caps, but this was a minor expense
in context. The original VW wheel bolts can be used with their caps in this particular case and the new wheels are 1/2 inch wider, (7J) and rather
lighter than anything found across the VAG brands spectrum in the 16" size that I wanted.

It took quite a lot of research to track-down the most suitable rims - but if I do need a replacement wheel anytime, by using such a manufacturer
OE wheel I can at least always get another off fleabay pronto for £60-£90 depending on condition.

Attachments

• IMG_20201016_120843.jpg
    IMG_20201016_120843.jpg
    705.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.