18" or 17" alloys

Apr 2, 2022
Hello to everyone! First of all, sorry for my bad english! I'm writing from Italy and i'm here to ask some advices about Seat Leon mk4 alloys/wheels.
I actually have a black Leon mk2, but unfortunately I'll have to change it. I ordered a Leon mk4 1.5 FR (magnetic grey... really no idea why I didn't choose black... I'll regret for long time) but I'm very unsure about the 18" alloys.
I think they can be too much rigid on the asphalt (mostly on the bad roads here, and I'm actually with 16" on my mk2) so I asked them if it was possible to swap the 18" for the 17".
They offered to change them when the car will arrive (they're Seat branded seller and repair shop) and they'll mount the 17" dynamic 30/3. I absolutely don't like them, too thin, but better than driving uncomfortable, I guess.
Anyway I really can't understand why here we have to have the 18" as standard and fixed choice for the FR version.
Any experiences or advices? And anyone that can post a comparison photo?
Thank you!

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
I had a Mk3.5 in magnetic grey, its a great colour had 18" performance alloys and decided to change the car for a Mk4 1.5 FR, black wasn't my first colour choice (having had a black car before) but it was available and didn't want to wait possibly up to a year (dealer info) for a colour of choice factory order. Love the car, however need to keep on top of cleaning it. Shows the dirt quicker than the previous Leon or my wife's light blue car. The standard wheels are 17" in the UK and I do notice the ride is not as harsh as the previous Leon on 18" wheels. Its also something my wife commented on, she hated the harsh ride on the last car.

Dec 6, 2021
I have a MK4 FR 1.5 e-TSI with 18" wheels. Even on Confort Mode i find the suspension to be very stiff.

But that's my personal taste. Would recommend 17" for a more confortable ride without losing too much driving dynamics,

Ken78

Mar 21, 2022
I have a MK4 FR 1.5 e-TSI with 18" wheels. Even on Confort Mode i find the suspension to be very stiff.

But that's my personal taste. Would recommend 17" for a more confortable ride without losing too much driving dynamics,
It's all a matter of personal preference. I have a MK4 Fr with 18"wheels and I find the car kind of soft for my taste due to suspension I think.I also find that the 18"X7.5 are narrow, I would like them to be at least 18"X8 or 8,5

Apr 2, 2022
Sorry for late reply! Thank you everyone for sharing opinions.
Yern, I think that for the Mk4 the black colour suits better, I think you've been lucky to have had that option at first, but I fully agree with you about the dirt problem! Same is happening with my black Mk2.
For the wheels, i'm laughing seeing completely opposite replies from Besugo and Ken! At this point I'm thinking that it must be really a matter of personal feelings.
Anyway, I have an update: the car dealer told me to keep the 18", because in any case I'll have to buy smaller wheels for the winter; they said: "do not buy 18" or 17" winter tires, because they're too much dangerous. We'll give you 16"wheels+winter tires".
Let's see. The only good thing could be that in case the 18" will be too stiff, I can keep the 16" even for the summer ones (using my actual tires, that are basically new).