16V gear linkage broken

scos

Jul 25, 2005
The plastic thing that one of the cables bolts on to on top of the gearbox has snapped! I did have a problem a couple of months ago where this cable disconnected itself from the selector and I had to tighten the nut up again but this time the whole thing has sheared off! Anyone had this problem? The result is that you can't get 1st or 2nd, 1st becomes 3rd because lateral movement of the stick has no effect. I guess I can get a replacement plastic bit, dealer only? Anyone know how much it is and how to disconnect the cable from the old (snapped) one?
Thanks.

scos

Jul 25, 2005
Sh*t - I hadn't thought of that, you're probably right. In which case i might try some araldite first!

Red Ibiza VR6

Dec 24, 2005
Sydney, Australia
I think itll be the funny shaped thing that the cable slots into. Goto the stealer. I had to change one on my VR6 beeza and it was only $40 in Australia. Shouldnt be much on that side of the world. Took 5 mins to change with a 13mm spanner. The heat kills em. good luck.

Red Ibiza VR6

Dec 24, 2005
Sydney, Australia
No pic, cos its back on my car. It was proper melted though. It wouldnt heal itself. Mine had distorted and would have broken at any time.

Could your heat issues be something to do with the linkages under the car. Maybe missing heat shield. That would matter less in winter.

scos

Jul 25, 2005
A metal one would be better, I might try and make one if I have time.
I will try the dealer before the araldite though - don't worry ;o)
Just haven't had time to go there yet, will let you know the outcome on Friday or Saturday hopefully.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members