17, 18, 19 Wheels

hamst

Jun 5, 2020
Hello guys,

My Ateca comes with 17" wheels. Thinking of upgrading to 18 or 19. My only concern about the 19 is that my ride won't be as comfortable. I do lots of milage.

Is the upgrade from 17 to 18 worth it?

Thx

Mihai A.

Apr 24, 2020
antoce.me
The 19s are not only uncomfortable, but they bring out the worst in the build quality, the whole car squeaks, and rattles. I now have a mild form of traumatic stress.

If I were you, I'd stick with 17", cheaper tyres, better comfort.

hamst

Jun 5, 2020
The 19s are not only uncomfortable, but they bring out the worst in the build quality, the whole car squeaks, and rattles. I now have a mild form of traumatic stress.

Totally agree with you, i'll save the money and the hassle of selling the old wheels then. Thanks for your opinion

Loadmaster748

Roll on summer.....
Aug 2, 2019
Surrey, UK

I'd agree that 17's will be more comfy than 19s, but in no way are the 19's uncomfortable - the ride is perfectly fine.

I'd seen this post a few weeks back just prior to picking up my new Ateca Black Edition, fitted with 19's and I genuinely worried about my choice.

Thankfully, completely unfounded. Maybe your tyres are made of wood or concrete? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Mihai A.

Apr 24, 2020
antoce.me
I'd agree that 17's will be more comfy than 19s, but in no way are the 19's uncomfortable - the ride is perfectly fine.

I'd seen this post a few weeks back just prior to picking up my new Ateca Black Edition, fitted with 19's and I genuinely worried about my choice.

Thankfully, completely unfounded. Maybe your tyres are made of wood or concrete? :rolleyes:

What roads have you been driving it on? What make are they?

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
Ramps and speed bumps are the only things I noticed on 19". Speed bumps I go slow over and if you see a road works ramp you slow up else you feel it. Mine are Bridgestone but a heavy diesel. Pot holes you steer round if you see them. I drive it like one of those low slung cars protecting the rubber. Have the pressure set to normal, not comfy ride or lots of passengers. Use a Halfords digital tyre gauge to get the pressure right.

German roads are the best in Europe - get a smooth drive on the Autobahn where the Ateca is up there with rest at 100 mph. Belgium ones not very good. British ones somewhere between.

Reactions: Mihai A.

Loadmaster748

Roll on summer.....
Aug 2, 2019
Surrey, UK
German roads are the best in Europe - get a smooth drive on the Autobahn where the Ateca is up there with rest at 100 mph. Belgium ones not very good. British ones somewhere between.
Dead right about German roads there, Spanish are ok too and fairly deserted out of towns. Belgium's are pants as you say and French can be a bit iffy.

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
Its the Belgium ones we use to get in the snow coming back from Luxembourg before Xmas. Not treated and rough. 19" are fine but I drove Fiat for a long time, first car. Then had a Citreon which is a sofa with wheels then Seat for 15 years or so, use to the racing suspension. :).

Reactions: Loadmaster748

hamst

Jun 5, 2020
why are you wanting to change? asthetics? there is no other good reason to change, and as you suspect the ride will get worse with each increase in size.
how much this bothers you is subjective.

Honestly speaking, I dont like the look of the 17", they just look proportionally small compared to the rest of the car.

But not sure if its worth the money. I found some brand new seat original wheels for less 500 euros for all 4.

Loadmaster748

Roll on summer.....
Aug 2, 2019
Surrey, UK
Honestly speaking, I dont like the look of the 17", they just look proportionally small compared to the rest of the car.

But not sure if its worth the money. I found some brand new seat original wheels for less 500 euros for all 4.
Completely agree with you - 18s at a minimum, 19s are perfect.

Reactions: hamst

hamst

Jun 5, 2020
I have 19s and we are suppose to feel guilty about it ;). You don't take speed bumps at speed or ramps. Lower size more practical but not the end of the earth to go for looks :).

Yea that's why I thought 18s are a better compromise, as I heard 19s are so hard and I do long distances. Anyways, will think about the move.

andycupra

status subject to change
ah i hadn't realised you were on 17" (blimey i remember when 15" were considered large alloys)..
anyway, id say 18 is a goo all round size, popular size so tyres are pretty reasonable. 19s would look nicer but i don't think its a significant difference, ride would reduce a bit an tyres a fair bit more each time.,

But honestly its up to you, we all spend money on different things.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise