17" and 16" Steel Rim Advice

BenN

Feb 28, 2014
Hi,

Ive currently got a set of 16" x 6.5j ET50 steel wheels, these were originally purchased for a Golf MK6, but ive successfully ran them on a Leon MK2 and our current Leon MK3 1.4tsi 140. Im looking to replace the tyres on my existing rims and i have a few queries:

I was looking to buy some 17" steel rims (I want to keep cost down) to £50 per corner if possible, and get the 17" tyres instead of 16". Im thinking future-proof and looking that we may get a more powerful VAG car next, maybe 1.8tsi or Cupra Leon.
SEAT can't sell me steels in this size, and the only option they had was an 18" space saver wheel, which is no good.
Firstly, anyone know where i can get 17" steels from, most sites only only list 15" and 16" for our car, then don't list anything for the Cupra. Ive seen pictures of Golf GTi's with winter steel's on, surely these aren't 16"?

Would 17" fit on the 1.8tsi or Cupra, or is this a wasted upgrade?

Lastly, if i stay 16" - are my current rims in good enough condition? It looks just like surface rust to me, which is going to happen over time with any steel rims, so that doesnt bother me. I just want an opinion on whether this will affect the structure atall?

Thanks

Fmxvxx

Dec 21, 2014
17's wont clear the cupra hence the 18" space saver the steels look ok if in doubt wire wheel them back to bare metal and give them a fresh coat of paint.

trebor

Dec 13, 2014
Worcester
16's will be fine on a 1.8 though, I run 16" alloys with my winter tyres.

The pics look like my steel winter wheels that I've had on other cars after couple of winter- i'm sure they will be fine just surface rust.

Last edited:

BenN

Feb 28, 2014
16's will be fine on a 1.8 though, I run 16" alloys with my winter tyres.

The pics look like my steel winter wheels that I've had on other cars after couple of winter- i'm sure they will be fine just surface rust.

Thanks, would you mind confirming the spec of your 16" alloy wheels please (j and offset please) and the tyre size you are using?

Last edited:

BenN

Feb 28, 2014
One other thought, ive just bought some 205 55 r16 91H winter tyres, does it matter that the 225 40 r18 92Y XL tyres my Leon came with have a slightly higher load index, and are XL spec?

The manual states that you need to buy manufacturer spec tyres, but it doesnt list the specification. Will i be OK with the lower load index since these are 16" instead of 18"?

Thanks.

BenN

Feb 28, 2014
Are steels in right now or something?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

How do you mean by 'in', in-stock or the in-thing? lol

Personally, our alor blue FR looks pretty mean with black steels, I just use a black palstic VW hub cap and dont bother with wheel trims, as the 16" dinner plate look doesn suit the car IMO ;)

I did want to get 17" steels, but apparently they arent made for our cars...

BenN

Feb 28, 2014
One other thought, ive just bought some 205 55 r16 91H winter tyres, does it matter that the 225 40 r18 92Y XL tyres my Leon came with have a slightly higher load index, and are XL spec?

The manual states that you need to buy manufacturer spec tyres, but it doesnt list the specification. Will i be OK with the lower load index since these are 16" instead of 18"?

Thanks.

To answer my own question here. After speaking to my dealer, they couldnt comment on the SEAT specification, so after speaking with SEAT UK, i can confirm that their technical guys specify:

205 55 R16 91 H tyres to run as winters on these cars. Perfect, as ive just ordered some of the new Nokian WR D4 tyres, to replace the terrible Hankook ones we had on.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.