17s and rubbing... what have you done ?

Dec 20, 2007
Right guys i fitted a set of 17x7 ET37 OZ superlegra's with 205/40/r17 lowered around 50 - 60mm all round..

Now it was rubbing front and rear, changed 15mm rear spacers for some 10mm ones and thats that sorted, the front ive cut some of the arch liner out where it was rubbing but its still rubbing more on the left than the right.

I went to a bodyshop and they said they cant role the front arches something to do with the balljoint and putting pressure on it ?

So what do people suggest, hitting or bending the metal lip that goes round the arch up ? Any other tips or tricks to sort it out ?

Thanks Rob.

Dec 20, 2007
well it rarely does it now, when your pushing it hard round an island for example it will rub a bit, i do have toyo's so quite large sidewalls and front seems to be running a tad bit of positive camber too so that could be it i suppose.

Sirjimalot, what did you do with the grinder/ hammer, im worried abotu cracking paint / denting wing.

sirjimalot

JIM-MAN
Aug 10, 2005
County Durham
well when i did mine, i used a special tool one of the panel beaters has, i ground off the paint from the inside edge of the wing, (the bit that urs is scrubbing on) then i used this tool and ran it backwards and forwards over the edge till it was flat, then used a panel hammer to neaten things up, then used hammerite and schultz (stoneguard) to keep all the nastyness away.

and u could never tell i had touched them from the outside.

the back ones are easier. just sand the paint off the inside edge and beat it round with a panel hammer till its flat against the inside edge of the 1/4, this sounds rough but the 1/4 panel where it is spot welded in is doubled skinned so its impossible to dent it outwards on the outer skin, thus leaving a nice smooth curve which will not eat ur tyres if it cathces every once in a while. then just schultz and hammerite to keepo away the nasties.

Job done.

btw the tool he had he made himself, it was kinda like a skateboard wheel on the end of some grips, that pivets.

quite strange but it worked.

Sorry for the long windedness but i had to explain properly.

good luck to those who try, and i had a few goes first on scrap panels. if u can get ur hands on any...

Dec 20, 2007
noooo, thats the easy way out, plus rears dont rub its just the front and only when cornering hard or hitting a bump while cornering

Dec 20, 2007
Lol ill have pics tomorrow, or thursday, im re-doing the wheels and got some stickers for them etc so gonna do all that first :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.