18 vs 19 inch wheels - acceleration

20VT_AUQ

Roar
Dec 5, 2019
Hey all,

currently running on 235-35-19 but I am sick of the high fuel consumption, feeling the smallest bumps, and the potential risk of bending them at a pothole or something. I love the looks of 19, though (yeah im kind of a "ricer" I recognize).

I love the 18" LCR rims and in fact they look bigger than they are. Maybe because the spokes go all way long until the edge. That makes the rim looks bigger than it is. I am interested in these ones which I guess would bring the same effect:

ampliform-dmg-a.jpg

And I can imagine 225-40-18 would perform better in our cars. I have a Toledo 20VT 180bhp (AUQ) i.e. the same engine as the LC 180 mk1.

I have never driven my car with other wheels so I don't know how different it feels with lighter wheels or if it's worth to lose the "looks".

I value a lot the acceleration and the instant boost, thats what I love about this car and why I dont want to upgrade for a k04 turbo lol.

What y'all think? 19 or 18? Thanks in advance.

p.s. some Tolly pics!!!! Here are a 17" FR vs 18" Cupra comparison

klewqice.jpg

and this is my lil honey with some 19" by FOX:

javablack-jpg.23299

They don't look bigger than the 18" cupra!!!

Last edited:

Dazzalcr

Aug 10, 2019
They look a nice wheel them to be fair, but the lcr wheel looks the biggest in these pics I love mine, its a wheel that hasn't aged and honestly suits the car great, id stay with 18s ro keep your performance but out of the 2 pics the seat with the lcr looks mean and look bigger than ur current 19s.

Reactions: 20VT_AUQ

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
LCR wheels are okay, personally im not a fan of them as they're so flat, they would be so extra if they were concave. I prefer your FOX ones

19s look cool on the tolly, but i can say that having 17s on the AUQ and moving up to heavier 18s, some wheelspin and torque steer was lost. You'd prob do well to find a balance with a lightweight 18"

20VT_AUQ

Roar
Dec 5, 2019
LCR wheels are okay, personally im not a fan of them as they're so flat, they would be so extra if they were concave. I prefer your FOX ones

19s look cool on the tolly, but i can say that having 17s on the AUQ and moving up to heavier 18s, some wheelspin and torque steer was lost. You'd prob do well to find a balance with a lightweight 18"
Yup the konig ampliform I showed in first pic are light weight ("flow form" technology) and they can be concave if you choose a wide set, but it is hard to fit specially on front axis. And legal issues.

My FOX are in fact convexe instead of concave, at least they are not flat LOL.

Reactions: Connor H

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
It's going to make no difference you will notice to either acceleration or fuel consumption if you are already tracked correctly.

The circumference is 1.5% smaller with the smaller wheels and without weighing the wheels I can't tell you what if any effect it might have on unsprung weight. Lower unsprung weight is generally better as the suspension will conform to the road surface better. You will have a 4% smaller contact patch so the same tyre type will have a little less rolling resistance, the general figure would be 0.4% economy increase.

The only really useful thing you get from a larger diameter wheel is being able to fit a lower profile tyre and the benefits a stiffer sidewall gives you, which will create a harsher ride.

Go with what you like the looks of better, or if the ride is enough of an issue get the smaller wheel, taller tyre combo.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members