1996 Seat Ibiza 1.4 cls There is no cigarette lighter

kortan

I bought my Ibiza last week It is a nice car. but everything is manual on the car only it has got power steering but There is no cigarette lighter on the car which I have never seen.I found the place which cigarette lighter is supposed to be. It is under the radio next to the ashtray. There is a plastic cover instead of lighter. When you pull out the cover there is hole where lighter can be installed. Does anyone else have a car without a lighter like mine? I wonder how can I find the original lighter and how much it costs.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
lighters are cheap, you can pick them up from most car accessory shops for very little.

run some decent wire to the fusebox to pick up power - make sure it can handle the current

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
that clip in panel is available shaped to take a lighter and blend in with the dash too

ill try and find a pic of one

Presha

six on the brain
Sep 17, 2007
Birmingham
My CLS didnt have a lighter, door pockets or centre console either but i managed to find all of this and fitted it all in in no time really! I wired up my lighter to the radios live, neutral and lighting feed to make it light up lol i will eventually wire it to the fuse board as it doesnt actually heat the lighter up till it glows, but does charge fones etc :confused: should be some pics in my build thread (link below) though if you wana have a look before and after!

Cheers, Dan!

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Good call presha

just been looking for your thread as i'd seen a posted pic somewhere before

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
On the subject of wiring from headunits, what colour wire is the ignition +ve wire?? Have a set of ambient footwell lights to install and you take the feed from that wire and on the instructions it says red or yellow wire. Also Im guessing the brown wire is the earth?

GTV

Veggie powered TDi's
Feb 16, 2008
Cambridgeshire
be warned, if you wire it to the back of the radio, the cables maynot be able to handle the current light can pull 10amp+
You don't want to have a cable fire behind the dash now do you.

seanbranagh

Sean Branagh
Oct 25, 2005
Ireland
www.branaghcomputers.com
Sorry, should have said that I put a 10amp fuse inline with this and it was never intended to be used as a lighter only as phone charger etc until I installed the invertor and mains socket.
Besides the wiring at the back of my radio is capable of powering the 4 55Watt RMS amplifers in the radio at full wack. This would peak at over 20amps and I have never had an issue with the fuse or wiring.
Car wiring can generally deal with reasonably large currents. It has to with such a small voltage.

jojob

my seat ibiza cls didnt come with one either and i bought one off ebay to install ( haven't had a chance to do it as of yet) but from what i see online and as Presha mentioned take it from the radio power :) you may find your fuses blow quickly though in which case you could upgrade the fuse to a slightly higher one, other than that you could wire it from the battery but that is lots of effort and you would need to make sure a fuse is put into the wiring. :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.