1st n 2nd gear.

cookie1978

Jun 17, 2009
huddersfield
Broke my 1st n 2nd gear after reversing to park up. Ive read up on this as being a rivet on the selector fork. I know the work involved as im an ex mechanic and was wondering if there was anyone willing to take on the job of fixing it for a reasonable price?
Gutted only bought the car yesturday. Oh its a toledo 03 plate 1.8 20vt.
Thanks.

cookie1978

Jun 17, 2009
huddersfield
Yes im in the process of waiting for warranty company to sort it. Was told to take it to my local garage and let them sort it with the warrany company. Im sure they are going to try get out of paying, l,eaving me to paythe bill.

meltonlad

Mar 21, 2009
huntingdon
yer tell me about it... i got a toledo a few months back and after 3 weeks the starter packed up so same as you i rang the warranty company and they told me to take it to a garage. but for the sake of just £197 they sent out a bloke to look at it and refused to pay as they said that the fault was due to the dust off the clutch. they rang me last week and asked if i wanted to take out a 12 month cover with them and i told them that i would have if they had paid for the starter but i told them to stick it as what ever happends they would put it down to wear and tear.... good luck with your claim mate keep us posted...

cookie1978

Jun 17, 2009
huddersfield
Wellas im a time served ex mechanic i cant see how its possible they can get out of paying.
As ive read many people have had this problem which is down to the selector, as i see its a manufacturing fault using a rivet. Its broken not worn or down to wear and tear.
Hope it turns out ok. :help:

Tolly

Feb 5, 2009
Leeds
Hi

This might seem a stupid question but have you tried greasing the selectors on topof the gearbox.... My 1.8 20v refused to go in to reverse, 1st or 2nd after I had driven it the 30 miles home from the seller......

After a quick look under the bonnet I realised as it had been parked for a while on the forecourt the mechanism would not move forward when I pushed the gear stick and instead just flexed the connecting cable....... I swore lots of times and thought I had bought a shittXr before I figured it out....:banghead:

cookie1978

Jun 17, 2009
huddersfield
its definately the box im affraid, got it in bits now. Im just waiting for the parts so i can rebuild it. Easier than i though it would be but im a mechanic.

cookie1978

Jun 17, 2009
huddersfield
they offered me 210 quid but was quoted 450 inc clutch at a garage to do the job so did it myself.
Warrantys arnt worth a toss n a waste of money. :cry:
Good news the cars back in action a little happier now.

toledo sport

Aug 27, 2006
cookie1978 , i have the same car as yourself and i've had it for just over 3 and a half years, don't let this minor problem put you off , as it's a great car, saying that only had a couple of problems ,3 of the 4 coils needed replaced and had to replace the rivets in the secondary air pump with bolts because the rivets don't last, but apart from that goes well.

cookie1978

Jun 17, 2009
huddersfield
i hope i have no more major issues with it. So what does everyone recomend to increase the power a bit more, think i may have got alittle too used to the power of my bike. :D

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise