2.0 16v - Info

Georgel

Aug 10, 2005
Hi Guys.

A few of my mates are going to the ring next year. One set have bought a mk2 golf gti, the others a 320i. I'm trying to go one better with the 2.0l 16v 150 bhp Ibiza. Can anyone tell what the actual model is called and when it came into production.

Is it a Seat Ibiza Cupra GTi 16v? I'm not sure on the exact name. Most I have seen are 8vs thats why I ask.

Cheers
George

jcs356

Cordy owner
Jul 12, 2004
Englandland
Unfortunately the naming of the cars is a bit of a minefield - there have been many long and ultimately confusing discussions about this.

The range had, in pre-facelift 1995 - 1996, a 1.8 16v with 130bhp, badged as the GTi 16v. (Note that these cars are quite rare as they were only produced for just over a year)
With the facelift in 1997, this was replaced with the 2.0 16v with 150bhp, badged as the GTi 16v.
Then the Cupra spec came out, which was supposed to be a lower spec, but ultimately what came out of the factory seems to have varied. This will be the Cupra 16v.
Towards the end of the model life, dealers and the importers were sticking any stickers they could find on cars - so you can get GTi's that are badged Cupras etc. etc.

In the end, look for a 2.0 16v and don't worry if it is a Cupra or not.

Oh, and the 16v can make an excellen 'ring car. Some mates of mine have a lightly modified Cordoba SX 16v which lives out at the ring, and has lapped consistently at 9minutes.

Last edited:

Georgel

Aug 10, 2005
Thanks for all the info mate, thats excellent. I thought this was a logical step up from the mk2 Golf gti. I bet the floor plans are too dissimilar either?

G

jcs356

Cordy owner
Jul 12, 2004
Englandland
There are a lot of common parts but more so with the Mk3 Golf and Mk4 Polo than the Mk2 Golf. A lot of people are turning to Ibizas as Mk2's Golfs are getting old now - youngest are nearly 16 years old - and it seems sacrilege to track day a mint one!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members