2.0 TDI 150 bhp or 1.4 EcoTSI 150 bhp

allan69

Jul 30, 2010
Wellingborough, UK
Hi,

I'm due to be changing my company car later this year and with all the C02 taxes rising I was wondering what maybe best.

My current car is a Seat Leon FR 2.0 TDI 150bhp, which has been great to me, I do about 20k per year all dual carriage and motorway miles.

I wanted to find out how economical the 1.4 EcoTSI engine is, would it shut down half the valves when cruising up the motorway, I'm normally doing 70-80mph :lol:

This would be a 2017 FR spec when available, oh and I have to pay for my fuel as its classed as personal miles

Allan[B)]

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
We went from 2008 tdi 170 to a 150 act, mainly due to low miles we now do per annum, I find the new car just as go on fuel(at times) on long runs, mine goes on two cylinders regularly it's dependent on throttle position and speed stability. I think.!

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Assuming you are still doing lots of highways, perhaps others could state what they generally see on their usual (+/- 2-3 mpg) instantaneous fuel read out @ 70-75 mph on cruise control on their 1.4 EcoTsi?

The reason I'm saying this is because I used to have a 2.0 TDI DSG 150 (offical mpg is 55/64/70). @ 70-75mph on cruise control, usually get around 57-63mpg instanaeous. The manual version maybe 59-65mpg same conditions?

I now have a Ibiza 1.0 EcoTSI 110 DSG with official mpg 53/64/72. So I thought, goody goody, I will get near idental figures. WRONG...@ 70-75mph cruise control, mpg is very poor around 42-45 mpg instananeous. MPG in city is comparable if not a little down on the 2.0TDI. I'm guessing 1.4 EcoTSI would get you guys around 48-53mpg on these conditions?

At least on the 2.0TDI it was possible if I tried, to achieve the 64 mpg combined....the 1.0 EcoTSI, no chance...can't even get the 53mpg city average!

Garf

Nov 1, 2016
South-East London
I've had my 65 Leon ST 1.4 FR ecoTSI Manual since November and have been very impressed with how economical it is.

On the Motorway it will happily cruise at 50mpg. Through London traffic 45mpg is average.
£50 of supermarket 95 ron fuel for a full tank. 450 miles to tank easily. Just reaching 4k miles.

My driving is either central London (speed bumps) or Motorway.

Very chuffed!

FRoSTy

Mar 26, 2016
I have a 64 plate 1.4 TSI 150 Leon ST, 18 inch wheels.

I regularly do about 550 miles a week, in three 90 mile return trips, with all but a few miles on the motorway, and I can do this with a single tank before the fuel light comes on. My miles are steady 70-75mph for most, as i'm on smart motorways. Average 50 - 55mpg, closer to 50 in the current cold weather.

i've tended to use tesco momentum 99. I'm not sure it's worth the premium, as I can't really notice the difference, but I continue to buy it!

On my best trip I got over 60mpg - this included a long spell in a 50mph zone, and sensible driving throughout.

It takes a few miles for the trip economy to improve - short journeys on a cold engine have low mpg.

The two cylinder mode is interesting - on a steady flat motorway it will happily sustain speed at 80mph with 70-100mpg+ reading on the instantaneous display. Although try accelerating even slightly on a hill, and it fires up the other two cylinders and drops to 20-30mpg. Using cruise control seems to maintain a much lighter throttle control than my right foot can give, and can keep it in the eco mode for longer, even slight hills at sensible speeds, so delivers better economy. Sometimes running 5th gear and 2 cylinders on a steady hill looks to be more efficient than 6th gear on 4 cylinders - despite what the "change up -> 5-6"gear indicator says.

I love the cheap road tax on mine!

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
i've tended to use tesco momentum 99. I'm not sure it's worth the premium, as I can't really notice the difference, but I continue to buy it!

Momentum 99 where I live is the same price as Shell/Esso's regular 95. :D Come to think of it..I did manage 55 mpg average on the 1.0EcoTSI mainly 50mph zones..on the 99 and never could reach 50+ mpg since I put regular Shell 95...hmm..:think:

It seems 4/2 cylinders more efficient than 3 :cry:

FRoSTy

Mar 26, 2016
It seems 4/2 cylinders more efficient than 3 :cry:

I wouldn't worry - different engines suit different needs.

I see above you are looking at instantaneous readings. For me a lot of the time on downhills the car uses no fuel at all, but foot down overtaking uphill can get it under 10mpg! The motorway is rarely completely flat! Overall it averages out to 50-55 on a long run. The instant reading only really gives a guide to how hard you're working the engine.

I imagine the 1.0 3cyl will be great around town and beat the 1.4 in a lot of situations.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I wouldn't worry - different engines suit different needs.

I see above you are looking at instantaneous readings. For me a lot of the time on downhills the car uses no fuel at all, but foot down overtaking uphill can get it under 10mpg! The motorway is rarely completely flat! Overall it averages out to 50-55 on a long run. The instant reading only really gives a guide to how hard you're working the engine.

I imagine the 1.0 3cyl will be great around town and beat the 1.4 in a lot of situations.

Yea because if you look at say 'since start average' mpg figures for me at least, I start urban, engine not up to temp, traffic lights etc so I would not get a slighly lower skewed figure. I guess over a journey on the highway more than 25 miles, this is not siginificant at all. Agreed its very difficult to get a 'perfect' highway reading...

For my instantaneous reading, I usually put it on cruise control say...at 70mph, and yes the reading will fluctuate a little (slight uphill/downhill) but on a flat road it usually settles to within 3-4 mpg range...in the case with my old Leon around just over the 60mpg mark.

Downhill in both sometimes i just see '- - -' drive also disengaged. However on the 1.0 I have seen 270 - 300 mpg downhill :funk:

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK

I'm still waiting to see this...at present it can't beat my old 2.0TDI in anything, except insurance group & road tax...(cheaper)...ok..well it's a lot quieter...

fabiavrs2004

Sep 11, 2015
Bristol
My long term average is 47mpg, I get that sort of level on motorways doing 70 - 80, into the mid 50's through roadworks and easy cross country, and low 40's around town

marc_fr

Feb 11, 2013
I've made the same change from a 2.0 tdi 150 to the 1.4 eco tsi act. If it can average 50mpg on the motorway and 40ish around town il be more than happy!

mcmul

Mar 13, 2017
Could somebody explain what the difference is between Eco TSI and ACT TSI? Couldn't find any literature on Seat's website about Eco TSI.

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
Could somebody explain what the difference is between Eco TSI and ACT TSI? Couldn't find any literature on Seat's website about Eco TSI.
Don't think there's any difference.

SEAT used several engine designators for the 1.4TSi with CoD (cylinder on demand = ACT ~ Active Cylinder Technology). Initially 1.4TSi ACT, then 1.4 EcoTSI ACT and currently just 1.4 EcoTSI, iirc this designator came in with the MY16 (model year) updates (bigger nav screen, upgraded leather on steering wheel etc).

If you want to confirm that the car has the cylinder on demand feature then look through the specs for ACT. Some markets had configurations of the 1.4 engine without ACT, even some early FR's in the UK didn't have it, but I believe all 150PS variants from MY15 (available May 2014 onwards) had it. HTH

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
I've made the same change from a 2.0 tdi 150 to the 1.4 eco tsi act. If it can average 50mpg on the motorway and 40ish around town il be more than happy!

That's pretty much what I get. 80mph on Mways, longer journeys yield around 50mpg on the in car monitor (take 2 mpg off for a true figure), keep it around 70 and you can get a true 50+.

My long term average is a true 44mpg, with less Mway driving than many. I previously had an Audi 2.0TDi (mainly Mway miles) and the long term mpg figures are very similar.

devJORD

OBD11 Wizard
Nov 14, 2014
That's pretty much what I get. 80mph on Mways, longer journeys yield around 50mpg on the in car monitor (take 2 mpg off for a true figure), keep it around 70 and you can get a true 50+.

My long term average is a true 44mpg, with less Mway driving than many. I previously had an Audi 2.0TDi (mainly Mway miles) and the long term mpg figures are very similar.

I get the same sort of numbers in my 1.4ecoTSI 150. The lowest I've seen is 36mpg when giving it some beans around country roads.

mcmul

Mar 13, 2017
Don't think there's any difference.

SEAT used several engine designators for the 1.4TSi with CoD (cylinder on demand = ACT ~ Active Cylinder Technology). Initially 1.4TSi ACT, then 1.4 EcoTSI ACT and currently just 1.4 EcoTSI, iirc this designator came in with the MY16 (model year) updates (bigger nav screen, upgraded leather on steering wheel etc).

If you want to confirm that the car has the cylinder on demand feature then look through the specs for ACT. Some markets had configurations of the 1.4 engine without ACT, even some early FR's in the UK didn't have it, but I believe all 150PS variants from MY15 (available May 2014 onwards) had it. HTH

Thanks very much for the background info. SEAT need to keep on top of their website!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members