2.0 TDI Oil Pump Failure

rainbowl

My Alhambra 56 is now in the garage having had an oil pump failure, with 37k on the clock. Thankfully just in warranty, and Seat has now (with proof needed from the garage at each stage), replaced a the short engine, head and now the turbo ... and then found that head to have an oil fault, so now waiting for head 2!

Having looked around the internet, especially on the Alfa forums, this oil pump issue is a known but not accepted VAG design fault. My main concern was the number of recent threads saying their engines have just been totalled. I'm surprised I couldn't find anything on here given the use of the 2.0 TDI - am I just unlucky or are others suffering in silence?

Last edited by a moderator:

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
I can count on one finger the number of failed oil pumps I can remember on the VW tdi engines (present thread included). That's not to say they don't have a problem but I haven't heard of any. :confused:

rainbowl

Just search google on 2.0 TDI Oil Pump Failure, and yes, not hits for Sharan/Alhambra, but Audis / Skodas with what I believe is the same basic engine design definitely have comments about the pump chain (plastic) guides and a faulty housing which was introduced in the 2.0 version. I would love someone to tell me that the BRT engine is not the chained version. There are even instructions how to convert from the chain to the geared newer design.

I personally was surprised that once I heard a noise out the window (doing 50mph), and by the time I opened the window, the oil light then came on, and I stopped the engine immediately, that so much damage was done - but it might have just been too much scrapnel :shrug:

I guess only time will tell as the 2.0 is still relatively new - I will however get a 2 year warranty on the new engine, but I'm obviously a little wary at the moment about it. I know that given the number of these engines that if you search for any topic on the internet you are bound to get someone who has hit a particular fault :)

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
As regards the 2 year warranty, any parts you buy and pay for through the network carry a 2 year warranty. Any parts fitted for free under the existing warranty are only covered until the end of the initial warranty period.

As regards failures, I've been on this forum and a good few others for quite a while and not heard a single oil pump failure related issue. I may have missed them but they're certainly not a popular problem.

rainbowl

Viking, thanks for the info on the warranty situation. I will take this up with the dealership as they said the replaced parts would have the two years extra, and given that mine is out of the three year warranty in mid December I will now want this clarified :confused:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise