2.0 tsi 190 ??

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
I doubt the current 150 bhp will be the ultimate limit for SEAT-badged Leons. Higher power versions, both petrol and diesel, will be added next year.

Reactions: loyalbear1872

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I doubt the current 150 bhp will be the ultimate limit for SEAT-badged Leons. Higher power versions, both petrol and diesel, will be added next year.
Future engine variants that car manufacturers introduce to their vehicle ranges will IMO be influenced to some extent by the 2021 emissions target for a manufacturer’s fleet - 90g of CO2 per km. Exceeding the target means substantial fines for car manufacturers. A conventional 2.0 190 ps petrol engine will have CO2 emissions way in excess of 90g / km, so I think for pretty much all manufacturers, there’ll be greater focus on hybrids and smaller ICE engines pending the full scale electric revolution.

The 2020 emissions target (also 90g/km, but measured against the 95% least polluting vehicles in a manufacturer’s vehicle fleet of new vehicles sold) is currently having an impact; VW have stopped - temporarily were told - production of the 2.0 litre 200ps Polo GTI (CO2 159g/km), and Ford also did this with their 1.5 200ps Fiesta ST (CO2 158g/km). Stopping production of the higher polluters and focusing on cleaner ICE, hybrid and electric vehicles helps manufacturers move the mix of vehicles sold towards cleaner vehicles with lower overall emissions levels across the fleet, so lower fines to pay.

That’s not to say there won’t be a 190 ps (or thereabouts) mk4 Leon though. However, I think there’s a chance that it could be powered by a petrol / electric hybrid engine rather than a traditional petrol-only unit.

corbu33

Oct 24, 2020
You are about right but the brands are audited like this: they are being checked for their AVERAGE Co2 emissions per that brand (SEAT respectively). So they can sell even high pollution engine if they sell only 10 pcs for example it is about weighted average ... I mean volume of cars sold with different emission. It is clear that big volumes come from 1.5 TSI probably and 2.0 TDI and rest are few percentages that are not dragging by much the AVERAGE CO2 emissions. So no problem to launch an engine with higher pollution (but respecting Euro 6d of course)... because they won't sell much of those. The majority of sales will not go on this high polluting let's say, they will go as I mentioned on 1.5 tsi and 2.0tdi and overall they will achieve their target as SEAT, or SKODA or BMW... etc

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
Plus, many car companies are not planning to meet those limits. Instead they're budgeting for the fines and building them into the selling price. One of the reasons why Mk4 costs more than Mk3.

corbu33

Oct 24, 2020
Could be this also, but I guess there is also some reputation risk and I guess they would not take this risk specially after diesel gate.

anyway can t wait for the 2.0 tsi 190 :)

loyalbear1872

May 2, 2018
Could be this also, but I guess there is also some reputation risk and I guess they would not take this risk specially after diesel gate.

anyway can t wait for the 2.0 tsi 190 :)
I'm on my 4th Leon so I do like them, due to change in March next year and praying for the 190 which is the sweet spot for me :)

corbu33

Oct 24, 2020
Me too. This is what I understood, February will be first month for orders with mid march being first month of factory production for the 2.0 tsi 190. Hope will keep it, still some COVID in the world :( unfortunately.

C_ED_99

Jan 27, 2010
The other thing to note, from a consumer point of view is that the VED (and hence running costs) gets expensive quickly -
Edit: Thanks to CupraGeezer for pointing out that year 2 onwards is flat rate at £150/yr

Last edited:

Goot

There Can Be Only One!
Sep 9, 2002
Cheshire
Do we have any more news on the 2.0 TSI 190ish engine appearing in the UK Leon Mk4? It's gone very quiet again. Noticed you can spec the Ateca with this engine now, so I've not given up hope yet!

corbu33

Oct 24, 2020
Yes, in my country it can be ordered only with the hatch. For UK I don't know exactly.

Reactions: Goot

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
did the 2.0 tsi ever come to the uk ?
Yes it did. The FR / FR Sport and Xcellence / Xcellence Lux models (both the hatch and ST) were listed with the 2.0 190ps petrol engine in the Nov 2022 UK brochure for the Leon - Pages 13/14 and 16/17;

And there are a couple of mk4 2.0 190ps Leon’s for sale on Auto Trader; a brand new FR ST and a 72 reg FR Sport hatch;

IMG_0330.jpeg

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
Yes it did. The FR / FR Sport and Xcellence / Xcellence Lux models (both the hatch and ST) were listed with the 2.0 190ps petrol engine in the Nov 2022 UK brochure for the Leon - Pages 13/14 and 16/17;

And there are a couple of mk4 2.0 190ps Leon’s for sale on Auto Trader; a brand new FR ST and a 72 reg FR Sport hatch;

View attachment 38428
:cool: i actually found that car hence why i asked, thought it might have been an error but does seem they do exist. bit pricey mind.

is it the ea888 i wonder what dsg it has must not be the dq200

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.