2.0T FSI Tuning for my FR- Recommendations Please!!

seadragon

SEADRAGON
Apr 1, 2006
Benington, Herts.
I know ZILCH about tuning and have been trying to do some research on the net but am not getting anywhere.

Basically I want something that is pretty smooth, is good on helping the engine to run efficiently and most importantly undetectable when taking it to my dealer for services, etc (DONT want my warranty voided if it is detected).

I get the impression that Serial Port Tuning is the way to go, is that correct? I have tried websites for Apr, Custom Code, Jabbasport, REVO, etc etc but am no closer to understanding this what the hell is going on.

Any help to answer my questions and to keep things as simple as possible would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Seton

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
I have Revo,

Basically, You take it to a Revo dealer, who uploads the revo map from a laptop to your ECU via the diagnostic port.
This 'map' is a copy of the standard software, but the air/fuel/timing etc are changed in the mapping tables which make your car perform differently.

The only way to tell that anything has been changed, is to drive the car, which is a hell of a lot faster!

Revo sell a switch called the Select switch. With this you can turn the map to stock, and performance settings. This is handy when taking the car to a dealer. The switch also has an antitheft feature built in which basically disables the car via the ECU. handy ifleaving your car in a dodgy place.

A remap CAN actually improve mpg. Basically on a fairly fast drive I dont really need to go above 3k RPM as there is so much low down power. it absoutely transforms the car.

Revo do a free trial if are still want assurance it is right for you.

Last edited:

sportbilly

thinking out loud
Oct 8, 2001
in my car
Visit site
I agree, Revo is good on the 2.0TSFI, very smooth delivery the same as factory and just generally drives better. The Select Plus switch is the way to go as you can alter the settings as per driving conditions etc.

Stage 2 would be better ;o)

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
I dont find a huge improvement with stage two, the power is more spread out all the way to the higher RPMs, which I rarely go to, unless on the track :)

i love the select plus as you can plug your laptop into it and tune according to what the VAG-com logging wants :)

STOCKY

Audi TT 225
Oct 6, 2004
N.Ireland
Dan can I ask why you decided on the Neuspeed instead of any other intake?

Was it cost vs performance related?

Rob GTI

Oct 28, 2004
South Wales
I dont find a huge improvement with stage two, the power is more spread out all the way to the higher RPMs, which I rarely go to, unless on the track :)

i love the select plus as you can plug your laptop into it and tune according to what the VAG-com logging wants :)

Dan,

At what part of the rev range does the power start to tail off in the stage 1 and 2?

And if you get stage 1 for £499 can you just pay the difference and get the stage 2 for the extra £50 (with the hardware of course).

seadragon

SEADRAGON
Apr 1, 2006
Benington, Herts.
Thanks Dan,

Just been on the Revo website. When you talk about the select switch, are you referring to the 'Serial Port Switch', ie, SPS 2? I assume then I would need to buy the software as well as the switch is that right?

Sorry for being dim but I want to get things clear in my head. I have learnt a lot about cars the last few years but have a long way to go :)

sportbilly

thinking out loud
Oct 8, 2001
in my car
Visit site
Yes you need the software and the switch to be able to switch it. The SPS switches are old, the new Select or Select Plus is what you want.

Select = £149 + vat
Select Plus = £249 + vat

Igor23

Growing old disgracefully
Dec 7, 2006
Loughborough
I too have Revo, the Select plus is a wonderful device, 3 user customisable maps and the immobiliser too, the power delivery is sensational, eats M3's for a snack :D

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Dan can I ask why you decided on the Neuspeed instead of any other intake?

Was it cost vs performance related?

The neuspeed was the only one really avlaible back when I got it. Except the carbonio, which is a bit of a waste of time really.
The intake doesnt do a whole lot really performance wise, but gives quite a load whoosing sound :)

seadragon

SEADRAGON
Apr 1, 2006
Benington, Herts.
Was on the Superchips site and was researching the Bluefin for my FR. Seems pretty basic to install myself and I dont have to go anywhere to get it done, I can order it online and do the remap at home.

Any views greatly appreciated? Would this also be undetectable by diagnostic tools??

Thanks again

seadragon

SEADRAGON
Apr 1, 2006
Benington, Herts.
Oh well, pity then. guess I wont bother with any kind of remap then until my warranty runs out, I dont want to get it voided, I cant afford it.

Thanks again

Jun 28, 2001
no its the new software dealers are using and detects abnormal behaviour ie increase in boost etc(datalogging) and is wiped when flashed

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
no its the new software dealers are using and detects abnormal behaviour ie increase in boost etc(datalogging) and is wiped when flashed

my remap is switchable so shouldnt be noticable then.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise