2.0TDI (140) Wont Start/Run

Gazguthrie

Jul 15, 2007
Scotland
:help: Hey guys, went out to the car today and it started then cut out. Didnt sound healthy at all. Yellow engine management light is staying on. Had a good 120 mile round trip yesterday and it was running sweet. After checking the oil level which was fine, i tried a scan with VCDS and there are no faults!

Tried a couple of more times to no avail :-( Quite annoying when my 3 month old daughter is in the seat ready to go!

The car is an 07 plate with FSH. Any advice or experience with this? and what service can I expect from the dealer who is 20 miles away?

Thanks, Gary

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
were abouts in scotland are you mate? i was watching the weather last night and noticed that in some areas they were forcasting temperatures down to -10°c. this is cold enough for the parrafin in diesel to start to solidify, forming wax. if this happens on the fuel filter youve got next to no chance of starting the engine. not usually a problem in britain, obviously youve got more chance than me in tropical geordieland, but fuel additives can prevent this.

S2TTB

The fake K1...
Apr 28, 2008
Glesga
were abouts in scotland are you mate? i was watching the weather last night and noticed that in some areas they were forcasting temperatures down to -10°c. this is cold enough for the parrafin in diesel to start to solidify, forming wax. if this happens on the fuel filter youve got next to no chance of starting the engine. not usually a problem in britain, obviously youve got more chance than me in tropical geordieland, but fuel additives can prevent this.

never thought of this......

would an additive like millers / redex etc be wise to use over winter then?

Gazguthrie

Jul 15, 2007
Scotland
Cheers Chris, I live in Dunfermline however was in the borders all day yesterday (used to live there) visiting family. Drove up the road about 10pm last night and coming over Soutra on the A68 it was -8.0c! Even worse I was following a car doing 30mph for a fair bit of the way. It was about -4.0c when I got home. I never thought about the fuel temp problem, just another reason to move to warmer climate!

Its been above zero this afternoon and went out after dinner to give the car another go, it started, coughed and spluttered then run smooth. I took it for a blast along the A90 to get it warmed up. Still not happy about being car-less for the afternoon though!

S2TTB - Seriously considering the additive now! I wonder if filling up at Shell would be better than Tesco too?

S2TTB

The fake K1...
Apr 28, 2008
Glesga
Cheers Chris, I live in Dunfermline however was in the borders all day yesterday (used to live there) visiting family. Drove up the road about 10pm last night and coming over Soutra on the A68 it was -8.0c! Even worse I was following a car doing 30mph for a fair bit of the way. It was about -4.0c when I got home. I never thought about the fuel temp problem, just another reason to move to warmer climate!

Its been above zero this afternoon and went out after dinner to give the car another go, it started, coughed and spluttered then run smooth. I took it for a blast along the A90 to get it warmed up. Still not happy about being car-less for the afternoon though!

S2TTB - Seriously considering the additive now! I wonder if filling up at Shell would be better than Tesco too?

i noticed in the summer that using shell constantly instead of mixing or using tesco /supermarkets made the car run a lot better..

not really bene bothering the last month or 2, but once my service is done over xmas i'll be getting back onto shell and stickign with them.

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland

manufacturers should put all the additives in that you should need for conditions 'normally' encountered. -10ish normal in the uk :shrug:.

the shell/tesco debate. its like marks and sparks/smart price. if they were sausages, theyd both make a sarnie, but which would you prefer?

Gazguthrie

Jul 15, 2007
Scotland
Still only guessing at why it didnt start. Will phone the stealers tomorrow and get it checked out before I hand the car over to the wife. Getting a new A4 S-line Exec in Jan, just dont want the wife and daughter stranded somewhere! Thanks guys :)