2.0TDI or 1.4TSi

snafudigital

Hi Guys

Im currently interested in a Leon but i cant decide what to get. I had originally taken the new 2.0TDi Golf on a test drive and found it very smooth and quiet, but I find the golf very standard looking to a Leon. Seeing as Leons use VW engines, I am now torn between a 2.0 TDi and a 1.4TSi. Is there much different in power between these 2 models and are the 2.0TDi engines as quiet as the Golf?

Any info would be appreciated.

Chris

Jun 15, 2013
Why not try both Leons and decide from your own conclusions. The Leon and Golf engines are identical except for the pointless ACT that the 1.4 TSi Golf now has.

For what its worth I have the 1.4 TSi 140 PS and its superb. After a string of decent turbo diesels (the last was a BMW 118D 143 PS) it is way more flexible and very quiet. It is also incredibly economical, so far by my calculations its averaging just over 46 mpg. Considering the BMW did just short of 48 mpg in exactly the same usage when you take the difference in cost per litre into account my running costs are about the same.

The Leon TDi 150 PS was £2000 more. By my estimation before buying (using Honest Johns real MPG figures - 43 mpg for the petrol and 53 mpg for the diesel) it would have taken me over 40,000 miles to recoup my money even allowing for the simple fact the TDi would be worth more at resale time. With the mpg figures I am getting the break even mileage would be nearer 50,000.

To put it as simply as possible, if you like the petrol and do under 15000 miles a year buy it. If you do over 15000 miles a year the diesel would probably be cheaper to run.

snafudigital

Why not try both Leons and decide from your own conclusions. The Leon and Golf engines are identical except for the pointless ACT that the 1.4 TSi Golf now has.

For what its worth I have the 1.4 TSi 140 PS and its superb. After a string of decent turbo diesels (the last was a BMW 118D 143 PS) it is way more flexible and very quiet. It is also incredibly economical, so far by my calculations its averaging just over 46 mpg. Considering the BMW did just short of 48 mpg in exactly the same usage when you take the difference in cost per litre into account my running costs are about the same.

The Leon TDi 150 PS was £2000 more. By my estimation before buying (using Honest Johns real MPG figures - 43 mpg for the petrol and 53 mpg for the diesel) it would have taken me over 40,000 miles to recoup my money even allowing for the simple fact the TDi would be worth more at resale time. With the mpg figures I am getting the break even mileage would be nearer 50,000.

To put it as simply as possible, if you like the petrol and do under 15000 miles a year buy it. If you do over 15000 miles a year the diesel would probably be cheaper to run.

On my current 2.0cdti astra, I have 28000 miles and its 3 years old. So im basically doing 10k a year. I do love petrol engines and the lack of lag when accelerating. Are those TSi engines Turbo?

Jun 15, 2013
Are those TSi engines Turbo?

That's what the "T" in TSi stands for.

That is why they have 140 PS from a 1400 petrol engine.

No lag whatsoever, it files from 1500 rpm all the way to the red line at 6000 rpm. But in truth there is very little need to go beyond 4000 rpm for 95% of the time.

Why not download a brochure it will tell you all you need to know.

For your mileage the TSi is the one to go for, unless you really like the TDi of course.

Last edited:

snafudigital

For your mileage the TSi is the one to go for, unless you really like the TDi of course.

I like Petrol engines but I really enjoyed the test drive in the 2.0TDi Golf. on the other hand I do no like my current Astra 2.0CDTi. It is much too rattly and noisey. It has nice acceleration but it has a bad turbo lag.

Im going towards the 1.4 TSi now to be honest. If it does indeed have a Turbo in it.

Swahealy

Aug 26, 2013
London
It is turbocharged and injected. My current Golf mk 6 GT is the 1.4 TSI 160 bhp that is also supercharged. The current MK 7 and the Leon are 1.4 TSI and share the same engine, the Golf with ACT. Hence my buying a Leon FR 1.8 TSI. Cannot buy the New mk 7 and have less power and pay £££££ for less than I currently have and sooooo expensive!!!

Amigu

I used to be pro-petrol and I did a test drive in the 1.4 tsi and found it to be a very smooth ride. I didn't like diesels much, but I was forced by the company to choose a diesel. So I went for the 2.0 tdi 184 hp engine and tbh I've never had so much fun driving a car. You have loads of torgue at low rpm. I don't want to go back to a petrol engine anymore. Not having to go beyond 3500 rpm with the diesel for decent torgue feels really relaxing, where a petrol engine feels a bit more nervous.

Last edited by a moderator:

snafudigital

I suppose if I had an extra few ££££ I could probably get the 2.0 TDI 180bhp. Or the 1.8 TSi. For the moment Im sticking to the 1.4TSi. We will see when I go to the dealers. Things may change lol

mryanski

Leon FR no 3, must be good cars then :)
Aug 13, 2013
Castle Douglas
I went from a 2.2 diesel Honda Civic to the 1.4 Tsi as i found it was the perfect combination of low down power and refinement, doing under 10,000 miles a year i couldn't justify the extra cost of the diesel.
Never had a drive in the 2.0 derv but the lightness of the petrol engine makes the Leon feel so light and nimble it always brings a smile in the twisties :)

snafudigital

good feedback guys. its really helping my decision!

Whats the fuel consumption actually like on the 1.4? I expect verses a 2 litre diesel, living in the city would almost be similar consumption. would maybe notice it more on long journeys, which i dont do that often.

mryanski

Leon FR no 3, must be good cars then :)
Aug 13, 2013
Castle Douglas
I am getting around 43-45mpg, i always have it in sports mode and have a 5 mile commute to work mainly on A roads. On a long run of 250 mile on A roads and Motorway using eco mode and cruise i got 48.7 MPG, this is pretty much identical to what i was getting from my diesel.

snafudigital

I am getting around 43-45mpg, i always have it in sports mode and have a 5 mile commute to work mainly on A roads. On a long run of 250 mile on A roads and Motorway using eco mode and cruise i got 48.7 MPG, this is pretty much identical to what i was getting from my diesel.

Sounds good....

Has anyone seen the Aerodynamic pack on the 5 door? wonder how much it is for full pack!

BigfatPaulie

Sep 18, 2013
Nottingham
Ive just bought a DIESEL Leon, always thought of oil burners as slow and lumpy... Ive had a few works vans in the past that were like tractors.

Then I had a test drive !!!! They really are in a different league these days - give one a test, it will surprise you.

snafudigital

The options im thinking of are:

1.8TSi
1.4TSi
2.0TDi

All with 18inch Titanium alloys and the Tech pack.

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
picked mine up yesterday 2.0tdi 150bhp with tech and convenience packs, great fun to drive in sport mode, smooth power delivery and surprisingly quiet

anything is quiet after driving my old pd170 for 2 years.........but was a car I had no major issues with

snafudigital

Hi guys

I took a test drive in the FR 1.8 TSI on Saturday. Im sold to what im getting now lol
Loved the car, the colour and the drive. At present I am only getting 31mpg in my 2 litre cdti Astra, which is mostly urban use. So its not really benefiting me to have a diesel. Petrol engine here i come lol

Chris

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
i drove them all at SEAT Media day loved the 2.0TDI 184 but i prefered the 1.8TSI with DSG