2009 Leon FR (probably Pre FL) Newb

SpiderWelsh

Jul 3, 2018
Hi All,

I have just bought a Leon as per the Subject line.

Not had it yet as I blagged a cambelt and water pump change out of the dealer.

Already bought my first upgrade in the form of a Kenwood DNX520VBT, so hopefully I can install that without too much fuss and have the most upto date car I'll have owned.

Thanks in advance for the pestering I'll no doubt do in the near future.

Looks like a great forum and owner's community, making me feel a Leon was the right choice. :yes:

Deleted member 103408

Welcome to the site and Leon you will enjoy it and you will also need to start saving because you will want to spend more (as we all do)

Reactions: SpiderWelsh

SpiderWelsh

Jul 3, 2018
Welcome to the site and Leon you will enjoy it and you will also need to start saving because you will want to spend more (as we all do)
Agreed, remap and other bits next I suspect.

Had my last car remapped which was a first - 08 Honda Accord 2.2 derv went from 138bhp to 193bhp and drove much more responsively.

I went with Celtic back then and am considering them again, however, I may try to uprate stuff first and jump straight to stage 2 remap.

What's the thinking on that, good or bad idea?

saveoursouls

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester
You did well to get them to do the cambelt and waterpump. I found the perfect Leon minus the cambelt and waterpump, managed to haggle them down by £250, cost me £250 to get the work done so worked out.

Sounds like you have some good plans for the car, would be interested in seeing it progress.

Deleted member 103408

Like the idea of Stage 2 first but check with insurance company as they do get funny especially if you have more than 100bhp over stock.

Some turning companies (Racingline and Revo) only charge you an upgrade cost going between the various stages so if you pay for stage 1 then go stage 2 you only have to pay the diff between 1 and 2 when you upgrade. Check Celtic out and see if they do the same. That way you get to enjoy more power sooner and then upgrade when ready.

I would also make sure you have decent rubber to keep the power down.

As @saveoursouls said start a build thread so we can all follow the progress.

SpiderWelsh

Jul 3, 2018
Thanks guys.

I'll post a pic of the feller as it is stock when I get it (and the kids have been deposited at grandmas).

Definately going to throw a build thread up and share my progress, which may be very slow due to childcare fees being absolutely ridiculous, but will do bits and bobs when I can.

SpiderWelsh

Jul 3, 2018
You did well to get them to do the cambelt and waterpump. I found the perfect Leon minus the cambelt and waterpump, managed to haggle them down by £250, cost me £250 to get the work done so worked out.

Sounds like you have some good plans for the car, would be interested in seeing it progress.
Yeah I was lucky tbf, I'd spotted another very nearby and threatened to go get that one instead as it had just had both the cambelt/water pump and the clutch done for a very similar price and mileage, just 2 years older.

So in the end I got them down from £4,350 to £4k flat with a years bronze warrenty and the cambelt/water pump jobbie.

Used the money I saved to buy the Kenwood stereo.

However, I feel I was due some luck as my Honda died and left me owing a bank loan for the bugger after just a year. Gutted.

saveoursouls

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester
Yeah I was lucky tbf, I'd spotted another very nearby and threatened to go get that one instead as it had just had both the cambelt/water pump and the clutch done for a very similar price and mileage, just 2 years older.

So in the end I got them down from £4,350 to £4k flat with a years bronze warrenty and the cambelt/water pump jobbie.

Used the money I saved to buy the Kenwood stereo.

However, I feel I was due some luck as my Honda died and left me owing a bank loan for the bugger after just a year. Gutted.

I dread that exact situation, car becoming worth scrap and then having to pay off a loan. With this one I just paid cash up to what my budget would allow. That way if the car dies I’m not left with debt.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
Hi,
If anyone ever needs any help with insurance for a re-map then please do feel free to drop me a line. I'd be only too pleased to try and help.
Regards,
Dan.

SpiderWelsh

Jul 3, 2018
Car is finally with me!!!

106kgsy.jpg

jr46k7.jpg

o0a52d.jpg

Any ideas on FL or Pre FL??

Reactions: Jimbobcook

saveoursouls

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester
Car is finally with me!!!

106kgsy.jpg

jr46k7.jpg

o0a52d.jpg

Any ideas on FL or Pre FL??

Looks pre FL to me but then I’m not the best at judging between the two. The lights I know are a different shape on the FL version.

Great looking car, looks like mine only yours in the FR. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Looks like it's been looked after, I wish they did them wheels in 18 or 19".

I would say pre FL looking at the wing mirrors as the facelift got big versions and also with your previous photos if you check the steering wheel that's the big change.

I'd say pre FL but there isn't alot in it that one cannot be retrofitted or done better. I loved my pre FL FR.

Hope you're happy with your purchase.

Cheers

saveoursouls

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester
Looks like it's been looked after, I wish they did them wheels in 18 or 19".

I would say pre FL looking at the wing mirrors as the facelift got big versions and also with your previous photos if you check the steering wheel that's the big change.

I'd say pre FL but there isn't alot in it that one cannot be retrofitted or done better. I loved my pre FL FR.

Hope you're happy with your purchase.

Cheers

Hmmm you now have me wondering as to whether or not the facelift mirrors would go on the pre FL Leon. The pre FL mirrors are tiny.

SpiderWelsh

Jul 3, 2018
You might want to hide your reg plate, there’s been atleast one incident of someone cloning car plates.

Great Tip, Thanks!!!

I saw a few posts where people had done it, but wasn't sure cloning was still a thing with all the modern technologies to combat it, but will take your advice for sure.

Very happy with the purchase, it's a great little car!

A nice change to diesel commuters for thw past 5 years.

saveoursouls

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester
Great Tip, Thanks!!!

I saw a few posts where people had done it, but wasn't sure cloning was still a thing with all the modern technologies to combat it, but will take your advice for sure.

Very happy with the purchase, it's a great little car!

A nice change to diesel commuters for thw past 5 years.

I’d seen a post on here about it, I wasn’t aware myself but apparently still happens. Haha mines a diesel commuter with it being a 1.9 TDI, I wanted something sporty but all around practical, I hear that after a remap they are pretty quick so there’s always that.

SpiderWelsh

Jul 3, 2018
I’d seen a post on here about it, I wasn’t aware myself but apparently still happens. Haha mines a diesel commuter with it being a 1.9 TDI, I wanted something sporty but all around practical, I hear that after a remap they are pretty quick so there’s always that.

Tbh I don't mind diesel or petrols for feel while driving.

After my Honda was mapped it was a totally different car.

Also you have all the torques so whilst moving dervs are probably better, just that low down takes a bit to start pulling.

Reactions: saveoursouls

saveoursouls

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester
Tbh I don't mind diesel or petrols for feel while driving.

After my Honda was mapped it was a totally different car.

Also you have all the torques so whilst moving dervs are probably better, just that low down takes a bit to start pulling.

This is the highest BHP car I’ve had and the diesel I had years back was a Golf 1.9 SDI so had no turbo. Had a 1.3 petrol Yaris before this and a 1.8 petrol Avensis before that.

With that in mind the 1.9 TDI at stock producing 105BHP feels pretty quick to me when the turbo kicks in, I imagine after a remap I’m going to be pretty happy with the performance.

Reactions: SpiderWelsh

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
Dan, I’ve read some worrying reviews about Adrian Flux when it comes to having to make a claim. Quotations from Adrian Flux have been at a great price but can you alleviate any of my concerns?
Hi,
Not really too sure what I can tell you to be honest. We of course take customer service extremely seriously. Oblivious as a percentage you will away have clients that unfortunately do experience some difficults with claims but that goes for pretty much every insurer in the UK. I would of course personally look at any dispute you have with us if needs be and would do my upmost to help out.
Regards,
Dan.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.