2015 Seat Leon ST Cupra revealed - on sale in March

Cuprarob112

Dec 6, 2008
Looks nice, hope they have uprated the system of the rear axle that comes on the lower ST models. New isn't always beter but the system on the Hatch feels a lot better / refined compared with those on two ST's that I test drove a while ago.

Last edited:

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
Looks nice, hope they have uprated the system of the rear axle that comes on the lower ST models. New isn't always beter but the system on the Hatch feels a lot better / refined compared with those on two ST's that I test drove a while ago.

All the same components are used across the three body variants. Just depends which trim you choose. The weight difference with the ST is tiny, so it feels exactly the same ride wise as the others... A1.6 diesel hatch weighs more than a petrol ST... Yes there's a difference between SE and FR, but that's not an ST thing, its the same on all shapes.

Cuprarob112

Dec 6, 2008
Did you drive FR? If not then thats why.

One was an FR, dealers explanation was the Seat choose an older more compact axle type (I know the 3/5 door fr's have a multi link rear) to keep the bootspace of the station intact.
Would have to look into it but both estates didn't feel as refined (rear end) as the fr Hatch I drove but then again this could also have been caused by more weight in the rear/difference front/rear weight balance.

Last edited:

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
I really like my ST - it doesn't look like the archetypal estate cars I've been driving for years (Merc E, Saab 9-5). Got all of the Mk3 design lines, more than enough room in the back, but not boxy in shape.

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
One was an FR, dealers explanation was the Seat choose an older more compact axle type (I know the 3/5 door fr's have a multi link rear) to keep the bootspace of the station intact.
Would have to look into it but both estates didn't feel as refined (rear end) as the fr Hatch I drove but then again this could also have been caused by more weight in the rear/difference front/rear weight balance.

Honestly pal, your dealer was talking rubbish. The components really are exactly the same across all chassis types, unless you choose 180, 184 or cupra in ALL bodystyles which all get the multi link rear suspension setup. You are far more likely to notice a front/rear balance difference by switching petrol or diesel. The difference weight wise is larger between engines than it is between chassis.

1.4TSI FR 5dr ( without multilink) 1231kg
1.4TSI FR ST 1276kg.

2.0TDI 150 FR 5dr ( still without multilink) 1305kg
2.0TDI 150 FR ST 1350kg

Step up to a 184 though to get the multilink, and that's where the weight comes from... On all chassis shapes. You're adding about 40-50kg just in the extra components.
2.0TDI 184 FR 5dr 1345kg
2.0TDI 184 FR ST 1415kg

If what you want is to not feel the difference then ironically you want the lower spec model... Stick a pushchair in the back of a five door and your weight balance would match an ST almost exactly!

He was more likely to be comparing a 150 ST with the 184 5dr, in which case there is a difference. But you'd have noticed the same thing in a 5dr without multilink.

You can rest assured that a Cupra ST is absolutely guaranteed to have the multilink setup... And feel every bit as good to drive as a 5dr.

Last edited:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Honestly pal, your dealer was talking rubbish. The components really are exactly the same across all chassis types, unless you choose 180, 184 or cupra in ALL bodystyles which all get the multi link rear suspension setup. You are far more likely to notice a front/rear balance difference by switching petrol or diesel. The difference weight wise is larger between engines than it is between chassis.

1.4TSI FR 5dr ( without multilink) 1231kg
1.4TSI FR ST 1276kg.

2.0TDI 150 FR 5dr ( still without multilink) 1305kg
2.0TDI 150 FR ST 1350kg

Step up to a 184 though to get the multilink, and that's where the weight comes from... On all chassis shapes. You're adding about 40-50kg just in the extra components.
2.0TDI 184 FR 5dr 1345kg
2.0TDI 184 FR ST 1415kg

If what you want is to not feel the difference then ironically you want the lower spec model... Stick a pushchair in the back of a five door and your weight balance would match an ST almost exactly!

He was more likely to be comparing a 150 ST with the 184 5dr, in which case there is a difference. But you'd have noticed the same thing in a 5dr without multilink.

You can rest assured that a Cupra ST is absolutely guaranteed to have the multilink setup... And feel every bit as good to drive as a 5dr.

Don't forget that the multilink cars also get the bigger discs and calipers that have contributed to that extra weight.

Cuprarob112

Dec 6, 2008

I believe you but will wait untill it arrives and make a test drive. Once made the mistake of ordering a car after a way too short test drive and learned from that (ordering an unseen car just to be the first won't be for me).

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
I believe you but will wait untill it arrives and make a test drive. Once made the mistake of ordering a car after a way too short test drive and learned from that (ordering an unseen car just to be the first won't be for me).

Don't blame you mate. Sounds like a sensible plan. I'm waiting for the new Jag XE to land at dealerships before I decide on my next.

Cuprarob112

Dec 6, 2008
Always liked jaguars and last year went for an f type only to find out they gave it the ride of a ricer car with cheap ultra low suspension (you can litterally feel even the tiniest bump in the road) and the thing has no boot space.

rob.e

Oct 1, 2012
This might be my next car.. currently in (my second) octavia vRS estate, but i fancy having the 280PS engine and diff - you can't get those on a skoda unfortunately.

I contacted Seat customer services to see if they had any more information on the Sub8 pack, like the weight implications of the brembos vs. the stock brakes or the weight of those ugly new 19"s. They rang me back today to say they don't have that information .. :(

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Just waiting to see where this pitches on the company car scheme... Golf R is already extremely keenly priced (given the 60k/36M lease)

Should be close with the discounts from SEAT vs the lower future price compared to the Golf

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members