2016 stone chip rust

Jul 31, 2020
Hi all, me again with the cursed seat Leon!

Right so I've got a stone chip in the rear quarter panel, just above the light, the passanger side/without fuel cap. God knows how it got there, but it's got rust in it, it's absolutely tiny, like a pen dot! I'm assuming it wasn't there before, but I can't say for sure! It's so small, I tried to pick rust out with end of paper clip, to no sucsess, so the rust is in there hard as it's a deep chip!

Now I don't know anywhere locally which will match this paint colour without spraying the entire side of the car at over £500! As it's an awful colour, for now I've sprayed some rattle can laqure over it. I'm not so concerned about it being there since it is absolutely tiny, but in that spot if it spreads, it's more than visable!

Any suggestions? Will it be fine if I leave it or should I do something? I actually hate the car at this point, so don't want to spend money on it, but don't want to lose alot if the rust spreads/bubbles in 2/3 years when I change it!
Thanks for any input

Attachments

• IMG_20210716_165647.jpg
    IMG_20210716_165647.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_20210716_170405.jpg
    IMG_20210716_170405.jpg
    430.6 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_20210716_170429.jpg
    IMG_20210716_170429.jpg
    571.9 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_20210716_170431.jpg
    IMG_20210716_170431.jpg
    537.9 KB · Views: 166

PaulusB

Jun 9, 2019
Just pick it out good use this brunox rust converter stuff and use a good paint chip pen in your color.

U should be oke.

Attachments

• p156173_900_900.jpg
    p156173_900_900.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 115
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 112

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I've tried picking it out with a paper clip and can't! Any suggestions?
Maybe try a rust removal product such as those at the links below?

I’ve never used these so can’t vouch for their effectiveness but if I was buying one, I’d go for one that gets good reviews, is easy to apply (a gel based product would probably be easier than a lIquid), and doesn’t damage surrounding paintwork .

Small sizes only cost a few £’s so if they don’t work it‘s not cost you much, and if you do your research I dare say you’ll find them cheaper elsewhere, and also find some alternative products to those at the links I’ve posted.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I've never had any proper good results from these products "turn black so you know they have worked" - paint some on plastic or wood and when they dry they still go black. For small spots I'd only ever use a liquid version and apply it using a needle or similar small pointed device and only apply it in very small quantities. I've bought a Bilthammer product but I've only ever used it on unseen areas with light surface rust - and that does seem to work. I have some zinc product that I might use on my car to try to stop surface rust on a visible small area. I don't think that there is any good proper products that only stabilise rust on the market for DIYers, okay the Bilthammer offering seems to work but I'm not sure if I will apply it, wash and dry then apply zinc and primer then top coat.
You can buy a rotary multtool that has diamond tipped small bits and that would get down through the rust I'd think.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I've never had any proper good results from these products "turn black so you know they have worked" - paint some on plastic or wood and when they dry they still go black. For small spots I'd only ever use a liquid version and apply it using a needle or similar small pointed device and only apply it in very small quantities. I've bought a Bilthammer product but I've only ever used it on unseen areas with light surface rust - and that does seem to work. I have some zinc product that I might use on my car to try to stop surface rust on a visible small area. I don't think that there is any good proper products that only stabilise rust on the market for DIYers, okay the Bilthammer offering seems to work but I'm not sure if I will apply it, wash and dry then apply zinc and primer then top coat.
You can buy a rotary multtool that has diamond tipped small bits and that would get down through the rust I'd think.
From what I’ve read, the Hammerite Rust Removal Gel isn’t s rust converter product (e.g. Hammerite Kurust); it’s a rust removal product, removing the corrosion back to bare metal, so as I understand it, it’s different to those products like Kurust that turn the treated areas black.

Agree that if @rmills55 has a rotary multi tool such as a Dremmel, then there’ll probably be a suitable abrasive attachment that’s small enough to fit into the stone chip and remove the rust.

Slightly off topic; I find it good practice to look for stone chip (and similar) damage when I wash my car, which is usually every 10-14 days, and if I find any, then repairing them forms part of the car washing routine. Because I wash my car fairly regularly and garage it when it’s not being used (so it’s not exposed to the elements), any stone chips don’t really have too much of an opportunity to corrode before they’re attended to.