2018/2019 SEAT Leon keyless key sleep time?

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
Does anyone know or has tested the time it takes for the keyless key to go to sleep? This excerpt is from both the 2018 and 2019 Leon manual but does not exist in the 2017 version.

IMG_20190815_191232.jpg

Reactions: Phil13

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
I was under the impression this was only just brought in, as in MY20 model years? If the manual is correct, then good bye faraday pouch!

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
I was under the impression this was only just brought in, as in MY20 model years? If the manual is correct, then good bye faraday pouch!
It's in manuals from 2018 onwards. I downloaded all of them to see when it went back to. In the 2017 versions it doesn't exist. I've not had chance to test it though. Was hoping someone had.

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
I agree. Not sure why SEAT didn't make this more obvious.

Elliot29

Apr 25, 2010
Had a mate bragging his new Fiesta ST will do this and I didnt think mine would, like above, wish Seat would make it more obvious! Might have to give it a test :)

Reactions: Kirky

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019
Does anyone know or has tested the time it takes for the keyless key to go to sleep? This excerpt is from both the 2018 and 2019 Leon manual but does not exist in the 2017 version.

View attachment 9296
So does this mean once in sleep mode the key can’t be copied or it can be but because the key has not moved the copy key won’t open car ?

Surely they will then just wait for you to return and go in and then just use the copied key and get it that way

I defo think Ghost Autowatch is way to go it’s very appealing

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
So does this mean once in sleep mode the key can’t be copied or it can be but because the key has not moved the copy key won’t open car ?

Surely they will then just wait for you to return and go in and then just use the copied key and get it that way

I defo think Ghost Autowatch is way to go it’s very appealing
If the key fob is in sleep mode, it won’t be transmitting a signal. Therefore, there’s no signal for would-be perpetrators with signal amplification equipment to pick up and fool the car into thinking the key is within range.

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
Going to test today while washing the car. Will leave the key within 1.5m of the car and try and open it after washing the car without moving the key. Will let you know if it does sleep or not.

Reactions: bgb and Betts-4

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
Well it's either a lie or the sleep time is quite long. While washing my car the sponge touched the handle and unlocked the car. This was about 5 minutes or more after putting the key in a stationary place. So looks like the manual is incorrect unfortunately.

adamsupergeek

Dec 11, 2018
Yes I tried it, left the key near the car for at least 15 mins and could still open the car using the handle.

Perhaps the key needs to be further away from the car, as in it’s designed to work when the key is in your house so signal boosters can’t be used, so would be hard to test without the proper equipment!

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
Yer maybe if the key is left in range it doesn’t disable, makes sense!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is a good point. If the key is within communication range maybe it stays active. So the only way to test would be to use the relay kit thieves use or leave the key in a set place and use the other key to move the car within range of a key you've left somewhere.

Reactions: adamsupergeek

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
Can anyone help to clarify this?
I've read in some Skoda forums it's been confirmed on their keys as 2 minutes. It's hard to test as stated above though.
I think the easiest method would be to put the key into a RFID proof container with a lid near the car. Put the lid on to prevent communication and then after a period of time remove the lid and test to see if you can open the car. In theory it should have gone to sleep if you don't move the key.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.