Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
What is it?

Meet the entry-level engine choice for the CUPRA Formentor in the V2 spec (not to be confused with the VZ2), We’ve got most of the external looks of the VZ2 but how does the 1.5 TSI hold up against the other more powerful versions? Read on to find out.

Verdict
With great low-down power, comfort, good looks and reasonable price, I think this V2 trim is a great choice for those not looking for the full fat engine trims. A good all-rounder for those looking to join in on the new premium brand.

Our rating

4 stars out of 5

What we liked

Styling
Ride comfort
Bucket seats

What we didn’t like

Lacks overtaking grunt...

Continue reading...

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
:thumbup: Great review @Jimbobcook
If I may add. The MY22 gets the touch controls in the rear and they are lit, but still unlit in the front (go figure).
I have the manual V2 1.5 and it does overtake really well with correct use of the gearbox. I remember testing a 1.5tsi A3 with DSG and thought the engine/gearbox combo was not that good, seems to just rev rather than go. But totally agree that the car performs outstandingly when just cruising around, don’t get me wrong, I miss the grunt of the VZ Edition but don’t miss the issues it had. The infotainment in this car has only played up once between Perth and Aberdeen (ACC went all American), apart from that it’s been spot on. Oh and the best colour is Desire Red :drool::cheeky:

Last edited:

rpcor2

Sep 20, 2021
Again, thanks so much for this review; that's exactly the model and colour that I've ordered so nice to see it reviewed. Just a question on the infotainment screen... Was that the new 10 inch version Cupra are putting into this model instead of the original 12 inch? (If so, doesn't look too bad - maybe even a little sharper in resolution?).

Thanks again in any case. (y)

Reactions: Jimbobcook

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Again, thanks so much for this review; that's exactly the model and colour that I've ordered so nice to see it reviewed. Just a question on the infotainment screen... Was that the new 10 inch version Cupra are putting into this model instead of the original 12 inch? (If so, doesn't look too bad - maybe even a little sharper in resolution?).

Thanks again in any case. (y)
Thanks for the feedback (y), I didn't measure it unfortunately but luckily I still have the spec sheet and it seems that one had the 12 inch screen, that being said I don't think you'd notice the difference much.

You've got a great car on the way!

Reactions: jcbmally and rpcor2

rpcor2

Sep 20, 2021
Thanks for the feedback (y), I didn't measure it unfortunately but luckily I still have the spec sheet and it seems that one had the 12 inch screen, that being said I don't think you'd notice the difference much.

You've got a great car on the way!
I'm with you on the colour too - and very surprised how the Magnetic Tech Grey looks like a deep blue!! :unsure: I was kinda hoping that the silver accents around the wheel arches and elsewhere wouldn't be that prominent and that the Magnetic Tech Grey would make it all blend in somewhat!

Oh well, it's done now!! I went for the petrol blue leather w/copper stitching and also specced the beats pack - so I get an actual spare wheel with sub inside.

And appreciate your thoughts about the engine... I test drove a 1.5TSI and thought it was absolutely fine for my needs. Anything more would be a waste for me personally. Currently leasing a Jaguar 2.0L Turbo but with most London roads being single-lane 20MPH jobs with super massive bus lanes, never really get to use the power! So decided 1.5 would be fine - and slightly cheaper. And the test drive confirmed that.

Brilliant review - thanks again for taking the time and posting the images too! 👏👏👏👌👌👌

Reactions: AMally and jcbmally

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I'm with you on the colour too - and very surprised how the Magnetic Tech Grey looks like a deep blue!! :unsure: I was kinda hoping that the silver accents around the wheel arches and elsewhere wouldn't be that prominent and that the Magnetic Tech Grey would make it all blend in somewhat!

Oh well, it's done now!! I went for the petrol blue leather w/copper stitching and also specced the beats pack - so I get an actual spare wheel with sub inside.

And appreciate your thoughts about the engine... I test drove a 1.5TSI and thought it was absolutely fine for my needs. Anything more would be a waste for me personally. Currently leasing a Jaguar 2.0L Turbo but with most London roads being single-lane 20MPH jobs with super massive bus lanes, never really get to use the power! So decided 1.5 would be fine - and slightly cheaper. And the test drive confirmed that.

Brilliant review - thanks again for taking the time and posting the images too! 👏👏👏👌👌👌
Once you get used to how you need to treat the engine to get the most out of it I found it to be a great car! It doesn't react well to mashing your foot down but as a cruiser / town car it's a belter!

Yeah the colour is one of the best I think so suit the copper accents, I'd happily have the V2 I think when my Mk3 Leon Cupra goes back.

When does yours arrive?

Reactions: jcbmally

rpcor2

Sep 20, 2021
Once you get used to how you need to treat the engine to get the most out of it I found it to be a great car! It doesn't react well to mashing your foot down but as a cruiser / town car it's a belter!

Yeah the colour is one of the best I think so suit the copper accents, I'd happily have the V2 I think when my Mk3 Leon Cupra goes back.

When does yours arrive?
Have been told April 2022 - but reading this forum, that could mean anything!! :) No build date yet, so who knows?

Reactions: Jimbobcook

Scotby

May 19, 2021
A good, valid and accurate review of the 1.5 V2 DSG in my opinion. I’ve had mine since September and have found 150bhp is absolutely enough for my 12 mile commute out of central London each day. I haven’t had the opportunity to use full throttle yet since it’s only got 600 miles on it, but it certainly doesn’t feel underpowered. Must be getting old, when I think back to a JCW MINI I had, that in hindsight had too much power - 210 bhp in a small car was just bonkers. Magnetic grey colour really can look very blue in certain light. Great colour, but then so too is the dark camouflage.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
A good, valid and accurate review of the 1.5 V2 DSG in my opinion. I’ve had mine since September and have found 150bhp is absolutely enough for my 12 mile commute out of central London each day. I haven’t had the opportunity to use full throttle yet since it’s only got 600 miles on it, but it certainly doesn’t feel underpowered. Must be getting old, when I think back to a JCW MINI I had, that in hindsight had too much power - 210 bhp in a small car was just bonkers. Magnetic grey colour really can look very blue in certain light. Great colour, but then so too is the dark camouflage.
Thanks very much for your feedback, glad it goes along with your thoughts as well.
210bhp on a mini would be fun indeed!

Dec 22, 2021
Had my 1.5 150 DSG coming up to a month now, slightly disappointed with fuel return, but hopefully this will improve with some more miles on the clock ! NO issues so far !, i find the car has plenty of power for my needs, mainly town driving and having the sunroof allows the interior to be brightened up as the dark head lining can drag the cars interior down at tad, just personal pref. I am getting to grips with the infotainment system now and don't find it to difficult, most everyday things (seat heating, climate ,media vol,) can be operated from the bottom slider controls ,just a pity the bottom bar isn't back lit at night :unsure:

Albie999

Sep 12, 2014
Had my 1.5 150 DSG coming up to a month now, slightly disappointed with fuel return, but hopefully this will improve with some more miles on the clock ! NO issues so far !, i find the car has plenty of power for my needs, mainly town driving and having the sunroof allows the interior to be brightened up as the dark head lining can drag the cars interior down at tad, just personal pref. I am getting to grips with the infotainment system now and don't find it to difficult, most everyday things (seat heating, climate ,media vol,) can be operated from the bottom slider controls ,just a pity the bottom bar isn't back lit at night :unsure:
You can also control the seat heating etc, using the voice control, try "turn heated seat to level 1". What fuel economy have you been getting? My car just about to hit 1000 miles, and registered this on the last refuel to empty (range left showing 40 miles). This was a bit of everything driving, motorway, lanes, traffic etc

IMG20211221183336.jpg

Dec 22, 2021
You can also control the seat heating etc, using the voice control, try "turn heated seat to level 1". What fuel economy have you been getting? My car just about to hit 1000 miles, and registered this on the last refuel to empty (range left showing 40 miles). This was a bit of everything driving, motorway, lanes, traffic etc

View attachment 28921
Only done 500 miles and getting about 25mpg,that's town driving,hope it will creep up as the miles do 🤞.as far as the voice control goes I haven't had much joy,doesn't do anything like I ask it to 🙄

Albie999

Sep 12, 2014
Only done 500 miles and getting about 25mpg,that's town driving,hope it will creep up as the miles do 🤞.as far as the voice control goes I haven't had much joy,doesn't do anything like I ask it to 🙄
When I first got the car, the voice control seemed patchy, now it seems to understand a lot more, such as play "radio station name", turn up heating, turn down etc .... What it does not seem to do is work very good with the inbuilt navigation, although I tend to use Android auto with that

rpcor2

Sep 20, 2021
Have been told April 2022 - but reading this forum, that could mean anything!! :) No build date yet, so who knows?
Update... 3rd Feb 2022 and STILL no build date!! Called the dealership for an update as I now have access to the SLI number... Marshalls basically just laughed and told me "we can confirm that Seat have accepted the order - that's it!"

Was told maybe September now!! Seriously tempted to just cancel now - and keep the Jag (lease) for another 2 years - and let the chip shortage situation sort itself out. Lease price goes down slightly when keeping it for another 2 years - and can save a bit of money - and possibly avoid some of the headaches a lot on here have been experiencing... :unsure::unsure:

• Sad
Reactions: Syphon

Bear

Jun 15, 2021
Update... 3rd Feb 2022 and STILL no build date!! Called the dealership for an update as I now have access to the SLI number... Marshalls basically just laughed and told me "we can confirm that Seat have accepted the order - that's it!"

Was told maybe September now!! Seriously tempted to just cancel now - and keep the Jag (lease) for another 2 years - and let the chip shortage situation sort itself out. Lease price goes down slightly when keeping it for another 2 years - and can save a bit of money - and possibly avoid some of the headaches a lot on here have been experiencing... :unsure::unsure:
You're posting these same moans on various threads. I think you've made your point.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.