Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
What is it

Welcome to the 2020 SEAT Leon e-HYBRID FR First Edition 204PS DSG, the successor to the popular MK3 Leon, we find a new shape, plug-in hybrid system and updated interior. How does it stack up against the previous SEAT MK3 Leon? We’ve reviewed the estate, now it’s time for the hatch.

Verdict
The FR First Edition Leon e-Hybrid brings harmony between the innovative technology and driver, along with the advantages of being a plug-in hybrid. This MK4 Leon is a great car, its only real downside is the lack of boot space introduced by the battery.

Our rating

4 stars out of 5

What we liked

Updated technology
New style Interior...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: Tell

Chemical Matt

Dec 16, 2020
Thanks for the in depth review. I have a PHEV Xcellence estate ordered for delivery some time in April. I ordered the car due to the low tax rate as this will be a company car but haven't been able to drive one or even sit in one due to the pandemic. Hopefully I'll like it.?

One question - what charging cables are supplied with the car? The literature is a but vague on the subject.

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Thanks for the in depth review. I have a PHEV Xcellence estate ordered for delivery some time in April. I ordered the car due to the low tax rate as this will be a company car but haven't been able to drive one or even sit in one due to the pandemic. Hopefully I'll like it.?

One question - what charging cables are supplied with the car? The literature is a but vague on the subject.

@Jimbobcook question for you

Reactions: Jimbobcook

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
46.6mpg on your journey??
When it was allowed I regularly undertook a 105 mile journey that was half motorway & the rest mainly 50 or 60mph limits. Driving close to the speed limits & overtaking when necessary my 2018 FR 1.4TSi (150) has always obtained 50-52; and I have no loss of boot space.
This model may have more power/torque available but economy doesn't seem to be a justification for its cost & lack of boot space.

corbu33

Oct 24, 2020
@Glosphil : so get the estate PHEV, that's what I did.
btw @Chemical Matt: when did you ordered yours. I did in the beginning of December and the dealer told me same around April ... too long wait :).

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
When it was allowed I regularly undertook a 105 mile journey that was half motorway & the rest mainly 50 or 60mph limits. Driving close to the speed limits & overtaking when necessary my 2018 FR 1.4TSi (150) has always obtained 50-52; and I have no loss of boot space.
This model may have more power/torque available but economy doesn't seem to be a justification for its cost & lack of boot space.
I'd agree on the price and boot space. You are getting about 50 more horses though and more torque.
If you mostly do 100+ mile journeys maybe a hybrid car doesn't suit your needs. But with some shorter journeys using the electric range, then that would help.
@Jimbobcook also mentions that the power delivery is marvellous in this e-hybrid. It's not all about economy. Surely the driving experience matters too :)

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
This model had both cables and no extras listed for the FR First edition, under the spec sheet I got seems to specify the Mode 3 16A charging cable for a charging station is in the FR First Edition and above, the others must just come with the horn socket attachment from what I'm reading.

I can only imagine that you were running the 1.4tsi at its optimal speed (50-60mph) for a decent portion of the journey, my trip was near enough a consistent 70mph for 3 hours (one way) which would probably use a little more fuel etc not that I'm against your thoughts as the boot space issue is a big one but this engine could do a lot more I feel. The first half of my trip got 50.6mpg and if you dropped to single carriage A roads doing 50mph I don't doubt during a long journey would see way more mpg.
Also with the battery you can keep the battery reserve set so when you get to low mpg areas like towns you'll save the petrol and gain your mpg back for any loss previous.
It's a great car, shame about the boot space...

I'd agree on the price and boot space. You are getting about 50 more horses though and more torque.
If you mostly do 100+ mile journeys maybe a hybrid car doesn't suit your needs. But with some shorter journeys using the electric range, then that would help.
@Jimbobcook also mentions that the power delivery is marvellous in this e-hybrid. It's not all about economy. Surely the driving experience matters too :)
For shorter journeys this car is a beauty, I think the journey I put it through it did rather well, after driving the 1.5 eTSI as well I can confirm the power output from the PHEV was very good. The estate hybrid would be a great car!

Reactions: seatgraham

Chemical Matt

Dec 16, 2020
@Glosphil : so get the estate PHEV, that's what I did.
btw @Chemical Matt: when did you ordered yours. I did in the beginning of December and the dealer told me same around April ... too long wait :).

My order was eventually placed on 21st Dec. The estimate they sent me at the time was 9th April. It's very difficult getting updates on the delivery times from the lease company so I don't know how realistic that time is.

GlekkeMatrak

Dec 22, 2020
Houtvenne, Belgium
Great review! Getting into exactly every detail that really matters (y).
I've driven my 1.4 TSI with ACT at 53.5mpg. Once. At 45mph mostly. And to achieve this, had to literally stroke the gas pedal rather than push it.
So all the tech, all the comfort, and all the power, being able to run approx. 46mpg on average, sounds like a nice evolution to me...

EDIT: used US gallons for my conversion! So in Imperial gallons, achieved 64.2 once.

Last edited:

Philk

Nov 19, 2020
Our MK4 FR 150 appears to be happily averaging mid forties MPG without resorting to Eco Mode and we find the performance more than adequate for our needs. We prefer the look of the hatchback to the Estate and, being honest, cannot see any benefit of the Hybrid given the loss of boot space and the £5K+ increase in purchase price. We would never see that back in terms of improved economy over the lifetime of our ownership.

Reactions: Syphon

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Our MK4 FR 150 appears to be happily averaging mid forties MPG without resorting to Eco Mode and we find the performance more than adequate for our needs. We prefer the look of the hatchback to the Estate and, being honest, cannot see any benefit of the Hybrid given the loss of boot space and the £5K+ increase in purchase price. We would never see that back in terms of improved economy over the lifetime of our ownership.
That's the benefit of having quite a few models to choose from, everyone has their style/model/shape they prefer and as long as your happy then that's all that should matter. The 1.5 eTSI was a good engine, do you find it loud (than you'd expect) under heavy acceleration? The boot space is a massive blow for those who use it and want the Plug in hybrid.

Philk

Nov 19, 2020
The 1.5 eTSI was a good engine, do you find it loud (than you'd expect) under heavy acceleration? The boot space is a massive blow for those who use it and want the Plug in hybrid.

The engine does not seem to be any louder than the same engine in our previous car (MK3 FR 150). The loss of boot space in the hybrid would be show-stopper. We far prefer the shape of hatchbacks over estates (in particular, the well insulated parcel shelf tray in normal use) and we use every cubic centimetre of space for doing university runs.

Reactions: Jimbobcook

Chemical Matt

Dec 16, 2020
My order was eventually placed on 21st Dec. The estimate they sent me at the time was 9th April. It's very difficult getting updates on the delivery times from the lease company so I don't know how realistic that time is.
Just had an update from the lease company to say the build was confirmed for this week so with me by end of March or early April 🤞

Reactions: Syphon

corbu33

Oct 24, 2020
PHEV ? because also me they reconfirmed with 1 month earlier (so build week should be first week of March and delivery by end of March hopefully)

Chemical Matt

Dec 16, 2020
PHEV ? because also me they reconfirmed with 1 month earlier (so build week should be first week of March and delivery by end of March hopefully)
Yes, ordered the PHEV Xcellence estate. Just had one option of the safety and driving pack M because I've had adaptive cruise control for 5 years now on my current Skoda Superb and wouldn't want to be without it.
Just waiting for it to be listed on the governments electric vehicle homecharge scheme list so that I can get the grant for installing a charge point for home.

corbu33

Oct 24, 2020
Hi. Guys one important question: today I have tested exactly the 204 BHP version (until now only Cupra 245 Hybrid and Passat GTE)... and at very low speeds between 0 - 30ish km/h... I have noticed a humming sound (and I guess is the pedestrian alert, and it happens only in electric mode)... did you notice it as well and is there any way to turn it off ?
thx,

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.