2nd service txt from Dealer...

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016
1 you started this thread, seemingly as a statement to provoke

2 long life intervals are based on many parameters which the 'car' has to be told to monitor. Without 'telling' the car to do so it won't know when to suggest a service.

andycupra

status subject to change
why do you only do 4,500 miles a year? - it its because journeys are very short, or do you longer drives but less of them?

you say oil can do twice 10,000 miles with normal driving.. - so is your driving normal or are you doing lots of tiny drives?

sounds like dealer is simply doing the right thing, as said above you are approaching 12 months so service is due.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
1 you started this thread, seemingly as a statement to provoke

2 long life intervals are based on many parameters which the 'car' has to be told to monitor. Without 'telling' the car to do so it won't know when to suggest a service.

This. How does a car (and hence the oil) know how you drive the 4500 miles? Flat out everywhere in 1st? Daily? Weekly? Bank holidays? Motorway steady speed? Up and down like a fiddlers elbow? Unmade roads? Etc etc.
Oh yes. And it is an oil change. Not a complete nut and bolt rebuild of the engine. Somewhat cheaper. Why worry? Have it done and feel the benefit of the warranty. Don't have it done and... Er ... Don't. Your call.
If I was looking at a second hand model, and one had regular dealer ( or equivalent) oil changes/services etc and the other didn't, I know which I'd go for.

LeonFRTDi

MrGadget
Jan 29, 2005
Northsostishire
why do you only do 4,500 miles a year? - it its because journeys are very short, or do you longer drives but less of them?

you say oil can do twice 10,000 miles with normal driving.. - so is your driving normal or are you doing lots of tiny drives?

sounds like dealer is simply doing the right thing, as said above you are approaching 12 months so service is due.

I drive more than one Car for a start. OK
Plus for several months of the year its parked up ni on as iam driving a TRACTOR for sometimes 15hrs everyday & which incidentally gets its oil changed every 400engine hours
which might take 2months or might take 2 years to clockup but so what. Makes no difference to its 5yr warranty from NEW which is also done by its supplying dealer.
And it cost 3 nearly four times this Car did.
Never had a Tractor engine issue in 27yrs
The newer models are using the same specced Engine oil i use now run at 500hr service intervals
Of course i know nowt about Engines & Oil.
Outside of all our Tractors warranty i do most of there servicing & all the filters by the book.

Yes normal driving i live in the STICKS so no traffic jams, no setting idling in traffic jams on way to work... oh wait a min i live where i work... another reason for my low annual car mileage. Car used for shopping & family visits etc etc then parked undercover at all times now.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Why not get some of your tractorist people to do the oil then? Whilst you are out cutting swathes of greenery on your trusty John Deere? I bet they'd do a gallon or so of oil suitable for your soot chucker at peanuts . Result. And you could get them to stamp the book. Easy peazy.lemon squeezy.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Some folks have little idea how good modern Engine Oils have actually become even in the last 10yrs.

The Oil in our Cars more so the TDI's id say over the petrols esp these VAG engined cars
is so advanced it can do upto 21,000 miles without it needing changed.
Now its upto each & every one of us to decide if thats ok but eitherway VW Group are happy
enough otherwise why do they have these extended variable service intervals?

So i opted to change mine every 10,000 miles but still using the same silly GARAGE charged
Long life Spec Factory OIL OK.

I never used a drop from 4500miles it had on when i bought it until it was changed at just over 10,000 & hey presto dipped it this morning & its bang-on the top mark.

Your correct oil technology has advanced in considerably in the last 10 years, but so has engine design and modern engines can be much harder on the oil especially with all the extra emission control systems and the quest to meet ever tighter exhaust emissions.
Take you statement about your car using no oil, how do you know it hasn't , one of the byproducts of the dpf and the regen system is that heavy oil (diesel fuel) is washed past the rings and into the sump during a dpf regenerating cycle.
So you could in fact be using oil and it's simply being replaced with diesel, giving the illusion that you have used no oil.
As for vag being happy to have extended or variable oil change, that's more to do with vag keeping fleet buyers happy, as they are one of biggest buyers of new cars and as they only tend to keep them 3 years so they couldn't care less what happens 10 years down the line, they just want vehicles on the road earning money and in the garage being serviced as little as possible. Plus they tend to do mostly high miles motorway which is probably least stressful on the oil of any driving scenario.

I'm with Kazand, I'd bung the tractor garage a few quid and change the oil every year,it's cheap peace of mind

LeonFRTDi

MrGadget
Jan 29, 2005
Northsostishire
All sorted with Dealer. Service & MOT will be done just before its due its 1st MOT
I do low yearly mileage therefore needs nothing doing.
Only snag is the warning is now coming on that its due a service in 19days...
OMG i now have to put up with that for next 6months...
Wish i had just left it on Variable Servicing now... yet id still service it every 10000miles
You cant win.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.