3.0 TDI's turbine into Leon's 1.9 TDI

turb0

Hello everyone,

I recently chip tuned Leon II and got around 140 hp from 105 hp. The car runs much better, but it's still not enough.

I've been thinking exteme; to take out current turbine, find and install 3.0 Audi's turbine into a current engine. Your thoughts? Is it feasible and what would be a potential result? What other changes would I need to make in that case? I was told the gear shift can remain as it is, but I somewhat doubt it, it's 5 speed gear ****, I doubt it could take the pressure. Thanks a lot guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

trqster

Apr 10, 2006
Lisbon - Portugal
With a VNT1749VB unit (from PD TDI150,160) that should be much easier to fit, you should be able to pull circa 200bhp...

Like timbotdi said, Allard in the UK seems to be the place to go for serious TDI modding.

timbotdi

Oct 18, 2006
With a VNT1749VB unit (from PD TDI150,160) that should be much easier to fit, you should be able to pull circa 200bhp...

Like timbotdi said, Allard in the UK seems to be the place to go for serious modding.

Is the same still true, from a non-PD 1.9?

T

turb0

First up the VNT turbo from the V6 is made for a different manifold, and most importantly the PD engine! If you are serious about engine tuning, as ever, you need to look at this page:

http://www.allardmotorcompany.com/pages/products/products-cat6.asp?cat=6

Full of dedicated bespoke VAG diesel tuning options... You're best off giving them a bell once you have an idea what you're after.

T

I'm not in England, so I can't visit the shop :(
I was more interested in advice, what would u guys recommend as a "best-buy" option, which turbine to seek?
Does the one from A6's 3.0 TDI even fits into 1.9 TDI?

trqster said:

Not sure which unit do u mean?! TDI doesn't come in 160 hp, does it? 2.0 TDI runs with 140 hp...

Anyways, what other car changes would have to be made when installing a larger turbine?

trqster

Apr 10, 2006
Lisbon - Portugal
Not sure which unit do u mean?! TDI doesn't come in 160 hp, does it? 2.0 TDI runs with 140 hp...

The VNT1749VB is the standard turbo that the 1.9 PD TDI150's and Ibiza Cupra TDI160 have from factory. It should be plug&play...and give enough boost for ~200bhp.

Anyways, what other car changes would have to be made when installing a larger turbine?

Depends on the turbo, but if it's a "bigger" one you need a custom exhaust manifold...it's deffo not plug&play...

turb0

The VNT1749VB is the standard turbo that the 1.9 PD TDI150's and Ibiza Cupra TDI160 have from factory. It should be plug&play...and give enough boost for ~200bhp.

Is that circa 200 bhp after installing exp. Ibiza Cupra TDI160 turbo charger and another remap (writing a new chip into it)? Do you know does it fit for sure under the new Leon's hood and what's the aprox price? Would I need to make any other changes, such as clutch, brakes, gear shift?
Thanks a lot dude! ;)

Depends on the turbo, but if it's a "bigger" one you need a custom exhaust manifold...it's deffo not plug&play...

Every one that's bigger than the ones you suggested? Nevermind, I'd be very happy if I could squeez 200 bhp from 105 bhp, I wouldn't ask for more :rolleyes:

trqster

Apr 10, 2006
Lisbon - Portugal
Is that circa 200 bhp after installing exp. Ibiza Cupra TDI160 turbo charger and another remap (writing a new chip into it)? Do you know does it fit for sure under the new Leon's hood and what's the aprox price? Would I need to make any other changes, such as clutch, brakes, gear shift?
Thanks a lot dude! ;)

Not quite...you'll need PD TDI130/150 injectors, PD TDI150 instake manifold, a larger IC and possibly a reinforced clutch (since the standard will almost surely slip). Maybe a few more bits that I can't recall...
Just with the turbo upgrade, maybe you'll be able to pull circa 170bhp...

Anyway this is no amateur stuff....you gotta go to a specialized TDI tuning shop for a properly done job. If you were portuguese I could point out a few shops... :D

Good luck!

MattFrench

No poke without smoke
Jan 16, 2007
www.rsfrench.com
You need deep pockets what ever you decide to do. If you was after power you should have looked at getting a 2.0 td or a 1.9 pd, only my own opion

turb0

tragster said:
Just with the turbo upgrade, maybe you'll be able to pull circa 170bhp...
That would be fine too...Can that be remapped with a new chip after installation or this is it, no software work after this?

By the way, I was going to have professionals do whatever I decide to upgrade (I wasn't gonna mess around it with it myself), I am just learning about options right now...

You need deep pockets what ever you decide to do. If you was after power you should have looked at getting a 2.0 td or a 1.9 pd, only my own opion

Hehe it is how it is...this model was a good opportunity, good price, so...Besides, I like tuning, adding something to it every now and then...

trqster

Apr 10, 2006
Lisbon - Portugal
That would be fine too...Can that be remapped with a new chip after installation or this is it, no software work after this?

By the way, I was going to have professionals do whatever I decide to upgrade (I wasn't gonna mess around it with it myself), I am just learning about options right now...

Yes, you'll need an adjustment to the chip/remap after bolting on the new turbo. It should work ok with the current chip/remap, but you won't be able to exploit all the potential.

Keep us updated!

shadowmaker

2.5TDI 228kW 587Nm@1,3bar
Feb 28, 2007
We have a brand new GT22v from 3.0TDI Audi fitted to a mk4 Golf 1.9TDI. This engine has very little resemblence to the original and maybe you shouldn't try this without any large modifications (I see no point in doing so as the low rev area will hurt badly). The car is running, but it hasn't really been tested yet as it has to be painted first. Paint job might be ready within a week or so, but mapping hasn't been even booked yet. The car made 230hp, 450Nm with GT2252v from VW T5 (174hp) earlier, but had too much EMP to even start to raise fueling with it. So we needed something bigger and decided to try this one.

Hopefully we'll get it to spool under 2400rpm, but maybe it won't. In that case we just try something else.

turb0

We have a brand new GT22v from 3.0TDI Audi fitted to a mk4 Golf 1.9TDI. This engine has very little resemblence to the original and maybe you shouldn't try this without any large modifications (I see no point in doing so as the low rev area will hurt badly). The car is running, but it hasn't really been tested yet as it has to be painted first. Paint job might be ready within a week or so, but mapping hasn't been even booked yet. The car made 230hp, 450Nm with GT2252v from VW T5 (174hp) earlier, but had too much EMP to even start to raise fueling with it. So we needed something bigger and decided to try this one.

Hopefully we'll get it to spool under 2400rpm, but maybe it won't. In that case we just try something else.

Do you think turbocharger from Audi's 2.5 TDI would have been a better way to go? A friend of mine installed that one in his Skoda Fabia 1.9 TDI...he did some extra work too, but the car drives like a torpedo!

shadowmaker

Feb 28, 2007
Do you think turbocharger from Audi's 2.5 TDI would have been a better way to go? A friend of mine installed that one in his Skoda Fabia 1.9 TDI...he did some extra work too, but the car drives like a torpedo!

That's way better, but those tend to have surge effects down low with high fueling so they can't be spooled as low as one wants to. With it you can get some 200hp quite easily, but after that other engine modifications are needed.

I think best turbo to get over 200hp is GT1749b from PD150 as it spools really low. My friend got some four years ago 250hp, 550Nm with it on a highly modified engine, but fueling was lowered to 220hp, 450Nm level to keep EMPs low.

trqster

Apr 10, 2006
Lisbon - Portugal
Just a tip....vnt22's from Mercedes usually run very good on 1.9TDI's... But this turbo business is very tricky...for our "small" capacity blocks the best way to squeeze serious power without giving up too much pepiness down low is to have a hybrid made from a "standard" VNT22 with the right bits...
For instance dangerous huge boost spikes are usually a problem with 'big' turbos like the 22's which can be very tricky to control the vnt....

trqster

Apr 10, 2006
Lisbon - Portugal
I think best turbo to get over 200hp is GT1749b from PD150 as it spools really low. My friend got some four years ago 250hp, 550Nm with it on a highly modified engine, but fueling was lowered to 220hp, 450Nm level to keep EMPs low.

You mean a VNT1749VB?
250bhp from a VB!? :blink: What kind of engine mods did he have exactly!? that's pretty much unheard of where I come from.
What are EMP's?

shadowmaker

Feb 28, 2007
We have no problem to control boost as we have made an electronic device to do this. This is already working on my van, which is originally a non vnt engine.

turb0

That's way better, but those tend to have surge effects down low with high fueling so they can't be spooled as low as one wants to. With it you can get some 200hp quite easily, but after that other engine modifications are needed.

Other modifications such as?

:cry: English is not my native language so I am struggling with these abbreviations u guys use hehe...what is GT1749b and EMPs :(

trqster

Apr 10, 2006
Lisbon - Portugal
We have no problem to control boost as we have made an electronic device to do this. This is already working on my van, which is originally a non vnt engine.

Glad you don't. :)
Even if you did you could always count on the good old Dawes Device: http://www.dawesdevices.com/boost.html

PS - Still didn't answer my questions back on the previous post - you got me curious...
PS2 - Sorry if my English might not be that understandable for you - sometimes I just forget that I'm writing in a foreign language (like turb0) and wrongly assume that you understood my meaning. :doh:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.