3 coil packs in as many days!!!

leon7284

Chelsea Chelsea
Jun 13, 2006
Horsham, West Sussex
Got Revo stage 1 last weekend (big thanks to Simon at Mega4) and literally the next day bang goes a coil pack (cylinder 3) thought nothing of it as they're on my list of things that need doing then following day bang goes another (cylinder 2) rang simon at mega4 he said maybe coil packs on way out revo just speeded their decay- so ok ill change them all asap. Next day bang there goes another! (cylinder 4) God getting tired of these bloody things now! The forth has now been changed before that one gives up the fight.

Has anyone had this happen before? Is it a common thing? If so should they of told me to get them changed before i had the Revo?

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
its common for a remap to put extra strain on components and get them to show their problems sooner, its also common for coil packs to go in groups rather than individually. most people recommend changing all 4 if one goes.

leon7284

Chelsea Chelsea
Jun 13, 2006
Horsham, West Sussex
its common for a remap to put extra strain on components and get them to show their problems sooner, its also common for coil packs to go in groups rather than individually. most people recommend changing all 4 if one goes.

Just as i thought, so hopefully now none should go for a long time. Time will tell, but if they do start going again is there uprated ones on the market?

air121005

Sep 28, 2006
Worcestershire
my mate has had a similar problem with his MG, ZR (i think, the big 4 door sallon)

anyway, he'd had some work done at a dealer and for one reason or another they had to disconnect his ECU.

over the next week or so, had similar coil pack failures, think he had to exchange the new one 3 times thinking they were faulty.
had it diagnostic checked numerous times.
during the last diagnostic check, the loom burst into flames!!!!!

had to have a new loom and a few other plastic bits!

turns out the ECU hadn't been re-connected properly, the loose connection was causing the fault codes and finally caused the fire!

might be worth just checking all your connections are good:shrug:

air121005

Sep 28, 2006
Worcestershire
sorry to scare you, just thought i'd mention it.

it was probably a freak incident but a loose electrical connection can easily cause numerous problems!

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
i may very well be wrong but dont revo recode the ecu through the obd port? i'd have thought they wouldnt have to do any messing around under the bonnet?