Only pours - never rains

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
Went to pop into work (straight after last posting)- LCR started fine , let it warm up as normal - halfway to work large bang big cloud of brownish smoke out the back and totally dead engine - electrics all fine as dash lit up like a xmas tree.
MIL on and wont start - pushed to side of road. Tried a restart - started on 3 then cut out again. Fortunately had Torque Pro and OBD reader on hand.
Miss fire on cylinders 2 & 3, pending on 4 - Chances of 3 coil packs failing ?
Have just ordered 4 x Bosch coil packs and 4 x Bosch plugs from Carparts4Less for next day delivery

Fingers crossed its those pesky 16 year old coil packs ...............................................

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Have had 2 fail.
Also 2 fail one lap apart.
Remember to buy Bosch.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Went to pop into work (straight after last posting)- LCR started fine , let it warm up as normal - halfway to work large bang big cloud of brownish smoke out the back and totally dead engine - electrics all fine as dash lit up like a xmas tree.
MIL on and wont start - pushed to side of road. Tried a restart - started on 3 then cut out again. Fortunately had Torque Pro and OBD reader on hand.
Miss fire on cylinders 2 & 3, pending on 4 - Chances of 3 coil packs failing ?
Have just ordered 4 x Bosch coil packs and 4 x Bosch plugs from Carparts4Less for next day delivery

Fingers crossed its those pesky 16 year old coil packs ...............................................
The fact you had a bang would make me think something more serious tbh. Is the cambelt ok? What was the outcome with the coilpacks?

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
So 4 new coil packs (Genuine Bosch) and 4 new spark plugs (Genuine Bosch), The NGK's that came out were fine (N03 wet).

Cambelt intact (Gates racing) and not quite 3 years old.

Static compression test equates to 1 - 155.1, 2 - 153, 3 - 155 and for 153.8 - So would say for a 120,000 mile engine rather good.

Car has a peculiar smell though so am wondering if i've shat the cat (no codes) ?

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
If it ends up being the twin cats at fault, ive got some for sale (at apparently a great price) in the for sale section.

Reactions: Gokiwi64

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
How strange. What does it smell like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
Not pleasant - Not rotten eggs though - just not nice sort of metallic and burning ...I have checked underneath and nothing obvious .

In a completely surreal way if the smell doesn't go away I may have to fit a downpipe and decat !!! - Oh these things love causing hair loss and pain. (Saying that my mates boat is worse).

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
Not pleasant - Not rotten eggs though - just not nice sort of metallic and burning ...I have checked underneath and nothing obvious .

In a completely surreal way if the smell doesn't go away I may have to fit a downpipe and decat !!! - Oh these things love causing hair loss and pain. (Saying that my mates boat is worse).

Haha. How strange. I didn’t think you could fry the cat? Saying that. If you had a kiss and it forced fuel through the exhaust you may smell it burning off?

Any loss of coolant or oil or any smoke?

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
Nope no loss f any bodily fluids - just brain cells and hair

Have a long drive tomorrow - have renewed RAC - will find out I guess.

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
Right so the strange smell has gone, boosts hard really hard but there is a flat spot or a hesitation that I am sure wasn't there before.

Reactions: Sl1ced

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
Right so the strange smell has gone, boosts hard really hard but there is a flat spot or a hesitation that I am sure wasn't there before.

Double check for potential leaks. Got a boost gauge? Should throw a code if something is wrong

Reactions: mty12345

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
No codes used two different methods, Torque/Carista and VCDS.

2 boost gauges 1 x mechanical and one electronic both are withing 1psi of each other (max recorded 18psi), I am thinking it might be fueling and or timing.

But vcds is happy so not sure how to check fueling as dont have an AFR.

Oh and the Mrs Kia has just spat its dummy too :-(

smutts

Apr 12, 2020
Did the missfire melt the cat into a puddle of lava?
Big bang was probably the fuel exploding in the exhaust, brown dust the shattered cat.
Or, something else entirely!

Reactions: Sl1ced

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
No codes used two different methods, Torque/Carista and VCDS.

2 boost gauges 1 x mechanical and one electronic both are withing 1psi of each other (max recorded 18psi), I am thinking it might be fueling and or timing.

But vcds is happy so not sure how to check fueling as dont have an AFR.

Oh and the Mrs Kia has just spat its dummy too :-(
Just chucking a couple of things your way here as i think of them, but are you sure didn't have an intake pipe that's popped off, and has now kind of reseated itself, but not fully? Possibly the pipes going to the intercoolers? Were you on boost when it happened? If so, then if those pipes come off under boost then they can make a bang, and they would also give you black smoke out the exhaust due to the mixture going rich as your boost air escapes. The ultra rich mixture for those few seconds could also have caused the engine to stall and could also account for your multiple misfire codes (especialy the pending one on cylinder 4) The weird smell when she did start again could possibly have been the unburnt fuel still in the cat?

I shouldn't think it's anything to do with the fueling as you would get a fault code, but you do have an AFR, it's the O2 sensor built into the exhaust. If you go to "measuring blocks" inside the engine control module on VCDS, then group 31 will show the requested fueling (lambda value) vs the actual fuelling.

If it runs and drives fine apart from the occasional flat spot, then i shouldn't have thought it could be anything to do with the timing either. As long as the timing belt is ok then not really any other way it could be out of time, and if it was then you would also get a error.

Hope some of my ramblings are of some help lol

Last edited:

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
Hmmmm - More investigations needed methinks - Very interesting a valid points.
Were you on boost when it happened? - Yes
If you go to "measuring blocks" inside the engine control module on VCDS, then group 31 will show the requested fueling (lambda value) vs the actual fuelling. - Sunday's task
Hope some of my ramblings are of some help -Yes :)

Reactions: oggydoodaa
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members