3" vs 2.5" downpipe on a stage 2 k03s

Jul 4, 2010
Cambs
What are the advantages in having a 3" downpipe into a 2.5" catback over just a 2.5" all the way?

Sound?
Performance?

Surely it cant flow anymore because it will be restricted by the 2.5".. just a bit further along the exhaust.

Cheers

tarzan

cupra owner from norway
Mar 15, 2008
drammen norway
mine is 3 all the way to the2,5 back box:D
DSC00029.jpg

tarzan

cupra owner from norway
Mar 15, 2008
drammen norway
had standard downpipe with 2.5 catback before and the difference were fater/better spool and great noice when i floored it:)

Jul 4, 2010
Cambs
most of the gains probably came from ditching the standard dp, i already have a 2.5" milltek on it. Im trying to find out if its worth going any bigger as my exhaust is blowing like a bitch and I might just get a new system.

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
most of the gains probably came from ditching the standard dp, i already have a 2.5" milltek on it. Im trying to find out if its worth going any bigger as my exhaust is blowing like a bitch and I might just get a new system.

Waste of time on a little k03/s... Remember that you need some back pressure to help aid the turbo..

Jul 4, 2010
Cambs
Yeah i was thinking that, it doesnt really flow enough to warrant 3" getting it up on a ramp friday so I will find out then where exactly its leaking

Mark300zx

Apr 24, 2008
Surrey/SW London
With a 3 inch dp you would get better spool up and better bhp but may a smidgeon less torque, I think I would prefer to get rid of back pressure and the higher egts that go with it!

NVM

Oct 17, 2010
its all dependant on wastegate setting.. boost settings to adapt to a 3" dp..

the general rule for a turbo that size is 2.5".. Stepping a 3" to a 2.5" box is a good idea so long as total calculated EGT is cool enough by the time it gets to the backbox, for it not to be a restriction!

Jul 4, 2007
bristol
Sorry late reply i have been flat out with my engine rebuild. Yes it does sound a lot different lots of pops and bangs one time it flamed and scared the hell out of me I love it and would recommend it to anyone over a cat. my lambda has been mapped out too.

Jul 4, 2010
Cambs
Thats alright mate hows it going anyway.. found the problem?.. Dont you have to have CC software to be able to map it out though? What would happen if i didnt get it mapped out? Throw up a warning light?

Jul 4, 2007
bristol
Yer the builds going well got je forged pistons uprated rods. New gearbox. Ported and flowed head. Bored out to 1.9. New turbo. It's all go. The car will be ready for bt if I decide to go the route next year.
And yer it would throw up a code if it's not mapped out.

Jul 4, 2010
Cambs
It is all go! you doing the work yourself? did you change all the gaskets when you fitted the k03s on mine? cos the turbo to manifold gasket has blown.. sounds like a tractor:( also how long you reckon that would take to change?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.