6J Ibiza Cupra tidy up

dan103

Sep 18, 2017
I think I paid a little over a 100 pounds for a second hand one. The aftermarket one I had was garbage, creeked, couldn't support your arm etc.
Yeh that was my concern about the ebay ones . ive seen some on a website called armster . been thinking about getting one of theirs. they appear to look quite good

Coopercupra

Jan 5, 2019
I used to really enjoy detailing a car, but I fell out of love with it. Decided to blow the dust of the old DA. I was also intrigued by these new ceramic waxes so I got some meguiars ceramic liquid wax. Was super easy to apply and buff off.

Here is a wee sample of what I use. Everyone has a process that works for them. For me - tar and asphalt remover, snowfoam, shampoo with 2 bucket method, clay bar, heavy compound, light compound, commercial polish, finishing owlish, then this time ceramic wax, (2 coats). Also using a selection of pads.

EExS03B.jpg

Fairly happy with the result, really wasn't too bad to start with.

CRV2xbx.jpg

One thing that has annoyed me has been the wing mirror caps. They had water transfer carbon effect, which looked good, but I guess it was many years since it was applied. I tried to refresh it last year with a new layer of clear coat, but it just cracked under the heat of the sun. The times being as they are, i though I would just try to improve them with what I had. I gently sanded (using wet and dry) of the old topcoat and water transfer. then a couple of coats of an black spray can i had. Wet colour sand with 1200 grit then a cutting compound and a polish. I was impressed with the results.

I7RG4bC.jpg

All done

FkcjaaT.jpg

LU93rg1.jpg

Last edited:

Coopercupra

Jan 5, 2019
Worked out well enough with etc wing mirror caps, I decided to do the same with the bumper trims and the rear "diffuser". Like the mirror caps, the top coat and the water transfer were both lifting/pealing. The diffuser was a bit challenging due to its size, I wasn't sure it would look good enough with just a spray can.

Sanded back and painted with a rattle can. Colour sanded, cutting compound on a DA and polish.
Also plastic dipped the front emblem.

Pretty happy:

bpM9qND.jpg

p6WCZjE.jpg

F9m0E1J.jpg

kGQ0M5L.jpg

Coopercupra

Jan 5, 2019
Haven't updated in a while! Haven't had anything go write :)

Car works perfectly, I reckon I have done 8000 miles since the rebuilt engine and it still runs perfect.

I know these engines have a bad reputation, but when working they really are great. 220ish bhp in such a light car (revo stage 2 and hardware). Together with the lowered springs and Koni dampeners, makes it really responsive. When you want it will return 42mpg.

1eqRmXu.jpg

mKjUoLg.jpg

Reactions: SimonSystems
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise