80K Service and Cambelt... steep price?

Flameboydan

Oct 23, 2005
Swindon + Nottingham
I've just been quoted £368 for an 80,000 miles service, and £399 for a cambelt change from the stealers.

Sounds a little steep to me, I'm sure it should be a lot less than that. How much have you guys paid / expect to pay?

I'm sure I read someone on here had it done for half that, but dealer seems adamant that that's the fair price for it.

('04 Leon Tdi 130)

Last edited:

bicbiro

i was quoted by my (little garage) down the road £90.00 for 80k service and £100.00 for the cam belt change
then again i,ve only got a little,o 1.4cc:D and that was genuin parts...(he is a brembo dealer in brakes and exhaust and was originaly only engine refits,but now he does it all)

Last edited by a moderator:

vngtx

cambelt about 20 quid just for belt, 40 for tensioners, plus 2 hours labour at 40 quid an hour. service - oil 20 quid, air filter 10 quid at most, fuel filter tenner too. plus 1.5 hours labour. thats 220 quid.

Flameboydan

Oct 23, 2005
Swindon + Nottingham
I hope there going to use lube when they rape you lmao.

:lol: I did ask what the service entails for the pricely sum of £368 - the guy listed off a few filters and then ran of of things to say. He even resorted to saying they would 'check things over' just to make sure they're ok. Well, that's definitely worth paying a few hundred extra for I'd say, I could never check things over myself.

So how much have you guys paid? And where abouts was the garage you had it done?

S17EW O

i paid 220 for cam belt, tensioner and water pump all genuine all fitted which i was happy with.

Flameboydan

Oct 23, 2005
Swindon + Nottingham
cambelt about 20 quid just for belt, 40 for tensioners, plus 2 hours labour at 40 quid an hour. service - oil 20 quid, air filter 10 quid at most, fuel filter tenner too. plus 1.5 hours labour. thats 220 quid.

Their labor charge is £89/hour. I don't even think they charge that at the beemer garage down the road!

vngtx

my garage only charges 40 quid an hour. i cant see a belt on a tdi taking that long anyway.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
We charge £80 per hour plus VAT and thats actually pretty cheap these days (last dealer I worked at was £100 per hour but that was in MK).

I used to quote £250ish for a cambelt inc water pump on a PD at Unit18 which was a fair price. Cambelt kit is just under £100 iirc, £30 for pump, £15 for coolant etc.

1.8T bit more as you should change the tensioner damper which is £80 on its own.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
i know a dealer who will do a major service (40/80k) for £199 and a belt swap on a Tdi pd for £250 inc vat.
Prices your looking at would be:

Oil (long life 2/3 fully syn) - £35 for 4.5 litres
oil filter - £7
air filter - £15
pollen filter - £12
fuel filter - £18
timing belt kit (belt, tensioner, iddler roller and new nuts) - £100

And it would be just short of 2 hours labour for the service and 2.5 for the belt change so 4.5 hours (£65 per hour)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.