a 'cure' for condensation on wind / rear screen?

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
had my car a few months and only complaint (aside from a-pillars [B)]) is wind / rear screen sometimes suffering from condensation. it's a weird one in my car as it can either be the whole screen or sometimes i get in and all is well, except for a small oval of moisture above the dash vent. this led me to suspect air was somehow getting in through that vent, causing the condensation. i've never suffered from the door glass condensation thing.

someone at work said to me 'try putting your air con to the footwell / down setting before switching off.' have been doing so for just under a week now and, touch wood, car has been fine. now i ain't getting too excited yet as sometimes days can go by with my car being fine then one time i'll go out and bang, soaking windows ... however for now i'm keeping my fingers crossed!

has anyone else tried this 'fix' with success?

Mar 26, 2007
Norn Iron
I must try that, sometimes I get into the car and the front and rear are totally covered like you said, and it takes ages to clear!

Though sometimes it doesnt do that, Im also thinking its something to do with the settings you leave the car in when you turn it off.

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
I must try that, sometimes I get into the car and the front and rear are totally covered like you said, and it takes ages to clear!

Though sometimes it doesnt do that, Im also thinking its something to do with the settings you leave the car in when you turn it off.

i change it to down setting approx. 10 secs before i switch off, just to make sure the internals have completely changed away from other vents. as i say seems to be working ... so far!

lard-ajc

Nov 22, 2007
Leicestershire
other option is to switch off the aircon (i.e. go to econ mode) for the last 5 mins or so of the journey - that'll clear the moisture from the air con condenser and leave the system dry

Dec 15, 2007
South East London
In the cold weather or wet I only use air con to demist the screen then turn it off and just have econ but blowing up, down and out too (all possible ways) and just flick the air con on for a minute or two if the screen mists up (rarely) and ive never had any condensation, ice, wet windows or anything else ive read about on here...

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
dont think anything really works :( i even tried turning the controls to recirc so as to close the vents but no effect. must be the cabin ventilation design . . . . .

this has been working for me so far but i'll keep the board posted. obviously it'll depend what's causing our individual issues e.g. for me it might be dash vent, for others it might badly sealed windscreen, for others the door issue etc. i'm not counting my chickens yet though ...

scottyboy88

i noticed my windscreen was also covered in condensation the other morning when it was icey outside…..dunno whats caused it! i also get moisture on the inside of my doors in the corners of the windows by the seals….any body have the same problem at all?

scottyboy88

thanks for the help…..did u also get it on the passenger windows in the corners? and is it difficult to change the pollen filter??

LE03EON

Nov 15, 2013
Yeah it was pretty bad . Would take a good 10-15mins to get rid of . You'll be suprised the amount of stuff that filter stops from getting into the system. Be worth you getting something to catch all the bits when you remove it.

scottyboy88

thanks for help guys…..so the pollen filter is also whats causing the damp in the corners of the passenger door windows?

LE03EON

Nov 15, 2013
We'll the way you explain it seems to be exactly what happened to me . I've changed it a while back now and touch wood all is ok . And for the sake of a few quid and 5mins of your life I would just do it anyway