A day of discovery and help needed again

DarrenGI

Aug 31, 2020
Surrey
As they say everyday's a school day. Looks like I've fixed the water leak(s) in the front of the car by replacing the foam strips around the doors with butyl, thanks to a brilliant detailed document from a thread from here, clearing the drain holes in the doors and in the bulkhead and sealing where the wiring loom goes through.
wiring loom into bulkhead sealed.jpg

So that's the good bits.

The not so good bits found another small leak into the boot, looks like there are a few threads here so I'll look to see what to do.

when remounting the wipers managed to break the driver side by over tightening it
broken wiper.jpg

:cry: Any idea where I can get a replacement - looked on ebay but can't see anything - anyone know of any good breakers yards? - I've found one(y)

and started to clean the engine bay taking the cover off the engine found this pipe is split.
split pipe with arrow.jpg

Can anyone tell me what it is so I can get a replacement, it looks like might be a bit of swine to replace - this might explain why I've got an intermittent poor running
Thanks Darren

Last edited:

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
On the wiper side, you could do the MKIV Golf aero upgrade. It opens up your options a bit as well so you don't need to look just for Leon ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DarrenGI

Battoussai

Mar 22, 2016
Portugal
On the wiper side, you could do the MKIV Golf aero upgrade. It opens up your options a bit as well so you don't need to look just for Leon ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a good option I was about to mention. :) Plenty of MK4 laying around (here)..

DarrenGI

Aug 31, 2020
Surrey
Thanks all for the advice I've got a Leon one ordered but did it before these suggestions came in but will have a look at the mkIV golf
Cheers

DarrenGI

Aug 31, 2020
Surrey
just when you thought it was safe to .......... say I've cured the water leak. The front is dry!! but I have a leak into the boot I can't see where exactly but it's running behind the nearside rear seat belt mounting down the rear wheel arch into the boot?

oggydoodaa

Dec 13, 2015
Basingstoke
just when you thought it was safe to .......... say I've cured the water leak. The front is dry!! but I have a leak into the boot I can't see where exactly but it's running behind the nearside rear seat belt mounting down the rear wheel arch into the boot?
Sometimes the rear lights can leak into the boot have you checked this?

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
just when you thought it was safe to .......... say I've cured the water leak. The front is dry!! but I have a leak into the boot I can't see where exactly but it's running behind the nearside rear seat belt mounting down the rear wheel arch into the boot

Under the carpet on the side wall of the boot there is the piping for the rear washer jet.
There is a T connector which is prone to fall off etc and leak into boot.
Does your rear washer jet work correctly. If not it is most likely your culprit.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

DarrenGI

Aug 31, 2020
Surrey
Sometimes the rear lights can leak into the boot have you checked this?
Hi oggydoodaa, thank you, you are right there is a very small amount coming from both sides rear lights, the ones in the rear panels not the boot. Just need to work out how to get them out and what to seal them with. Thanks Darren

Reactions: oggydoodaa

DarrenGI

Aug 31, 2020
Surrey
Under the carpet on the side wall of the boot there is the piping for the rear washer jet.
There is a T connector which is prone to fall off etc and leak into boot.
Does your rear washer jet work correctly. If not it is most likely your culprit.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.
Hi Sparkie, thank you yep you're right the connector was only partly pushed on so that will help, but this is where the water is coming in
ns rear seatbelt mount.jpg

ns rear seatbelt mount water.jpg

and this was full
ns water rear of wheel arch.jpg

Reactions: Snoopy

Dazzalcr

Aug 10, 2019
This looks somewhat familiar, I had a leak like this in these areas and mine was coming in through the boot hinges, the rain was coming in through a tiny gap on the ns boot hinge I put some clear sealant around it and its been good ever since but was a pain a stripped it like you have, a Google search may help you its seems a few have had this issue.

DarrenGI

Aug 31, 2020
Surrey
This looks somewhat familiar, I had a leak like this in these areas and mine was coming in through the boot hinges, the rain was coming in through a tiny gap on the ns boot hinge I put some clear sealant around it and its been good ever since but was a pain a stripped it like you have, a Google search may help you its seems a few have had this issue.
Cheers Dazzalcr I'll have a bit of a Google and try and have a look at the car at the weekend.

DarrenGI

Aug 31, 2020
Surrey
Oh crap the weather has definitely changed this morning and the condensation is back with a vengeance on both front and rear screens ?. I'm hoping it's all from the leak in the boot as the back seats are down, otherwise I'll rename the car "Seive Leon" and buy a galloon of petrol and have my own personal socially distanced bonfire night :).

Reactions: oggydoodaa

Snoopy

Apr 24, 2002
Durham, England.
Oh. looks like I have the same boot leak as you except mines on the opposite side of the boot. I watched the rain water come round the rear of the arch corner to the box section behind. If you find out the reason before I do please let me know. Thanks.

DarrenGI

Aug 31, 2020
Surrey
Oh. looks like I have the same boot leak as you except mines on the opposite side of the boot. I watched the rain water come round the rear of the arch corner to the box section behind. If you find out the reason before I do please let me know. Thanks.
Hi Ballie, I think I have the answer, but will know for definite tomorrow as it's been raining this evening and I have what I hope is a temporary fix done.
Pouring water around the hinge, made it leak in the same place behind the rear seat belt mounting so I tried to carefully remove the black cover below
boot hinge cover.jpg

and guess what I broke the fixings
boot hinge cover removed.jpg

but interestingly there was some butyl adhesive/sealer behind it so it looks like it might have been done in the first 6 years of it's life before I got the car.
Using a small watering can I poured water over the left fixing and sure enough a leak in the same place..... and then it started raining so I did a temporary fix
boot hinge cover temp seal.jpg

so I hope tomorrow it's dry (not raining and dry in the car), then I'll stick the cover on with a lot of butyl adhesive.
The odd thing is, what's the point of the black cover, other than provide two holes for the water to come in? :)

Snoopy

Apr 24, 2002
Durham, England.
Thanks, I hope thats all it is. I will try a temp fix like you have above with tape to test mine too first Just Incase its the actual seal round the hinge thats the issue as sticking those black panels back on then having to try take them off again would just be my luck.
Thanks again and let us know how you get on.

DarrenGI

Aug 31, 2020
Surrey
My beer induced smugness last night was washed away with the water in the space behind the rear wheel arch this morning. The tape didn't work so back out now to have another go - it might just have been the tape letting water in but I think there is another leak :cry:

DarrenGI

Aug 31, 2020
Surrey
Thanks, I hope thats all it is. I will try a temp fix like you have above with tape to test mine too first Just Incase its the actual seal round the hinge thats the issue as sticking those black panels back on then having to try take them off again would just be my luck.
Thanks again and let us know how you get on.
Not sure where the hinge seal is so need to have a look at that as it looks like it may be the culprit

Snoopy

Apr 24, 2002
Durham, England.
Just the sealent round the boot hinge in that opening as i know thats a week spot on the mk7 Golfs as it flexes and then cracks if wind catches the hatch and makes it flex.

I have removed both the two black panels today and broke one of the plastic clip inserts like you did. Ive taped mine up with duct tape to test as you did. Its supposed to rain heavy in the morning so i will see if it helps mine. What got me was the black panel was loose on my passenger side but the area were yours is getting water is bone dry on mine. Mines the other side.

Just some info about these black panels from your photo discriptions. Mine have the same sealer as yours and my car was my late fathers from new before i got it over 8 yrs ago so i know whats been done too mine over time. So this is the factory finish. Why these plastic clips go into a threaded nut inserts is anyones guess.

Guess we will keep looking. Makes you feel like were missing something obvious though.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarrenGI

DarrenGI

Aug 31, 2020
Surrey
OK so poured water very specifically over the tape covering the left hole of the black cover and no water leak (y)
Did the same over the right hole and hey presto a little trickle of water. So took a step backwards and poured water over the seam sealer which as you can see has seen better days
boot hinge probable leak.jpg

and sure enough a little trickle of water, looks like I may have found the leak, ? .
I've ordered a cartridge of seam sealer which should be here tomorrow and I'll give it a go, if not raining or too late. It looks like a few of the seams on the nearside have small cracks so will also need sealing as well.