A Rust Question

mcd90

Daz McD
Nov 27, 2011
Montrose, Scotland
Il see what they are saying at my service, then if nothing happens will see about a body shop sorting it out.
Possibly a cheeky wax on wax off at the start of spring to prevent happening anywhere else seeing as few folk have had it done. Cheers folks (Y)

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
worse on the drivers side

IMG_1096.jpg

IMG_1097.jpg

passenger side starting

IMG_1098.jpg

That rust is from where someone has attempted/succeeded to break into your car with a metal coat hanger. Seat will not pay to repair that.

Stokie

Mk3 Leon Fr184
May 24, 2010
Stoke
That rust is from where someone has attempted/succeeded to break into your car with a metal coat hanger. Seat will not pay to repair that.

WRONG - i can bet every mk4 Ibiza has marks there (mine does, just no rust) its from the rubber seal rubbing the paint work, nothing you can do about it eitha ;)

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland

WRONG - i can bet every mk4 Ibiza has marks there (mine does, just no rust) its from the rubber seal rubbing the paint work, nothing you can do about it eitha ;)

Both wrong. It's a join in the paint. Nothing to do with cost hangers or the rubber.

mcd90

Daz McD
Nov 27, 2011
Montrose, Scotland
all these waxes etc are kind of pointless for me seeing as the rust has already appeared..?

I dont really think iv had an attempted break in, on the pictures its clearly at a join in the paint, and it must be from where there is a slight leak sometimes. suppose i better get the rubber seal replaced =/

mgrays

Dec 9, 2006
Aberdeen
Both wrong. It's a join in the paint. Nothing to do with cost hangers or the rubber.

Explain???

Any paint jobs I do.. I blend one over the other so there is no "join"

It is where the rubber lip from the rubber seal is rubbing on the paint .. you see on every high mileage car as the doors wobble around and this fretting wears the paint. Thin paint makes it more likely to happen. Buying new rubber seals will not change it. Wax of some sort does a short term fix; repainting and then keeping car waxed and clean is the long term solution but not cheap.

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Explain???

It is where the rubber lip from the rubber seal is rubbing on the paint .. you see on every high mileage car as the doors wobble around and this fretting wears the paint. Thin paint makes it more likely to happen. Buying new rubber seals will not change it. Wax of some sort does a short term fix; repainting and then keeping car waxed and clean is the long term solution but not cheap.

You didn't paint ibizas in the factory though :lol:
My car, and others I've looked at, had that line from new. So it's nothing to do with the door rubber.

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
You didn't paint ibizas in the factory though :lol:
My car, and others I've looked at, had that line from new. So it's nothing to do with the door rubber.

You've saw mine and i've got that line as well but mines is very faint i would say. The really fine scratches cause by the seal just polish out.

Stokie

Mk3 Leon Fr184
May 24, 2010
Stoke
Explain???

Exactly what i said, its the seals that cause it nothing to do with a "a join in the paint" for start mine dont have no join in the paint there (ive checked)

Its very clear on my car the seals done it cause there very faint light marks where it rubs

Last edited:

mcd90

Daz McD
Nov 27, 2011
Montrose, Scotland
I had an appointment at a vag bodyshop today where i found out...NOTHING. He took a couple of photo's, said he doesnt usually get cars in with this type of problem and that was it. I will get a phonecall the end of next week to deicide there verdict. When i went to book this appointment a different guy did say that there is a 12 year corrosion garantee for Audi and VW but wasnt sure on Seat. I dont see why not really... :confused:

mcd90

Daz McD
Nov 27, 2011
Montrose, Scotland
just off the phone with the bodyshop and its not good news. [:@] because of where the rust is, and because the door is continually opening and closing this is classed as 'mechanical damage' which refuses the warranty. when i asked about rust along the arches (even though i dont have) he said it was also classed as mechanical damage :confused:

So i have no idea on what is not mechanical damage.

Anyway i was quoted £265 to have the A Pillars prepared and painted. Do you think this price is decent? There is not much bodyshops in my area so it might just have to be done :(

FR_MATT

Jun 2, 2010
I checked mine and I have a line in the same place as yours but no rust (yet)!

Only thing I can think is to pursue a claim that it is a major design flaw and SEAT's fault

It is only where the inner seal is on mine, so I think it is from the door and possibly made worst if the paint is thinner there. I'm thinking about going over it with lacquer while it hasn't rusted to give it a bit of extra protection.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members