A way to easier exhaust crackle and pop Cupra 290

Crownformer

Overrun master
Mar 6, 2017
Hello all,

I have just re-registered since getting back into the fold: originally owned a MY03 black Cupra way back in 2002 and former member, but now owner (since Saturday!) of a black 5dr 290!

It's good to be back :)

So having also found limited exhaust noises since purchase, I felt it vital to address and investigate for the sake of enjoyment of the 290 exhaust community...

Having owned a TVR Griffith 500 for about 15 years, I am pleased to say that there are certain conditions for obtaining "that" exhaust snap crackle and pop, which are common to both cars....

The reason why the 290 on the YouTube clips and in practice makes the crackling sound is in fact fuel overrun.

In order to get the sound to occur try the following:

Ensure the car is up to operating temperature (90 for coolant; ideally 100+ for oil)

As stated earlier in this thread, the "zone" for the popping is from around 4200 rpm downwards so the trick is to get the revs to fall through this band with the last gearchange (i.e. If downshifting from say 3rd to 2nd, you won't get the sound if the revs when into 2nd start above the zone)

The exhaust system needs to be hot-VITAL for sound generation

The fuel overrun occurs when traces of fuel vapour enter the exhaust system and ignite, creating a pressure wave=the pop and crackle. As such, heavy depression of the throttle in a higher gear before downchanging into the lower gear, essentially primes the "excess" vapour into the system and results in the noise we all want to hear

It's harder in a car with DSG with regard to "gauging" where the revs will be on downchange compared to manual, but as mentioned earlier in the thread, the DSG is so rapid with shifts it actually helps with the pressure wave formation!

So when it's all nice and hot, try burying the throttle in 3rd (DSG in manual) at around 2000rpm (ish- can't remember ratios exactly), then downchange to 2nd... BUT DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE ONCE IN THE LOWER GEAR. The revs will rise to about 4000 ish and as the needle falls through the "zone" you WILL hear the snap crackle pop ....

Repeat as appropriate ....:p

Sonofzelda

What the covfefe!
Sep 25, 2016
Rugby
If you're a Rice Krispy fan get down to Donington Park on Thursday for the BTCC press day. Opens 12.30 with free entry, parking and aural delights. [B)]

Eggy

Jun 3, 2016
Estonia
Currently my 290 ST MT6 has no resonator and back mufflers are replaced. I can hear nice cracks all over the range, it even do not want to have that much acceleration/load to engine. But true, the 4k rpm and coming down from there made the nicest ones with the resonator.