Fitting TTRS Clutch to a manual 2016 290 ST - Any experiences?

DrEv1l

Mar 17, 2017
Hi All,

My 290 ST has a stage one map on it putting out around 370 BHP. The pedal is not popping back up when cold and it is difficult at times to get it to go into 2nd gear. There also the odd whiff of clutch at times. The garage I went to said that these were signs of the clutch being on it's way out so Im after some advice.

I've had a sachs organic clutch previously which was strong enough to handle stage one no issues but after 50K on it I was sick of the heavy feel of the pedal. I swapped to a Helix clutch which was much better in pedal feel but after approx 30K it appears to be giving up. I've seen on other forums talk of putting a TTRS clutch into the mk2 and also mk 3 as a better "OEM Feel" solution. Anyone on here have any experience of it?

Im based around gloucester so any recommendations on a reliable trustworthy garage to get a seconsd opinion I would be grateful too.

Thanks again,

redone

Nov 28, 2023
my car has a lazy return to the clutch. your description sounds like a clutch cylinder as well, in-part. perhaps that may alleviate?

also in gloucester and in search of a goto garage if anyone can vouch??

used to have an s3 with sachs and did 60k/year and it nearly sent me to autos after. i saw a mk2 thread where the guy was taking about a “diesel ttrs (sachs)” with no update. does not make sense to me. another thread mentioned that the pressure plate was the weakest link and replacing that with an oem ttrs pressure plate would help with the issue. he had a unitronic stage 2 clutch too tho.

did you get you map done locally?

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEv1l

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Hi All,

My 290 ST has a stage one map on it putting out around 370 BHP. The pedal is not popping back up when cold and it is difficult at times to get it to go into 2nd gear. There also the odd whiff of clutch at times. The garage I went to said that these were signs of the clutch being on it's way out so Im after some advice.

I've had a sachs organic clutch previously which was strong enough to handle stage one no issues but after 50K on it I was sick of the heavy feel of the pedal. I swapped to a Helix clutch which was much better in pedal feel but after approx 30K it appears to be giving up. I've seen on other forums talk of putting a TTRS clutch into the mk2 and also mk 3 as a better "OEM Feel" solution. Anyone on here have any experience of it?

Im based around gloucester so any recommendations on a reliable trustworthy garage to get a seconsd opinion I would be grateful too.

Thanks again,
TTRS mkII manual clutch and pressure plate is part number is: 07K141015B

This link suggests it can/is fitted to mk7 platforms - but may need pressure plate dowel holes re-drilling? i.e. not just bolt on.

Reactions: DrEv1l and DEAN0

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
TTRS mkII manual clutch and pressure plate is part number is: 07K141015B

This link suggests it can/is fitted to mk7 platforms - but may need pressure plate dowel holes re-drilling? i.e. not just bolt on.
Yep - quite a few threads on TTRS clutch in Mk7 golf/mk3 leon

Reactions: DrEv1l and SuperV8

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Interesting link:

Probably a pertinent point:

*EDIT* I've gotten a lot of question as to why there's two clutch disks. This is because the one that comes with the TTRS pressure plate has the wrong spline count. Therefore you cannot use it. Unfortunately, they only sell the pressure plate along with that flywheel, hence why you have to buy another clutch disk that fits.

Reactions: DEAN0

DrEv1l

Mar 17, 2017
my car has a lazy return to the clutch. your description sounds like a clutch cylinder as well, in-part. perhaps that may alleviate?

also in gloucester and in search of a goto garage if anyone can vouch??

used to have an s3 with sachs and did 60k/year and it nearly sent me to autos after. i saw a mk2 thread where the guy was taking about a “diesel ttrs (sachs)” with no update. does not make sense to me. another thread mentioned that the pressure plate was the weakest link and replacing that with an oem ttrs pressure plate would help with the issue. he had a unitronic stage 2 clutch too tho.

did you get you map done locally?
Sorry for the late reply, life has been getting in the way of the fun stuff. Thanks for the reply. Yep i had you on the sachs, i started getting hip pain off you can belive that as i was doing 15 to 20k a year on it.

Anyway, i got a stage one revo map from severn valley automotive in Tewkesbury who have been OK for stuff as one of the guys there had a cupra. I would go to bagder 5 racing in cirencester to get dyno map as they seem to have a good rep and run a cupra race car.

Reactions: redone

DrEv1l

Mar 17, 2017
Thanks for sharing this! I'm still not 100 sure the clutch itself is duff or the master or slave cylinder. I need a good second opinion...

DrEv1l

Mar 17, 2017
Do you know if the clutch delay valve has been removed ?
I found it gave a much nicer feel to the clutch.
Hi There, Im pretty sure that it was. This delay has appeared over time so I am sure it was originally removed when I had the first clutch fitted.

I will check though, just in sace.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members